LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

IS it worth buying a used Lexus (or any high end) out of warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-13, 09:10 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I've been a member on there for quite some time and noticed the same thing. I wanted a W220 S600 or an R230 SL500/SL55 and the horror stories of maintenance costs were what made me pick the LS instead. It's a shame because I love Mercedes but the ones from 2000 to 2006 just suck.

If you type LS430 into the search bar at MB World you will find that they hate Lexus and the LS430 more than anything. They see it as a boring, crappy W140 knock off. It's very interesting considering how unreliable the W220 is.
LOL you are very right, I made the mistake of telling them that I am a Lexus guy and a current owner, I got post after post of "anti Lexus" replys.

They say they are boring and ugly, they keep comparing their experience in an old ES to the AMG monsters, I was quick to point out that the ES is a bottom baseline model, just like the c230's and c280's.(which I called econoboxes and the german equivalent of a Ford Focus) they didn't quite like that lol.

We got into some pretty serious Lexus vs Benz debates, ill admit I was giving it back to them pretty good, maybe too good as I was almost banned and had several warnings to 'tone it down ' lol.

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 10-27-13 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-27-13, 12:22 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
LOL you are very right, I made the mistake of telling them that I am a Lexus guy and a current owner, I got post after post of "anti Lexus" replys.

They say they are boring and ugly, they keep comparing their experience in an old ES to the AMG monsters, I was quick to point out that the ES is a bottom baseline model, just like the c230's and c280's.(which I called econoboxes and the german equivalent of a Ford Focus) they didn't quite like that lol.

We got into some pretty serious Lexus vs Benz debates, ill admit I was giving it back to them pretty good, maybe too good as I was almost banned and had several warnings to 'tone it down ' lol.
When I'm on there I don't say a word about the LS. I would get gunned down on sight if they found out. I actually like Mercedes more than Lexus but most of the Mercedes I like are way too expensive for the average person to maintain. Those V12's are no joke.

Everything you said sounds exactly like something they would do over there. It's weird how some of the guys are so different from the Benz owners/enthusiast I meet in real life. The guys I meet in real life love the LS430.
Old 10-27-13, 12:29 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Supposedly the newer Mercedes are a lot more reliable. I wouldn't mind having a S550 or a CLS.
Old 10-27-13, 02:10 PM
SGS3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jabberwock

Here is why I drive an LS430 - I want a nice comfortable super reliable safe powerful luxury car. I specifically don't want to be noticed in any way when I am out in the world driving around.
for you sir. This is exactly my motivation: luxury but not well noticed.
Old 10-29-13, 11:29 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

If you type LS430 into the search bar at MB World you will find that they hate Lexus and the LS430 more than anything. They see it as a boring, crappy W140 knock off. It's very interesting considering how unreliable the W220 is.
They hate it because they're just too high and mighty to admit that the LS430 is the better car. They can say they don't mind sinking 5k a year into repairs but I call BS on that, and they see that we pay *nothing* so they hate. Like I said, all the W220 has over the LS is the snob appeal. It is absolutely inferior otherwise. I've never seen a W220 rated over an LS430 in any professional context, and when I mentioned the C&D article where the LS finished first and the W220 last, they poo-pooed it, saying C&D isn't "professional". Ha, I think I'll take the word of a 50+ year old car magazine over biased Joe-Blow with his W220.

The 97-99 S-Class would be a good replacement for my LS too.
The W140 is a different story. The 97-99 S class is probably my favorite car of all time. Not exactly reliable either, but at least it was bullt like a tank, no cheap parts or cost cutting which is what the W220 was famous for. If I could motor around in a '99 W140 (S500) that is as reliable as my LS, I'd trade it in a heartbeat. But, that's a fantasy.
Old 10-29-13, 04:14 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

5k on repairs is like 7 k plus in my tax bracket I would be bumming for sure. When it is all said and done it is just a car for transportation.
Old 10-30-13, 06:49 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
You drive an almost 10 year old LS, and there's nothing else you rather be driving..

Oh really, sorry I don't believe you.

Tell that to someone else. Maybe a Ferrari or Aston Martin but a LS430 Sorry

The LS430 was great during it's time. No doubt
But now it's just a reliable dinosaur. I undestand the attachment. I felt the same way about my 91 NSX. I luv that car.

But for a minute think about how much has change in the past 11 years.
Wouldn't a nice LS460 or S550 bring a bigger smile to your face.
Don't be so sure.

