LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2003 LS 430 - Check VSC and ABS lights on but no codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-14, 06:18 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKEROCK
I've been reading the forums, thank you everyone for all the great feeds. I just want to make Sure I do this correctly.

Steps:

With the car off I place the jumper into the proper pins
turn key to ign on
remove jumper
turn ign to run
and drive

please confirm these are the correct steps.
Proper steps are:
1) Turn car off
2) Open up a paperclip and put each end into the correct pins
3) Turn ignition but do not start the car (maybe you can start it but I didn't, I just turned the key so all the power accessories are on).
4) Look at the dash and record:
a) Lights that are on (VSC, ABS, SRS, etc.)
b) Number of flashes (3 short flashes, pause, 6 short flashes is code 36 and several
codes can be stored)
5) Turn car off
6) Remove paperclip
7) Consult the dealer or lexus manual for that year or ask Club Lexus members for what the codes mean. The codes that you can pull with a regular scan tool are more or less standard. The codes you can't pull (SRS and ABS) with a regular scan tool can be make/model specific.

There are other procedures you can do by jumpering the terminals with the paper clip. There is also one to clear the stored codes.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Arcturus; 09-01-14 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-01-14, 06:30 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

I would like to close this thread and let everyone know what the problem was. On top of these codes I was getting other codes and issues too:

1) ABS Code 32 - Front left wheel speed sensor
2) ABS Code 36 - Front left wheel speed sensor - foreign material attached to the tip of the wheel speed sensor
3) ABS Code 31 - Front right wheel speed sensor
4) Headlight levelling
5) Sunroof opening on its own intermittently.

In fact the problem here was with none of these systems. It was with an insane amount of corrosion at the positive battery terminal. I cleaned it up in the winter and all these codes went away. Then they started to come back a few weeks ago. I checked the positive terminal again and sure enough a huge amount of blue corrosion was present. I once again cleaned it and all of the codes disappeared.

After consulting with several people it appears that this battery is leaking acid which is reacting with the copper of the positive terminal. This is an indicator that it's likely on its way out and will need to be replaced.

If anyone else has issues such as this one, check your battery terminal posts for corrosion and if you don't see anything load test the battery to see if it's on it's way out. Seems these cars act a little squirrely when the voltage is not good.
Attached Thumbnails 2003 LS 430 - Check VSC and ABS lights on but no codes-img_2818.jpg  
Old 09-04-14, 08:19 PM
xtr3me
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

When using a non-maintenance free battery it's best if you use battery terminal protectors bought at any automotive parts store for a couple dollars. I would say that battery is leaking acid fumes for sure
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...tor-96919.html
Old 09-13-14, 09:07 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xtr3me
When using a non-maintenance free battery it's best if you use battery terminal protectors bought at any automotive parts store for a couple dollars. I would say that battery is leaking acid fumes for sure
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...tor-96919.html
I put some of those on, but found they applied some upward pressure to the terminals. Since I had also put battery grease on I was worried that they'd pop off. Maybe I'm worrying for nothing.

What I did instead was remove and clean the battery, replace the positive terminal (Lexus OEM part) and put some battery grease on the terminals. I checked after awhile and there's a tiny bit of corrosion coming back but the rate has definitely been slowed.

When I feel a little more flush I'll replace the battery. Hopefully this will stop it in its tracks.

I did notice on my old terminal that it was completely copper with a few pieces of what looked like a coating. On the new terminal it is definitely not copper colored. I suspect that underneath it is but that these constant cycles of corrosion and cleaning from the previous owner ate all of the coating off.
Old 01-29-15, 06:45 PM
flojaejae1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vsc light on for lexus LS430

Originally Posted by Arcturus
Hello,

The Check VSC, VSC Off and ABS lights are lit on my dash.

However when I hook up my scan tool it doesn't show any codes.

How can I find out what's wrong?
I had the same problem took car to dealership and they reset it. it gave the codes p0441,p0446,p0455. said gas cap was on properly if check engine light comes on again will have to replace purge canister which will cost me a $1000.00 so I hope it doesn't come back on.

Last edited by flojaejae1; 01-29-15 at 06:50 PM. Reason: left out more information
Old 01-29-15, 06:53 PM
flojaejae1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vsc and engine light on

Originally Posted by flojaejae1
I had the same problem took car to dealership and they reset it. it gave the codes p0441,p0446,p0455. said gas cap was on properly if check engine light comes on again will have to replace purge canister which will cost me a $1000.00 so I hope it doesn't come back on.
I hope this helps I have a 2005 LS430 but at least you have the codes. I had this done today so I am going to drive it for awhile and see what happens. good luck