LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Strategy For The Best Deal on a '04+ CL?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-14, 12:25 PM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Strategy For The Best Deal on a '04+ CL?

So after months of research, and quite a bit of help from this community, I've decided on a car that I intend to drive for the next several years:

2004+ LS430
Custom Luxury Package (though I would consider well-maint UL, or ML with sport package)
Black Leather Interior
Ext Color preference:
1: Flint Mica
2: Silver
3: Black

In order to get the best deal, I'm searching for higher mileage - 120k-180k range, and the goal is to find one with records up to current milage on Lexus.com, for peace of mind that we can go to 300k+. Then it's to check the underbody and door edges to look for any signs of rust.

I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, in the middle of the midwest. I've been searching within 500 miles, though for the right car I'd consider further, so I've expanded that search to 1k miles.

My target price point is $10k. I've seen a few around $10.9k-$11.5k that are close to the above description, but their service history falls off after the first 50-100k miles. One of them is a CL with 190k, which is a bit higher than I want to go, and another is a ML with 140k, but it's a ML.... and I think I would really miss the laminated glass. My main reason for going with the LS is how quiet it is.

I've been searching Autotrader, Cars.com, and Craigslist using SearchTempest.com to look at every craigslist location within 1k miles. I'm searching for cars up to $12k, assuming that I can likely talk people down $1-2k with cash in hand. Also keeping my eye on the classifieds here.

Any additional suggestions from anyone? Other sites that I should be searching? Different parameters? Alternatives to Lexus.com service history that would offer similar peace of mind on the higher mileage cars?

Thanks so much for all your help!
Old 01-05-14, 01:35 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Generally, I think you pay a bit more purchasing at a name-brand dealer, but typically you can get a "bridge" warranty like 60 days - 3K miles for peace of mind. Also, the high volume Lexus dealers get trade-ins so they know the car, and it's not an auction car. I'd suggest that you expand your search (as I did) and contact Sewell Lexus in Dallas - tell them what your parameters are, and they will keep an eye out for you. I'd also check their website regularly. Also, suggest you directly check the websites of Lexus dealers within your radius of travel. Finally, many Mercedes Benz and similar dealerships receive trade-ins of the LS430. The Mercedes Benz dealer in Des Moines is one such place that sees it's share of LS's. One caution: Since you are set on a price vs. mileage trade-off, the name-brand dealers tend to not keep their higher mileage cars so you'd be looking at secondary dealers and private parties.
Old 01-05-14, 01:44 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Know how to spot a CL from pics rather than descriptions - which are often wrong. See some of my old posts about doing this.

CLs weren't that popular, so finding one can be tough. I found mine (30K miles, flint mica) after about a month of looking and it was 1800 miles away. Finding a high mileage CL with good maintenance history is asking a lot. Good luck in your search.
Old 01-05-14, 02:05 PM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Tom57
Generally, I think you pay a bit more purchasing at a name-brand dealer, but typically you can get a "bridge" warranty like 60 days - 3K miles for peace of mind. Also, the high volume Lexus dealers get trade-ins so they know the car, and it's not an auction car. I'd suggest that you expand your search (as I did) and contact Sewell Lexus in Dallas - tell them what your parameters are, and they will keep an eye out for you. I'd also check their website regularly. Also, suggest you directly check the websites of Lexus dealers within your radius of travel. Finally, many Mercedes Benz and similar dealerships receive trade-ins of the LS430. The Mercedes Benz dealer in Des Moines is one such place that sees it's share of LS's. One caution: Since you are set on a price vs. mileage trade-off, the name-brand dealers tend to not keep their higher mileage cars so you'd be looking at secondary dealers and private parties.
Alright, I emailed Sewell and bookmarked a search on their pre-owned inventory. I'll seek out the Lexus dealerships throughout the midwest and do the same.

As for secondary dealers and private parties - any sites beyond craigslist, here, autotrader and cars.com I should be using?

