LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Bye bye 460L. Back to the 430.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-13, 02:49 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by amit1947
I am now also looking at a 2004 LS430 UL with 85k miles. They are asking $16.5k. Is that a fair price?
I purchased a 2006 LS430(77K miles) with the premium pack in mint condition and with a full Lexus dealer service history. I paid $15,900 and am very happy with what I paid. Because of the condition of the car, I feel like I got a killer price. It needs nothing and also had new tires... Lucky me, knock on wood. LOL.

I did price these cars for over two months and If the 2004 has a full Lexus service history and is in great condition, then I would think $14K is a good price. Here in Wi at a Lexus dealer, they would be asking around $19K for a 2004 as described. Is it at a lexus dealer, private party or another car dealer? Good luck.
Old 12-23-13, 04:42 PM
amit1947
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2004 is at a Lexus dealer but it's had 2 owners.

Good thing I didn't go for the 2005 private party. He was asking 22k and went down to 21k (70k miles). Considering what you got, this would be a rip off!

Both cars are Ultra Luxury package, but on the 2005 that can't account for $6k difference in price compared to what you paid!
Old 12-23-13, 05:16 PM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
Welcome back!
To be honest I like the way LS460 looks and drives and at first i wanted to upgrade to the 460. But when I had someone drive me while I sat on the back seat I was very disappointed - I felt every little bump and road imperfection, the back seat was not so comfortable either. 460 has more power and newer tech but reliability is worse and much more expensive to maintain than the 430.
So sooner or later I'll have a dilemma of what car should I buy next. I'm not even considering BMW/Benz/Audi with their super expensive maintenance and even worse reliability than LS460. Infititi M45 has significant engine problems and is just plain small and tight inside. I'm looking at a 2008+ GS460 as a next car for me.
Wow by looking at the 460 ,I would of thought it would run better than my ls . Then again I heard a lot of people who had the 460 went back to a 430 . I guess the only one who stayed with the 460 was the guys who never own a 430 . I myself was thinking about a 460 too but the Camry like front end and rear end was not up to my expectation . I kind of though about the low profile tires on the 460 and a million thought came in my mind . The 430 in my opinion was the last of the original design ls . My 3 year old son seen a silver 92 ls400 and said dad your car right there ...even the resemblence of the original 400 and the 430 are still noticeable to a 3 year old . Let's get back on subject , I myself love the soft ride in my 430 . I recently joke with a coworker saying the ls so smooth ,you can run a deer and just notice a slight thump .
Old 12-23-13, 05:24 PM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by XJSFan
I purchased a 2006 LS430(77K miles) with the premium pack in mint condition and with a full Lexus dealer service history. I paid $15,900 and am very happy with what I paid. Because of the condition of the car, I feel like I got a killer price. It needs nothing and also had new tires... Lucky me, knock on wood. LOL.

I did price these cars for over two months and If the 2004 has a full a Lexus service history and is in great condition, then I would think $14K is a good price. Here in Wi at a Lexus dealer, they would be asking around $19K for a 2004 as described. Is it at a lexus dealer, private party or another car dealer? Good luck.
That's a great price ,it really depend on where the car at , who is selling the car and who's buying the car . Me personally I test drive the car and take the car to the next dealership where the comparison car is at . I tell them both I'm buying one right now so who is willing to make me happy by selling me a car at the price I feel comfortable at . My wife said im crazy but hey its not illegal to do so.
Old 01-02-14, 02:15 PM
nautica602
Driver School Candidate

Whoa Bob, I am on the same boat. I just purchased a 07 LS460L and wanting to go back to a 04-06 LS430. I previously had an 05 LS430 with no Navi. The LS430 to me looks more elegant, better built, quieter, and smoother. Don't get me wrong the LS460L is a great car and all, but I really don't need all that gadgetry and extra car payments. I am currently looking for a low mileage 04-06 LS430 with Navi and ML audio. I just posted my LS460L for sale online to get rid of it....lol!
Old 01-02-14, 02:22 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I like Nav in newer current vehicles but never thought they were that good in the LS430's... Heck, I use my Iphone to get me where I want to go. I also have a Garmin...
Old 01-03-14, 06:59 PM
sirtbizzle
10th Gear

I looked heavily at the 460 before I made up my mind and went with the 430. I read so many posts on the various forums about the degraded quality of the 460 when compared to the 430 that the decision was easy. The fact that I had to spend less money was icing on the cake!