I have a 460L right now. I can't wait to sell that bastard and go back to a low mileage LS430. I absolutely hate my 460L. In the shop getting fixed way to much, even though its still under warranty. (in the shop now for the second time in 2 weeks) Noisy motor that ticks like a diesel. Popping brakes. If it was on fire, I wouldn't **** on it to put it out.

I could drop $100K on a car, even though I think it is stupid to do so, but I'm looking for a low mileage 430 right now. I'm more excited about getting back to a 430 than I was about buying my 460L. Never should have given up my 04 430. Biggest automotive purchase mistake of my life.

Last edited by Bob04; 10-31-13 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-31-13, 07:23 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Bob04....had to chuckle at your post. thanks for the color. I admit to being surprised at those issues with the 460..it is after all, the Lexus flagship product and I would have expected better from them. I do believe Toyota had some general quality issues from say 2005 to around 2009, however. I've seen too many issues with too many Toyota products from that time frame...issues that I would not have seen or expected in other Toyotas: bad water pumps, interior lights going out prematurely, big gaps in panels, etc. Obviously i have no statistically valid data to back that up, just observations across about 6 toyota products family owned from that era. Perhaps the good news is that toyota seems to be on it now...they've announced quite a few recalls in the last couple years, in some cases for things that i'd consider rather minor.
Old 10-31-13, 10:18 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Lexus should fire whoever decided to redesign the LS430 into what turnout out to be the LS460. The cars are dramatically different. They had the formula for success since 1990, but decided for revolution instead of the evolution that had served them so well. What a shame.
Old 10-31-13, 11:03 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Lexus should fire whoever decided to redesign the LS430 into what turnout out to be the LS460. The cars are dramatically different. They had the formula for success since 1990, but decided for revolution instead of the evolution that had served them so well. What a shame.
Very well put! It's not that the LS460 sucks (at least I don't think it does), however it's just not nearly the LS the 90-06 models were...

I will NEVER part with my LS430.....I will drive it until it dies. Newer designs and technology are nice, sure, but I still think the 430 is one of the best cars ever made. It's just so rock solid. Mine is now 10 years old with 105k, and it's never been to the shop, NOT ONCE, excluding normal maintenance. I look forward to seeing how long it will last...
Old 10-31-13, 05:52 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before I bought my 430 I was looking at 460s for months and seeing all the problematic service histories, noisy engine and I was not impressed with the transmission either. After driving both it was clear the ls430 was the solid vault like build quality I was looking for at half the price of the 460. No brained for me. Low miles 04-06 430 is the way to go
Old 10-31-13, 06:32 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

The fact that people get into arguments over car brands blows my mind.
Old 11-02-13, 09:56 AM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say no.. Things will go wrong and they will add up. My telescoping steering doesnt work,the door lock on the driver side is intermittent. I just live with it but it annoys me.
Old 11-02-13, 10:11 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Who's idea was it to how with this dash design in the W140? It looks horrible. IMO there's no comparison with the LS400.
Attached Thumbnails IS it worth buying a used Lexus (or any high end) out of warranty?-image-1494949064.jpg  
Old 11-02-13, 10:21 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

The sales tax on a new Lexus LS would be more money than total repairs for the life of the vehicle. And that's a much smaller number than the depreciation of buying new. If you buy a brand new LS and sell it after the warranty expires in order to buy another new one, you'll lose about $40k in depreciation.

The former owner of my LS had their car dealer maintained for the life of the vehicle, and so I could see the repair history. I would say outside of warranty work, there's probably around $1,500 worth of repairs including my ownership (excluding basic maintenance).

So nearly 100k miles outside of warranty, $1,500 in repairs vs around $7,000 just in sales tax for a new LS (at least in my state).

Financially speaking, there's no question you come out way ahead, but a big reason why is Lexus makes a reliable vehicle.

If you're determined to own a flagship Mercedes/BMW/Audi, then the math starts working against you, but even with those hefty repair bills, I would still bet 99% of the time it's cheaper than buying a brand new $80k-$100k car and taking that hit in depreciation. Even if you were spending $3k a year in repairs, it's much cheaper.

European cars though have geared their products for people who lease, they're borderline disposable. I have a family member that buy Mercedes S class religiously, and if they own the car past the factory warranty, they buy an extended warranty from the dealership. They're definitely amazing cars, but I prefer the LS ownership experience.

Last edited by BradTank; 11-02-13 at 10:25 AM.

Quick Reply: IS it worth buying a used Lexus (or any high end) out of warranty?