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Know how to spot a CL from pics rather than descriptions - which are often wrong. See some of my old posts about doing this.

CLs weren't that popular, so finding one can be tough. I found mine (30K miles, flint mica) after about a month of looking and it was 1800 miles away. Finding a high mileage CL with good maintenance history is asking a lot. Good luck in your search.
Yes, CL's have Nav & headlight washers, but no suspension settings, no rear vents by the lights, and have the ski pass.

Would UL's be easier to find? The only reason I shy away is that I'm looking for dependable, and I'm not sure that the air suspension (or a swap) is attractive from that angle.
Old 01-05-14, 03:05 PM
hms09
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would try looking on E-Bay also. Good Luck. there are several on there right now.
Old 01-05-14, 03:17 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If pictures would help, download the pdf document in post #84 of the thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...y-package.html
Old 01-05-14, 03:52 PM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hms09
I would try looking on E-Bay also. Good Luck. there are several on there right now.
Good idea, I'll head over there now.
Originally Posted by Gene01
If pictures would help, download the pdf document in post #84 of the thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...y-package.html
Yessir, that's been my reference for choosing which packages I'd want. Thanks though!
Old 01-05-14, 05:02 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

The CL is definitely harder to find. Like caddyowner, I searched for 2 months (Oct. & Nov. '13) and found the CL I wanted in Portland, Oregon some 2,300 miles from home. I saw many more ULs in my search, and I would say that all things being equal, the ULs were offered at a more significant discount off their list prices than the CLs - probably due to the known air suspension repair costs, and the fact that there are fewer CLs to be found. My local Lexus parts manager talked me out of the UL (he has one, I previously drove a corporate-owned one). The CL also has upgraded leather seats, suede leather headliner, and dynamic laser cruise control (see small window in lower front passenger side bumper). IMO the CL is a significant upgrade to the ML.
Old 01-05-14, 05:20 PM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

I've found a few decent deals on the UL - should I actively try to avoid the UL? Is it all air suspensions that have troubles, or is there just a higher likelihood of troubles? I really like the idea of the fancy rear seat options, the cooler, the easy access key thing, etc. An UL without the air suspension would be perfect. Thoughts on weighing the pro's and con's?
Old 01-05-14, 05:54 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

When you set out strict guidelines on what you want you are really limiting yourself and your chances of finding a gem.

There might be a deal of a lifetime on an LS close by and you would miss it because you are narrowing your search down too much.

also In my opinion its a little better to spend a little extra now, for a lower mileage car, as opposed to paying less now but more later when the repairs start happening.

but its your call , Good luck either way
Old 01-05-14, 06:35 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

AhHeck01 - The SmartAccess option was available on all trim levels (at least for the '05 model year).

Some will advise you that all Air Suspension shocks will fail at some point, and that is true. The consensus reports on the LS400 subforum seem to be failures in the range of 80K to 150K miles. However, there are also reports from owners with over 160K miles still working well.
My 2 ¢ worth - If you like the other features a lot, get a UL. However, if a $2400+ repair bill (2 x $1200) plus labor would make you VERY unhappy, get a CL.
Of course, several members here have converted to steel suspension at a considerable savings when their air failed.
Old 01-05-14, 07:04 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

