Snow experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-13, 02:25 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Snow experience

Hi guys,
So it has been snowing here in Corvallis Oregon plenty enough. We got about 8-9 inches of snow, where it is never expected to go up to 2 inches.
So the roads have been chaotic over here. Black ice and what not, powder slippery snow flakes. Just some very dangerous stuff.

I just want to share my experience so all of you out there take care of yourselves and drive safely.

I had the snow mode on, it really works in not making you get a wheel slip. Like if you start to accelerate at the traffic light, you'll get a wheel slip and the snow mode will kick in to reduce that, and it just really works.

But the horrible part is when the car goes sideways. No mode will stop it. The traction control tries to straighten it, and it will give you 2 beeps. But that's it. Couple of times I went sideways during turns, 3 out of 7 times the traction held me. Other times I was just lucky and because my driving skills kicked in, just try to consume the car and turn the steering wheel back and forth to the opposite side.

I went to get some bagels today, and while only my way back I was doing just about 15-20 mph. I was taking a very wide left turn, the mistake I did was to hit the brakes while taking the turn. NEVER DO THAT. The car will just slide like a sled. Just don't hit the brake WHILE turning, lower your speed before the turn and all will go fine. I was heading face to the pavement, and probably would've hurt the whole car from under and both front tires. But thank god, the car's traction helped me last minute to just hit the pavement from the side, only hitting the tire and a little edge of the rim.

Thank god me and my wife are ok. Everyone, please be safe out there.

Take care.
Attached Thumbnails Snow experience-2013-12-09-13.14.47.jpg   Snow experience-2013-12-09-13.14.42.jpg   Snow experience-2013-12-09-13.14.44.jpg  
Old 12-09-13, 04:09 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it really has been a task driving the ls in snowy wintery conditions. I almost lost it last year I n the beltway steering to the off ramp and the slush just took over sideways all over the place, luckily no other cars were close. Seared me straight. We got snow and ice yesterday and more is coming tomorrow.
Old 12-09-13, 05:06 PM
Prochamber
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time to install some snow tires.
Old 12-09-13, 05:29 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ouch, good thing ur ok man.
Old 12-09-13, 07:56 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Most large rear wheel drive cars like the LS have fairly wide tires and in snow they are useless in snow and ice with regular tires on them. But if it were me and I had to drive in snow and ice on regular basis I'd get 4 wheel drive car in a heartbeat and leave the LS in the garage when there was snow and ice on the streets. Large rear wheel drive sedans do not make great cars for winter snow and ice unless they have some serous winter tires on them.
Old 12-09-13, 07:58 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Prochamber
Time to install some snow tires.
It's not worth it, the snow will be gone in a few days. It never snows here. But I'm worried now since my 5th tire is not the same brand, all my installed tires are Goodyear, the 5th tire is Dunlop.
I don't know if it would be a good idea to install it or not.

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
ouch, good thing ur ok man.
Appreciate that. Thank you LiCelsior.
Old 12-10-13, 08:14 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We had about 6 inches of snow and ice in MD the past few days. I had my best luck turning traction control off and turning on snow setting. With traction control on it was almost useless as it would kill off the throttle and forward motion whenever the wheels slipped up hills and inclines. With some careful steering and foot on the gas she had no issues on 18" wheels with dunlops.
Old 12-10-13, 09:31 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I'm glad to see you're safe. Snow and ice can be serious stuff.

We just got a bunch of snow and ice last Thursday and it's been crazy out here. Most people out here don't use snow tires mainly because it only snows once or twice a year. I was about to take out my SC300 with my factory 18" LS430 wheels on Michellins until I read your post. If your LS still slid I knew I didn't stand a chance in any of my cars. Other than my OEM LS430 wheels all my cars use summer tires.
Old 12-10-13, 11:22 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Most large rear wheel drive cars like the LS have fairly wide tires and in snow they are useless in snow and ice with regular tires on them. But if it were me and I had to drive in snow and ice on regular basis I'd get 4 wheel drive car in a heartbeat and leave the LS in the garage when there was snow and ice on the streets. Large rear wheel drive sedans do not make great cars for winter snow and ice unless they have some serous winter tires on them.
My LS has 225 / 55 / 17 Firestone winter tires because I live in Toronto and it snows here quite a bit every winter. With the winter tires, my LS car drives fine in snow and ice.

In fact my car drives MUCH BETTER on the snows in winter than it does on the Michelin MXV4s in the summer, with a lot less wandering. I am always passing other cars in the winter in the city and on the highway, something I don't do often in the summer Go figure ....
Old 12-10-13, 12:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

These things are awful in the snow without snow tires...I always found traction off preferable. Snow mode helps you get going, but you really have to watch throttle inputs while under way or things like this will happen.
Old 12-10-13, 05:02 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
My LS has 225 / 55 / 17 Firestone winter tires because I live in Toronto and it snows here quite a bit every winter. With the winter tires, my LS car drives fine in snow and ice.

In fact my car drives MUCH BETTER on the snows in winter than it does on the Michelin MXV4s in the summer, with a lot less wandering. I am always passing other cars in the winter in the city and on the highway, something I don't do often in the summer Go figure ....
No truer words have even been spoken. I use MXV4's in spring/summer/fall too but I wouldn't dream of driving on any snow at all without real winter tires - currently Bridgestone Blizzak WS70. Safety aids like VSC and ABS can't begin to do their jobs on snow without winter tires - watch the demonstration videos on YouTube. It can't be emphasized enough how much easier these cars are to drive on snow and even in deep snow with real winter tires - the kind that have the mountain/snowflake logo on the sidewalls. Winter tires are super cheap compared to just one damage incident.
Old 12-10-13, 06:07 PM
seve7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only vehicles that do ok in the winter without snow tires are awd cars and suvs with fresh all seasons on them. even with that i've broken a few rims on my awd jeep from hitting ice and sliding into curbs, it now has blizzak dmv1 on it and seriously they are almost as good as studs on ice. my ls has low mileage but older dunlop winter sport m2 tires on it, and they are a good step up from all seasons but no where near as good as some of the newer designs. they do pretty good with traction, but do leave a little to be desired... as well as would be having a lsd in these cars.
Old 12-10-13, 07:58 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I might have to get a set of winter tires now that my Saturn is gone. I used to fly by people and never slide with a set of fresh all season tires in my old 99 Saturn SL2. It did better than a lot of trucks and SUV's did.
Old 12-10-13, 08:20 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

+1 on winter tires and +1 on the blizzaks. Excellent tires! On RWD sedans and trucks in the snow winter tires are a must. In Quebec they are mandatory after a certain date in the winter.

I also have a RWD pickup and it is basically undriveable in the snow without winter tires. With the Blizzaks I have never gotten stuck or spun out of control. With my old all-seasons it would happen frequently.
Old 12-10-13, 08:51 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Agree 100% on benefits of snow tires. I spent my first 22 years in Chicago and learned how to drive (16 yo) cars and even motorcycles in the snow.

Last week we had snow and ice in DFW area for a few days. Did not take LS out of garage at all, instead took our Highlander (2x drive) out to get groceries. With all season tires and front wheel drive it was pretty scary, sliding all over the place on snow/ice packed roads, a slight decline with ice quickly got us sideways...had room to recover but only because no oncoming traffic. I don't know how people do it on a regular basis, I don't have the nerves or the courage for it, guess that is why I fled South as soon as I could.

Quick Reply: Snow experience