LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2003 LS430 - Check VSC and ABS Lights Go on Then Off

Old 12-23-13, 06:54 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 2003 LS430 - Check VSC and ABS Lights Go on Then Off

Hello,

My 2003 LS430 has just started throwing the "Check VSC" message with check engine light "!" and ABS light. It does not do it when started only when I get up to highway speeds.

It did it in the morning when I was driving to work. It was also slightly shaking / vibrating. It also did it in the evening when I was driving home, but did not shake / vibrate. In each case, it seemed to come on when I hit highway speeds, then turn off after continuing to drive. The lights do not stay on.

Can I read the codes with a regular OBDII scan tool on this vehicle? Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 12-24-13, 08:32 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Check engine light will throw an OBD II code that should be stored in the ECU. Hook-up your OBD II scan reader and pull all codes, then research. (I had similar issue (not on a Lexus) and the issue was an electrical connection (intermittent short) to the ABS brakes.)
Old 12-24-13, 01:49 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tom57
Check engine light will throw an OBD II code that should be stored in the ECU. Hook-up your OBD II scan reader and pull all codes, then research. (I had similar issue (not on a Lexus) and the issue was an electrical connection (intermittent short) to the ABS brakes.)
Just hooked up my scan tool. It didn't find any codes *GRRR*. I'll have to hook it up and take it for a drive again to get it to pop up.

We have a lot of snow and ice here, maybe it's shorting something?
Old 12-27-13, 04:29 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

It happened again so I plugged in my generic OBDII scanner while
the Check VSC and ABS lights were on. It didn't find any codes though!

Does anyone know how I can further troubleshoot the problem?

Are the problem codes stored in a separate computer? Can I access this
somehow?

HELP! Don't want to take it to the dealership if at all possible!
Old 12-29-13, 08:21 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure there are no 'pending codes'. Some scanners report these separately from 'trouble' codes. TC's are the ones that set off the MIL light permanently (until it's reset). Pending codes don't trigger the MIL light on a permanent basis until certain conditions are met. At least that's how I understand it.
My reader will report no engine trouble codes but CAN have codes stored as pending (they were not an issue long enough to cause the MIL light to be set).
Old 01-01-14, 11:11 AM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by campisi
Make sure there are no 'pending codes'. Some scanners report these separately from 'trouble' codes. TC's are the ones that set off the MIL light permanently (until it's reset). Pending codes don't trigger the MIL light on a permanent basis until certain conditions are met. At least that's how I understand it.
My reader will report no engine trouble codes but CAN have codes stored as pending (they were not an issue long enough to cause the MIL light to be set).
It's been very cold for a long time in Montreal and I checked the wheel wells of my LS. They were full of huge blocks of ice that were impossible to remove. When I saw them they were wedged between the wheel and the well. I parked it in our garage over night and turned the temperature up to completely melt them out.

I am hoping that this may be the cause of the VSC light since it has gone off again. If the codes come back, I'll pull the codes using the pin jumpering technique (paperclip) from the service manual.
Old 01-09-14, 01:35 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Well the VSC and ABS light came back on. They keep coming on when I hit highway speeds and then turning off. Thanks to Lynzoid's help I pulled the codes with a paperclip. I am getting ABS codes 32 and 36. Are these wheel speed sensors? I don't have my book on me right now. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-09-14, 03:51 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

36 - yaw rate sensor zero point cal is not done. this usually pops up after using crappy 'universal' scanners.
you have to perform 'zero point calibration' as described in 'vsc -> pre-check' in serv. manual. this will involve same jumper wire and some pedal pressing.

32 - slightly worse. deceleration sensor fault.

Ok, this unit is located under the shifter cover towards the globebox and includes both yaw rate and deceleration sensor. My guess - you spilled some drink there and it gone thru the connector. Get in there and check everything.
Manual will help.

Ouch, just checked price for this unit... over 1k usd.
Old 01-09-14, 04:48 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
36 - yaw rate sensor zero point cal is not done. this usually pops up after using crappy 'universal' scanners.
you have to perform 'zero point calibration' as described in 'vsc -> pre-check' in serv. manual. this will involve same jumper wire and some pedal pressing.

32 - slightly worse. deceleration sensor fault.

Ok, this unit is located under the shifter cover towards the globebox and includes both yaw rate and deceleration sensor. My guess - you spilled some drink there and it gone thru the connector. Get in there and check everything.
Manual will help.

Ouch, just checked price for this unit... over 1k usd.
Hi Lynzoid. Can you confirm the codes again?

When the code was flashing, it was the ABS light going on and off.

In my 2003 LS430 service manual it says:

DTC Chart of ABS:

C205 / 32 - Left front wheel speed sensor signal malfunction

C1236 / 36 - Foreign matter is attached on the tip of the left front sensor.
Old 01-09-14, 07:07 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

oops sorry, read VSC chart.
yup, looks like you hub needs replacing. it's not expensive. or you can just replace the sensor. it can be done.
Old 01-09-14, 07:49 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

yup, looks like you hub needs replacing. it's not expensive. or you can just replace the sensor. it can be done.
Phew! That's a relief.

Looks like around $200 from Sewell for the sensor alone and $270 for the hub and sensor. Only $70 dollars more for the hub? WTF! Weird. Probably just get the whole thing then. I guess this has the wheel bearing as well?

Think it's possible the sensor is gummed up with something? Is this a common problem?

Also, do I need a special tool to remove the four bolts on the hub? I think it says so in the manual. But I've seen a walkthrough for the 2004-2006 where the guy didn't use one. Don't know if it's the same on the older LS430s.
Old 01-09-14, 07:54 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-06-ls430.html

This is for the 04-06. Same thing basically?
Old 01-10-14, 04:44 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Yup, rather easy. Check sewell - they may have discount for you!
Old 09-01-14, 07:17 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Yup, rather easy. Check sewell - they may have discount for you!
See my post below.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-no-codes.html

Problem was excessive corrosion of the positive battery terminal due to a leaking battery. When the corrosion is cleaned all the error codes go away.
Old 03-29-16, 08:11 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Arcturus
See my post below.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-no-codes.html

Problem was excessive corrosion of the positive battery terminal due to a leaking battery. When the corrosion is cleaned all the error codes go away.
I know this thread has long expired. However I replaced the battery then the hub and sensor assembly and the problem still remained. The root cause was actually the wiring harness going to the wheel speed sensor. I replaced it and it went away then shortly thereafter the other side had the same problem too. Not sure why, but they're both fixed now. Just thought others may like to know.
The following users liked this post:
Juggis80 (08-31-23)