I was fixed on getting a UL too, until I considered what others here wrote: Cost vs. benefit of the UL. What advantages does the driver get from a UL? The backseat radio controls, cooler box? ... all nice if you are the executive in the back seat being chauffeured around. The UL trunk is also measurably smaller, if that matters to you. Again, a trade-off. (I'm a DIY guy for a lot of my maintenance items, but I don't do Lexus air suspensions.) The air suspension is nice if you drive mostly highway (IMO). The suspension is only a question of when, not if, it will need R&R, and climate conditions affect this component's longevity. As Gene observed, some guys buy a UL and immediately replace (or plan to replace) the air shocks with coil over shocks. It's a matter of personal preference, and what you want from the car. The SmartAccess key was available '04 - '06 = not limited to UL. If price is an issue, focusing on 2004's and higher mileage are your best bet, however I'm in Gene's corner > I'd pay more upfront to get the lower mileage vehicle. ***** is spot on too. Narrower focus means you may miss a gem with slightly different features, colors, etc. How much time do you have to research and wait for the right one? You may start to see more LS's in the gently used pipeline now after the big year-end Lexus new car sales push that just ended. Try your best to keep your emotions out of the purchase decision - don't fall in love until you actually own it (which is hard to do). Use all of the major auto valuation services (since there are differences and skews in their valuations) to help in your price negotiations. Best of luck in your search.
Old 01-08-14, 11:12 AM
Ahheck01
Pit Crew

So, I kinda found one. It's 900mi away, but I think that's probably going to have to be okay. Tack on +$500 for plane ticket and gas back.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=332881809

So it's got it all, Flint on black, Custom Luxury, asking $12k, so hopefully I can talk them down at least 1k. It does have 150k miles, and I'm curious what you guys think about the service history: (see attached image)

Edit: My other options that are top consideration:

Black on Black UL with 132k, asking $11.8k, 600mi away http://www.nashvillemotorcarspremier..._184602169.veh

Flint on Black UL with 105k, asking $12.5k, 900mi away http://www.carzoneautos.com/detail.a...PrefID=0&.aspx

I'd welcome feedback on any of these options! Also if anyone lives close to any of them, would love to get your in-person opinion!
Attached Thumbnails Strategy For The Best Deal on a '04+ CL?-screen-shot-2014-01-08-at-1.12.08-pm.png  

Last edited by Ahheck01; 01-08-14 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-08-14, 11:52 AM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, you could find a 04+ for 10-11k? that must be a complete roach! Thats hella cheap for a gen II UCF30. All the ones around here avg 14-16k with about 70-130k miles and many are base model with no nav too. All the good ones are still asking 16-21k. I got my 01 cheap ($6k) because first off it needed some maintenance work and 133k miles, but shes in overall good shape and definitely love her!

Originally Posted by Ahheck01
So after months of research, and quite a bit of help from this community, I've decided on a car that I intend to drive for the next several years:

2004+ LS430
Custom Luxury Package (though I would consider well-maint UL, or ML with sport package)
Black Leather Interior
Ext Color preference:
1: Flint Mica
2: Silver
3: Black

In order to get the best deal, I'm searching for higher mileage - 120k-180k range, and the goal is to find one with records up to current milage on Lexus.com, for peace of mind that we can go to 300k+. Then it's to check the underbody and door edges to look for any signs of rust.

I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, in the middle of the midwest. I've been searching within 500 miles, though for the right car I'd consider further, so I've expanded that search to 1k miles.

My target price point is $10k. I've seen a few around $10.9k-$11.5k that are close to the above description, but their service history falls off after the first 50-100k miles. One of them is a CL with 190k, which is a bit higher than I want to go, and another is a ML with 140k, but it's a ML.... and I think I would really miss the laminated glass. My main reason for going with the LS is how quiet it is.

I've been searching Autotrader, Cars.com, and Craigslist using SearchTempest.com to look at every craigslist location within 1k miles. I'm searching for cars up to $12k, assuming that I can likely talk people down $1-2k with cash in hand. Also keeping my eye on the classifieds here.

Any additional suggestions from anyone? Other sites that I should be searching? Different parameters? Alternatives to Lexus.com service history that would offer similar peace of mind on the higher mileage cars?

Thanks so much for all your help!
Old 01-08-14, 07:44 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't find it surprising that all 3 dealers are small. Those prices are low for the market. I would be wary. I drove 500 miles to get mine but it was at a big Lexus dealer. Also a lot more expensive.

Quick Reply: Strategy For The Best Deal on a '04+ CL?