Sincerely,
Georgia
Old 12-10-13, 09:38 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Agree 100% on benefits of snow tires. I spent my first 22 years in Chicago and learned how to drive (16 yo) cars and even motorcycles in the snow.

Last week we had snow and ice in DFW area for a few days. Did not take LS out of garage at all, instead took our Highlander (2x drive) out to get groceries. With all season tires and front wheel drive it was pretty scary, sliding all over the place on snow/ice packed roads, a slight decline with ice quickly got us sideways...had room to recover but only because no oncoming traffic. I don't know how people do it on a regular basis, I don't have the nerves or the courage for it, guess that is why I fled South as soon as I could.
The ice in Dallas was crazy. That's where I'm from and it's scary driving on ice down there. I'm in Oklahoma City now and we got a lot of snow/ice. The LS and SC stayed in the garage since Thursday.

Originally Posted by Arcturus
+1 on winter tires and +1 on the blizzaks. Excellent tires! On RWD sedans and trucks in the snow winter tires are a must. In Quebec they are mandatory after a certain date in the winter.

I also have a RWD pickup and it is basically undriveable in the snow without winter tires. With the Blizzaks I have never gotten stuck or spun out of control. With my old all-seasons it would happen frequently.
Blizzacks are huge with the Subaru guys here. They seem to get the job done.
Old 12-11-13, 04:58 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't know what to say but no car will drive easily on ice. Other than that I have driven my LS with 17's 5 wisconsin winters without a real problem never got stuck or hit curbs with heavy winter driving skiing.
* Go slow
*Don't panic when the rear wheels slide they will come right back it is a good system
* Leave trac control on
*Drive real slow at times especially the cold greasey stuff especially the few times you get real ice
*Real safe following distance
*6/32 tread or better on good all seasons I never had summer tires.
* Carry kitty litter
This comes from a state which uses sand and salt regularly and roads are clean in a couple days.

I ran well treaded MXV4's and Comofrtred and I thought the trac control and stab trac kept me out of real trouble again and again and I drove in snow regularly with season passes to the ski hills in the snow belt of the UP(I always forget to hit the snow mode). I perversely I guess think the snow is fun and look forward to speeding and slipping and sliding and letting my stab trac bring me in line like a magnet.

My 18's on my current LS where a bit sliprier than 17's but not that noticeable and I throw that one around also for the fun of it.
I just did get XIce3's as I am going skiing more into the UP and now the thing is hilaliousely fun as it is controlled sliding where I hardly hear the beeps and it is like Road Rally In Dacar when traffic and pedestrians permit.

Anyway I don't mean to downplay anyones struggles as I have driven as I have driven in the snow for many years used to patrol at Mammoth where an average season was 4-700 inches a year, then I had a 4wd pickup.

I love this thing in the winter snows still slip just less Xice# H rated snows. We just got 4 inches, temp 4 degrees, roads are covered and I am chomping at the bit to rip it up safely now with snows. Skiing this weekend they have 60 inches already
Old 12-11-13, 05:05 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Seeing the post above the DMV-1 by Blizzack are some of the best diggers out there. They will be noisier, the x ice3's after one day driving, got them yesterday, are real quiet like the MXv4's.
Old 12-11-13, 07:44 AM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wrong section for me, but I just took my slammed, stretched, cambered with bald tires ls 400 to the gym last night, flash storm, coudlnt see 10 feet ifnront of you on the hgihway...man that was a white knuckle ride. I just wanted to warm the tranny up

Car felt very loosey goosey , was doing like 35 mph max on the freeway. never takign it out in these kinds of conditions as well. I knew it was goign to be bad, but wow.
also, I HATE abs in the snow, its just dumb. I wish I could disable it when im on the white stuff,. Took me liek 50 yards to stop from a 10 mph roll on packed snow lol.

FIred up the truck this morning to take to work. Keep the baby warm and dry in the garage,
Old 12-12-13, 04:57 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

You can always get snow tires but on dry roads they do compromise the feel and handling of the LS maybe if you got like a PA4's but I got the XICE3's. After driving em for a couple days I thought crud maybe I can trade em for the Pilot Sport AS 3 that just came out under the 30 day promise.

Just talked to wifey first time driving the LS asked about the tires and got an "Oh they are so nice". Oh well it looks like we will have a white winter 2-4 more tonight 48 inches in one week where I am leaving for skiing today. I guess I am stuck with them so wifey is happy.
Old 12-12-13, 05:03 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I concur with Jabberwock on wide tires. The 20's on m Touareg TDI where useless in snow. the 17's on my new 010 Highlander make AWD more useful in the snow.You really need two sets of rims if ya live up north if you have 19's or 20's, gosh I love up north, -6 last night, the palm fronds are wilting.
Old 12-12-13, 07:58 AM
JSDND1980
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also run Bridgestone Blizzak's during the winters here in New England and the car runs great!