LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Replaced 3 bushings. Steering rack and rear motor mount.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 09:34 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't have the part numbers off hand. The steering rack bushes did not do a lot but they were easy enough to do. If you are getting a groan in the column / rack try spraying the connecting joint liberally at the where the shaft goes though the floor with silicone spray. I use to get a bit of noise and I believe this is the way I cured it. Right above the brake pedal.

The reason I replaced the rack bushing is because I used to get some vibration through the wheel under certain conditions like driving over cobble stone. Between disabling the wheel auto retract the other bushing I have done I do not notice this anymore. I do believe the real source of some vibrations has to do with some joint in the column shaft but disabling the constant movement of the steering wheel seems to have "cured this".

I still have not done my main motor mounts. I should do them one of these days but the WRX is getting 1/2 the love these days.

Front and rear sway bar bushes are also cheap and do help a good amount with tracking and feeling more stable.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-24-16 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-24-16, 04:53 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Aha, ok I'll try the silicone spray first, it might help.

This sound only occurs sometimes, and it doesn't do it too often. Sometimes it's there sometimes it's not.
I think it may depend on whatever height I'll be in, since I can raise the bags up and down to whichever height I want.

Maybe when it's lower it makes less noise, I'm not sure, I'll take a look into it.

But the sound fluctuates dependent on the force I apply to the steering wheel, if I jolt hard the sound is louder.

Here's the video I took today:

Let me know if it is anywhere close to what you were experiencing. Because I think it might be the tie rod end links, this sound is familiar to me. Maybe the Les Schwab dudes don't know what the hell they're doing.

Anyways, thanks for the help brother.
Old 02-24-16, 06:37 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Hey king, your sound is very different then what I had. Mine was more like a faint groan only perceptible with the windows up. Yours seems a lot louder and more of a creaking sound. Does it happen while are driving as well. How is your power steering pump? Does it groan when it's really cold outside? The silicon spray is worth a try.

Bad rack bushings would be more conducive for vibrations through the wheel not creaking like that.
Old 02-24-16, 10:43 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Hey king, your sound is very different then what I had. Mine was more like a faint groan only perceptible with the windows up. Yours seems a lot louder and more of a creaking sound. Does it happen while are driving as well. How is your power steering pump? Does it groan when it's really cold outside? The silicon spray is worth a try.

Bad rack bushings would be more conducive for vibrations through the wheel not creaking like that.
It does happen while driving slowly.
So I went out and played with it a few. The sound increases if I have my front airbags put up very high(around 115 psi), if I lower it down to say 85-90 psi the noise fades little by little. But it doesn't go away.

It seems like there is a weak area somewhere in-between the steering connection to the wheels.
Anything else you figure?
Old 12-10-16, 12:27 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Are the rack bushings installed / removed with a press, or can they be pried out / tapped in with a mallet?
Old 02-19-17, 03:19 PM
eeric7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Purchased the parts a little while back. Finally had a chance to go the the good ole boy shop to do the work. Saved a lot of money over every other place that wanted to remove the whole rack. The steering rack was much easier then I expected. The trick is to take the post out. They are reverse thread. We also took off the sound vibration bar. I spent $120.00 in labor vs about $600 everywhere else. Plus the alignment is not affected.

My steering rack bushes were not very worn. Better then expected.

The front motor mounts looked in great shape so I decided not to touch them for now. Overall, I am pleased with the small investment. The amount of vibration transferred through the column is definitely less. It feels more solid overall. I can also tell there is less movement with the rear motor mount, especially when she is downshifting.

This is an 04 with 108,534 miles. Anyway, I hope this info helps others. Pretty easy to do with tools and a lift.
can my car vibrate a bit while it's on park if my rear engine mount is damaged ? Can it vibrate like sort of like a heartbeat?
Old 02-19-17, 06:35 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by eeric7
can my car vibrate a bit while it's on park if my rear engine mount is damaged ? Can it vibrate like sort of like a heartbeat?
Could be a slight miss in the engine. Worn spark plug or failing coil. Not so sure you'd feel that with a bad mount.
Old 02-19-17, 10:37 PM
eeric7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Could be a slight miss in the engine. Worn spark plug or failing coil. Not so sure you'd feel that with a bad mount.
i just swapped 3 new ignition coils ,spark plugs are new , and new spark plug wires too
Old 02-20-17, 05:41 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Again I prefer sticks with clutches....

There are times that I felt like the LS430 is wound up like a spring--let go of the brakes and you're off to the races. There are other times when the idle is lowered down, and the motor is just that slight bit rougher. Maybe that's what OP is feeling. Seriously, when I compare the 2006 LS430 to a 2017 Malibu or a 2017 Pathfinder, it's just not going to be as perfect. Personally, I'd like to replace things that need replacing, but I don't want to do a makeover. For example, a dealer would state rear LCAs are needed. And indie would state I don't think they're that bad and I doubt you'll feel any difference with new ones. Two people, same car. Since I know BMW dealers to by bordering on crooked with what they recommend on old cars, there has to be some of that at Lexus as well. With an indie, they care more about their reputation. In the worst case, let an indie take a look--they usually do not charge and they see more cars day to day than we do as shade trees...my .02
Old 02-20-17, 06:11 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by eeric7
i just swapped 3 new ignition coils ,spark plugs are new , and new spark plug wires too
Ok good to know. Throttle body passages clean? It may be worth pulling it and cleaning it. Pull the MAF as well and see how dirty that is. Bad motor mounts will allow the engine to move more that it should, but an engine as smooth as the 3UZ, shouldn't transmit much vibration if it's running well.