I echo your complaints about the electronics being outdated, and I hope to remedy part of that with either a VAISTECH or USASPEC unit for ipod integration...

There's something about the styling of the 430 that I have always liked...it's "classic" and not trendy or ultra-modern/edgy. I like that - very understated I suppose.

These vehicles are a ridiculous bargain on the used market. The level of quality you are getting is beyond compare versus the competition from the European manufacturers.
Old 01-07-14, 11:58 PM
Tmarbury
Driver School Candidate

Default LS430 over LS460

Amazing story. Despite the 460 newer body style being more agressive and stylish I still stayed with the 430. Here's my story; in 2011 I sold my 2001 LS and went shoppong for a 2010 LS460, but I settled for a 2006 430 for $23K with 73k miles. It was in immaculate condition Millenium Silver on Black (just what I wanted, being a Raiders Fan LOL). My wife thought I was crazy, but when I pointed out the cost savings, the ride comgort and the fact that I did not have to pay extra for the ML/ NAV package along with maintenance and the relaibility of the 430 I came out on the better end.
Old 03-30-14, 03:43 PM
alha
Driver School Candidate

I know this is a rather old thread, but it piqued my interest because I too will most likely need to make a change in cars in the next 3-5 years. I currently have a 2000 LS400, which both my wife and I love. And that is unusual for her to say she loves a car, but there ya go. The ride is excellent, it has 150k on it, and has been dealer maintained since I bought it from them in '06 with 70k on the odometer. I've always loved the LS400's but couldn't afford one till it depreciated down from ~55k in 2000 to 15k in 2006. I've had a couple issues with it, worst was probably the starter that began acting up 6 months after I bought it, and then the maintenance like timing belt, etc, but overall, it's been a VG car. It has been a little banged up over the years, door dings here, some dumbazz at Home Depot did a nice bang in the front lip of the hood while I was inside, and most recently hail damage from a storm late last summer. It also has a little rust starting at the upper corners of the windshield/roof, but mechanically it's in pretty good shape, runs out well, Rides Like a Dream, and will get over 25mpg highway if I keep it below 70.

Here is my issue. While I was at the dealer getting my all my brakes replaced, along with them installing some new aftermarket converters, I had a chance to drive a loaner car. I forget the model of it, but it was one of those crossover style SUVish sort of things. It was a '13 or '14, not sure, but I was Amazed(!) at how poorly it rode. I have an 05 Ford Excursion that rides better than that thing did. Yes, I know, it is sort of an SUV, but still, it's a Lexus, Right?

Well, when I was picking it up I had a few minutes and spoke to a couple mechanics and another guy in the dealership about my cars (eventual) demise, hopefully after it hits 300k+. (I too have been looking around for a replacement LS400 with reasonably low miles, and they are getting harder and harder to find). After speaking with them, I learned a couple things. First, the newest models (460) drive NOTHING like my car. Not even close. This bummed me out, because the current cars are going to be the (hopefully) affordable ones when it is time to replace mine. They told me that other than the changes in the body style, the 400s and 430's are quite similar in ride, and I would be best served by looking for an '06 or '07 (whichever year they stopped making them) LS430 in VG condition with low miles, and I would most likely be about as happy with it as I am with the 400.

Based upon everyone's experiences, is what I have been told fairly accurate? I like the 400's body style a little better than the 430's, but that isn't a deal breaker for me. What is the most desirable option packages to have, and which ones have proven to be problematic and would be wise to avoid? Any suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated, because I know this car won't last forever, and like to have a plan formulated before that time comes, so I won't be in crisis mode if it happens suddenly (accident, dropping a rod, who knows?) Thanks for taking the time to read my little book here, but I wanted you to know where I was coming from.
Old 03-30-14, 05:01 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

There comes a time when fixing an older car that may cause you regret. I loved my original SC400, had it since new in 1991, and it was totaled by a red-light runner a few months ago. I had always thought I would keep the car in near perfect condition. As things started to wear our (it had 207,000 miles), I spent nearly $6000 in repairs in the previous year. The insurance company allowed me an additional $60 for those expenditures! We generally don't plan or expect such events, but you never know when things are completely out of your hands.
Old 03-30-14, 06:07 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

Ouch. Never thought about it that way. If you drop a lot of money in a car that isn't worth a lot, it could all be gone if someone totals it for you.

