Best iphone 4s wireless OBD 2 scanner

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-13, 01:57 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Best iphone 4s wireless OBD 2 scanner

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good wireless obd ii scanner that can wirelessly connect to an iphone 4s? Something where you can get real time sensor readings. Preferably something legit and not an ebay chinese knock-off special. If there's something available in the $50-$150 dollar range, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 12-24-13, 02:05 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

for that price you could just buy a regular obdII sensor.
Old 12-25-13, 06:50 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
for that price you could just buy a regular obdII sensor.
What price would I be looking at for a wireless iphone 4s compatible one then?
Old 12-25-13, 07:32 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcturus
What price would I be looking at for a wireless iphone 4s compatible one then?
What's wrong with a $22 ELM327 (knockoff) wifi edition?
Old 12-26-13, 02:16 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hypervish
What's wrong with a $22 ELM327 (knockoff) wifi edition?
Have you had good luck with one? Can you recommend an honest seller?
Old 12-26-13, 05:12 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a $10 ELM327 OBDII Bluetooth Reader from Banggood.com and couldn't be happier.
I linked it with the Torque software available for Android in a free or a $5 version that is preconfigured and supports multiple vehicles. You should check for the Torque software app for the iPhone.
There are absolutely 100's of things I can monitor as well as read codes and reset.
The OBDII Reader from Banggood works perfectly. They have about 10 versions, some smaller some larger but they all seem to do the same thing. Not sure about the variations.
Old 12-26-13, 05:49 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

do u guys mind sharing some basic info with a new guy like me ?

How do they plug in? Do you need your laptop or just a smart phone?

Sounds really cool
Old 12-26-13, 06:05 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are many versions available.
The simplest are self-contained, but others use the display and other features of a phone/laptop/etc. and link to it via Bluetoooth, WiFi, USB, etc.
They all connect to the OBD2 socket under the dash near the steering wheel.
For a very inexpensive model, search the LS400 fora for "OBDII scanner" and look for a thread by LScowboyLS.
My understanding is that unless you buy one especially designed for the Lexus, it will not be able to read the data from all the other computers, just the Engine Control Unit, but that may not be very important to you.
Old 12-27-13, 08:03 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gene01
There are many versions available.
The simplest are self-contained, but others use the display and other features of a phone/laptop/etc. and link to it via Bluetoooth, WiFi, USB, etc.
They all connect to the OBD2 socket under the dash near the steering wheel.
For a very inexpensive model, search the LS400 fora for "OBDII scanner" and look for a thread by LScowboyLS.
My understanding is that unless you buy one especially designed for the Lexus, it will not be able to read the data from all the other computers, just the Engine Control Unit, but that may not be very important to you.
I have another thread going asking for help. I have a 2003 LS430 and it just started showing the "VSC OFF" and "ABS" lights with the "CHECK VSC" message on the dash. They started going on and off intermittently, but now are on constantly. I suspect a failed sensor.

I have the Innova 3030e scan tool:

http://www.canobd2.com/en-US/Product...8-b45567c5120d

but it does not show any codes. Can I use one of the devices above to find out what the problem is?
Old 12-27-13, 08:05 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fensterlip
I bought a $10 ELM327 OBDII Bluetooth Reader from Banggood.com and couldn't be happier.
I linked it with the Torque software available for Android in a free or a $5 version that is preconfigured and supports multiple vehicles. You should check for the Torque software app for the iPhone.
There are absolutely 100's of things I can monitor as well as read codes and reset.
The OBDII Reader from Banggood works perfectly. They have about 10 versions, some smaller some larger but they all seem to do the same thing. Not sure about the variations.
Can you get codes related to VSC / ABS with this reader? I have one now (see below), but it doesn't pick up any codes - *GRRR*.
Old 12-27-13, 02:31 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As far as I know, the commonly available (and inexpensive) OBD2 readers (aka scan tools) will only read and perhaps reset the standard codes which are generated directly in the ECU. They do not read or reset Lexus-specific codes from the multitude of other computers, e. g climate, ABS, body network. For that, you need the Special Service Tool which is called Techstream or something like that. I think it is several hundreds of $$, but I imagine that one might become available on e-bay if you are patient. Failing that, you might contact your local Lexus service dept, or independent mechanic who has the Lexus tool.

Last edited by Gene01; 12-27-13 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Correct spelling error
Old 12-29-13, 07:21 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene01
called Techstream or something like that. I think it is several hundreds of $$, but I imagine that one might become available on e-bay if you are patient. Failing that, you might contact your local Lexus service dept, or independent mechanic who has the Lexus tool.
You hit right on the nose. Get the cable and techstream software. It can program most toyota and lexus. You can use it to set delays on your entry/exit lights, unlock driver or all doors when pressing remote, etc. You can also program additional keys.

I bought my cable and software off of eBay for around $35 or so. I was tempted at one time to pass it around to CL members as we can just postal mail it to each other once each person is done but keeping track of the unit and if it breaks whos fault etc would be too much.
Old 01-08-14, 09:18 AM
brow1231
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by airtime
You hit right on the nose. Get the cable and techstream software. It can program most toyota and lexus. You can use it to set delays on your entry/exit lights, unlock driver or all doors when pressing remote, etc. You can also program additional keys.

I bought my cable and software off of eBay for around $35 or so. I was tempted at one time to pass it around to CL members as we can just postal mail it to each other once each person is done but keeping track of the unit and if it breaks whos fault etc would be too much.
Does anyone have a link to where I could get the cable and/or software? Would the cable work with an
Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive
that I plan to order from Amazon? I am trying to debug a VSC/ABS/electrical issue on my 05 LS430.

Last edited by brow1231; 01-08-14 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-08-14, 09:36 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wont work OBD2 have nothing to do with proprietary protocols used in VSC/ABS modules.
Old 01-08-14, 10:46 AM
brow1231
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
Wont work OBD2 have nothing to do with proprietary protocols used in VSC/ABS modules.
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll keep looking for what I need.

Quick Reply: Best iphone 4s wireless OBD 2 scanner