LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

AC seats not so cool

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-13, 04:04 PM
tkalal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking AC seats not so cool

My Lexus LS430 has heated and cooled seats. The cooling has diminished over time. What do I do to boost the air flow? Is there an easy way to remove, clean and replace the filters under the seats?"
Old 12-30-13, 05:01 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, it is a easy fix. Look under the seats with a flashlight, and you will see a filter underneath both front seats. Remove them and replace with a new filter, or you can clean the old ones if you want to save a few dollars.

There is already plenty of information here about this. Use the search feature
Old 12-30-13, 06:14 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Here are a few pics from a previous thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...d-seats-4.html
Old 12-30-13, 08:06 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

If your filters are clean and not clogged there is no easy fix to increase airflow. I check my filters and vacuum any accumulated dust once a year or so but they have never gotten dirty over last 7 years.

I think in the past there have been a couple of threads about folks that replaced the old seat cushion with a new OEM Lexus foam seat bottom and reported increased air flow with the brand new cushion.
The following users liked this post:
LSBij (06-06-19)
Old 01-01-14, 06:27 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A simple fix is to put the rear mat up against the bottom of the front seat and force more air up into the seat. Also. Check YouTube for a tutorial on how to replace or clean the filter
Old 01-02-14, 05:26 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Apparently, the cooling was never frosty like on some cars such as the Cadillac DTS.
Old 01-02-14, 12:42 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

They're just not very good, period.

If you're going to make a feature like that, make it adjustable to the point so people can actually feel it. I know someone that has a Ford Expedition with the cooled seats, and you can actually feel it.

I actually just took the seat filter out and removed it for good, it looked like a gimmicky feature and I'll just take my chances. It helps a little with the flow, but I would would guess that 99% of people would never notice the ventilated seats had you not told them.

To make matter worse, the cooled seats foam collapses much more quickly because of the air passages. I need to replace mine.

Lexus blew it on this feature all around.
The following users liked this post:
LSBij (06-06-19)
Old 01-02-14, 01:45 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

This is somewhat strange. I live in the desert where the temps are well above 100F, and I have no complaints about the seat cooling. It works. Maybe with it being so hot, it is easier for us in hot zones to actually notice and feel the seat cooling. If you live in a cooler area, maybe it's not as easy to feel.

I certainly wouldn't leave the filters out. The front driver filter is really close to the floor mat and subjected to all the dirt tracked in the constantly stirred up by the shuffling of feet. Any dirt that the filter doesn't catch is likely to clog the seat cooling poors. Why take the risk?
Old 01-02-14, 04:18 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

10 below tonight, 18 below sunday night post Pack Niner game, crazy yah I am going with my boys. Wish I was thinking anything but heated seats.
Old 01-02-14, 05:21 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
This is somewhat strange. I live in the desert where the temps are well above 100F, and I have no complaints about the seat cooling. It works. Maybe with it being so hot, it is easier for us in hot zones to actually notice and feel the seat cooling. If you live in a cooler area, maybe it's not as easy to feel.

I certainly wouldn't leave the filters out. The front driver filter is really close to the floor mat and subjected to all the dirt tracked in the constantly stirred up by the shuffling of feet. Any dirt that the filter doesn't catch is likely to clog the seat cooling poors. Why take the risk?
I also live in the desert, and I still think they suck. Maybe you've never had a comparison to other brands? Believe me, Lexus is the bottom of the list.

Most ventilated seats don't have a separate filter system. As far as dirt getting in the pores of the seat without them, do you worry about having the sunroof or windows open and dirt particles settling inside the pores? I don't.

I leave the filters off because the airflow is so weak and the filters themselves are absolute ripoffs from a dealer. Not having a filter helps a bit with the airflow for the few times I use them.

I guess we have different ideas of "risk". Worse case, a vacuum or blast of compressed air could easily clean them out.
Old 06-06-19, 07:02 PM
LSBij
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Can confirm - they suck and do not blow very cool on my 2004 LS, base 115k miles....
heaters work fine
lots of good replies in this thread
Old 06-07-19, 04:39 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

If u r a patient person heated seats work. I wish the climate controlled seats where as valuable to me as the adjustable seat deck. Now that they did right! overall though few “misses” like the climate controlled seats. Never used cooled seats in desert though
Old 06-08-19, 07:04 AM
Trilkb
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

So something I noticed when cleaning my seat filters is that there was a hose going into the fan that was slightly uncoupled, I snapped it back in and my cooled seats got way worse. I may disconnect it a little, the difference is very noticeable.
Old 06-09-19, 12:49 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Apples to apples.

I don’t think this is fear, it’s early 2000 technology. Compare the LS 430 to the same era vehicle. Now days cooled & heated seats is About 15 years old. It’s the same thing you can’t compare that era Navigation of the ML to the new systems out there.
They are not the best and it not cooled it is only ventilation. Nowadays it is actually cooled air.
Keep that in mind.
Old 06-09-19, 03:46 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixman
I don’t think this is fear, it’s early 2000 technology. Compare the LS 430 to the same era vehicle. Now days cooled & heated seats is About 15 years old. It’s the same thing you can’t compare that era Navigation of the ML to the new systems out there.
They are not the best and it not cooled it is only ventilation. Nowadays it is actually cooled air.
Keep that in mind.
It is cooled air and not "only ventilation". Why do people keep saying it is only ventilation, when it is actually cooled? Don't post an opinion when it is not a fact!

Quick Reply: AC seats not so cool