LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Beware! Ebay Aisin Water Pump Fails After 5 months!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-13, 10:44 PM
Zodiac
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
That's pretty scary. I was always tempted to buy one of those kits off eBay but I got mine off Amazon and the one for my SC from Rock Auto.

If any of you do decide to order a kit or any OEM parts off Amazon make sure it's shipped AND sold by Amazon directly. I got my timing belt kit for $129 over the summer but the price jumps around a lot.
I also bought my timing belt kit sold by Amazon. So far so good. I would hesitate to buy from third party at amazon or eBay. I bought a pair of strongarm hood supports directly from amazon 2 days ago even thou other third party vendors were cheaper. Can trust anyone these days but my experience with amazon has been positive so far.
Old 12-11-13, 10:47 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

i have a new asian kit i received from amazon and the w/p doesnt have who or where its made.dont know if its a asian pump or what.does anyone have a old pump to see if its got anything on it.
Old 12-11-13, 11:26 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

In another life I used to work in the front office of an auto repair shop... I purchased the parts for the repairs. We avoided Autozone at all costs... Always went OEM whenever possible. When you have to warranty the work/parts... you don't want to lose money having to replace bad parts under warranty. That was our experience...
Old 12-11-13, 11:41 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Aisin (the Toyota water pump OEM) doesn't make "faulty pumps", however a counterfeit Aisin pump from China is a real possibility.

I have to jump through all kinds of hoops to buy ECU capacitors that are genuine Panasonic, Rubycon, Nichicon and Chemi-con by going through only factory authorized sources, due to the same rampant counterfeiting.

Always buy your Aisin kit via an authorized Aisin aftermarket dealer - you can contact Aisin to see if a seller is genuine by contacting:

Aisin USA Mfg., Inc.
1700 East Fourth St.
Seymour, IN 47274
(812) 523-1969
Old 12-11-13, 12:53 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Wink Faulty Pump?

I've done lots of water pumps over the years. I've never gotten a bad one that looked new in a new box. I've installed used ones, rebuilt ones and even put new bearings in a leaking pump, still everything worked fine.

Now for the good part: installer error. I've had them leak multiple times because I was not careful with my installation. Usually I didn't line up the casket properly or did not torque the screws properly. I've never towed a car with a leaking pump. Even if they drip they will still do the job. If the pump seizes on it's shaft (very rare) it'll take out the drive belt and you'll no it for sure.

Old 12-11-13, 01:23 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

When I need to get my 2006 LS done, I am going to go have the Lexus dealer do it. I will wait till they email me a discount coupon and then I'll go in. Peace of mind will prevail for me. I can do just about anything with a wrench but Lexus can handle this one for me...
Old 12-11-13, 03:26 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

lorenr - That really hurts when you don't line up the casket properly. :-) JK
Also, the 3UZ runs the water pump from the back side of the timing belt, rather than the drive belt.
Old 12-14-13, 08:31 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

i sent my amazon aisin timing belt kit back today for a refund sense the water pump didnt have any manufacture markings.i believe my be a knock off.
Old 12-16-13, 12:15 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
i sent my amazon aisin timing belt kit back today for a refund sense the water pump didnt have any manufacture markings.i believe my be a knock off.
well sometimes that is OK, I have seen cases where Aisin has ground off the "Toyota" name, so that they could sell it aftermarket

you really need to call Aisin at the number I provided above and get their current list of authorized online sellers
Old 12-16-13, 08:17 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

my water pump didnt have any markings at all and it didnt look to be a clean mold.had gouges in the seal plane where the gasket goes.
this pump i just didnt trust to install.
Old 12-22-13, 02:45 PM
titangts
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

damn..hope my luck is better than yours! i just recently replaced mine with the same kit. but mine was much more than yours..it was $320 shipped. Everything seemed great and is working perfect. This was a month ago. We'll see i guess. How many miles did you put on these "new parts" before failing?
Old 12-22-13, 03:16 PM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 2 different Aisin units, there are some outside USA market ones which look kinda fake, one is in a white box with little aisin logos written on it and then there is the USA ones that come in a blue box that says Aisin on it with a picture of a water pump.
Did you get this one?

Old 12-22-13, 04:53 PM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
my water pump didnt have any markings at all and it didnt look to be a clean mold.had gouges in the seal plane where the gasket goes.
this pump i just didnt trust to install.
If it adds to anything at all, my factory Toyota water pump didnt have any markings at all either. Part# was 16100-09201 and it said "made in USA with foreign and domestic components" I know they used to be made in Japan, but they now supersede to the ones for a 4.7L Tundra.
Old 12-22-13, 07:48 PM
Zodiac
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by username32
There are 2 different Aisin units, there are some outside USA market ones which look kinda fake, one is in a white box with little aisin logos written on it and then there is the USA ones that come in a blue box that says Aisin on it with a picture of a water pump.
Did you get this one?

That box looks exactly like the one I got from amazon minus the serpentine belt and thermostat. The one I got isn't the complete kit like the one pictured.
Old 12-23-13, 02:53 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

This kit in the above pic looks authentic, and I have installed these parts more times than I can count for various folks, and never had any failures, in fact, although a Chinese copy of an Aisin kit is definitely possible, I have never seen one, and have never seen a pic of one posted up to Club Lexus. I hate to say this, but the problem is far more likely to be with the installer than a fake pump.

Quick Reply: Beware! Ebay Aisin Water Pump Fails After 5 months!