I used to joke about something similar with my old beater Mitsubishi Mighty Max. I said that if I totaled it, I hoped it wasn't on a full tank of gas.
Old 03-30-14, 07:38 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by alha
I know this is a rather old thread, but it piqued my interest because I too will most likely need to make a change in cars in the next 3-5 years. I currently have a 2000 LS400, which both my wife and I love. And that is unusual for her to say she loves a car, but there ya go. The ride is excellent, it has 150k on it, and has been dealer maintained since I bought it from them in '06 with 70k on the odometer. I've always loved the LS400's but couldn't afford one till it depreciated down from ~55k in 2000 to 15k in 2006. I've had a couple issues with it, worst was probably the starter that began acting up 6 months after I bought it, and then the maintenance like timing belt, etc, but overall, it's been a VG car. It has been a little banged up over the years, door dings here, some dumbazz at Home Depot did a nice bang in the front lip of the hood while I was inside, and most recently hail damage from a storm late last summer. It also has a little rust starting at the upper corners of the windshield/roof, but mechanically it's in pretty good shape, runs out well, Rides Like a Dream, and will get over 25mpg highway if I keep it below 70.

Here is my issue. While I was at the dealer getting my all my brakes replaced, along with them installing some new aftermarket converters, I had a chance to drive a loaner car. I forget the model of it, but it was one of those crossover style SUVish sort of things. It was a '13 or '14, not sure, but I was Amazed(!) at how poorly it rode. I have an 05 Ford Excursion that rides better than that thing did. Yes, I know, it is sort of an SUV, but still, it's a Lexus, Right?

Well, when I was picking it up I had a few minutes and spoke to a couple mechanics and another guy in the dealership about my cars (eventual) demise, hopefully after it hits 300k+. (I too have been looking around for a replacement LS400 with reasonably low miles, and they are getting harder and harder to find). After speaking with them, I learned a couple things. First, the newest models (460) drive NOTHING like my car. Not even close. This bummed me out, because the current cars are going to be the (hopefully) affordable ones when it is time to replace mine. They told me that other than the changes in the body style, the 400s and 430's are quite similar in ride, and I would be best served by looking for an '06 or '07 (whichever year they stopped making them) LS430 in VG condition with low miles, and I would most likely be about as happy with it as I am with the 400.

Based upon everyone's experiences, is what I have been told fairly accurate? I like the 400's body style a little better than the 430's, but that isn't a deal breaker for me. What is the most desirable option packages to have, and which ones have proven to be problematic and would be wise to avoid? Any suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated, because I know this car won't last forever, and like to have a plan formulated before that time comes, so I won't be in crisis mode if it happens suddenly (accident, dropping a rod, who knows?) Thanks for taking the time to read my little book here, but I wanted you to know where I was coming from.
See this thread for options and packages. My most desired trim is CL but some others prefer top of the line UL.
See my thread here for typical problems.
Old 03-31-14, 04:42 PM
alha
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies and the links, but are there any better years in terms of issues/build quality/ride quality etc between the earlier and later models. I like that my 400 is a late production, year 2000 model, as I believe Toyota has a constant improvement mantra, and do mid year production changes/improvements, so mine is as improved as any made. Thinking along those lines, is the '06 the pinnacle of production of these? I heard that there were some quality issues with Toyota/Lexus later in the decade, is this true of the last of the 430s as well?
Old 03-31-14, 07:32 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are only very minor changes from '01 to '03 and '04 to '06, mostly available colors, etc.
As far as the model year goes, the only thing that comes to mind is to make sure that an '04 has the Transmission has had the TSB work done. This should be recorded on the Lexus site.
Old 04-01-14, 07:05 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
There comes a time when fixing an older car that may cause you regret. I loved my original SC400, had it since new in 1991, and it was totaled by a red-light runner a few months ago. I had always thought I would keep the car in near perfect condition. As things started to wear our (it had 207,000 miles), I spent nearly $6000 in repairs in the previous year. The insurance company allowed me an additional $60 for those expenditures! We generally don't plan or expect such events, but you never know when things are completely out of your hands.
$6000 Jay? What did you drop it off at the dealer and say make her like new?

Quick Reply: Bye bye 460L. Back to the 430.