LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Foglights

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-13, 04:58 PM
Prochamber
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foglights

I've noticed that the fog lights on the 430 doesn't project a solid beam down the road. Are they there for show or is there a way to improve the beam pattern into a useful light pattern? Take care!
Old 09-29-13, 05:10 PM
doodoo
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Im assuming you have the 04-06 model. Its not very usable because it spreads widely. The first gen is much more functional. You can try aiming higher a bit but results are negligible. You can also put in hid kit in the fogs to get more light output. Please update if you find a way though.
Old 09-30-13, 02:39 AM
Prochamber
Driver

Will have to investigate further on the matter. Probably will go the route of adding in HID's. Later!
Old 09-30-13, 05:37 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 439 Likes on 362 Posts

I've used HID's in my fogs before and it had a lot more light output.
Old 09-30-13, 06:50 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

I've had OEM fog lights on almost all the cars I've owned since the 1960's and none have projected a "solid beam down the road". That's not what fog lights do. They are auxiliary lights that augment the low beam headlights to improve visibility in fog and driving rain and snow and are not for use in clear weather.

Per my favorite automotive lighting guru at http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...fog_lamps.html , "The fog lamps' job is to show you the edges of the road, the lane markings, and the immediate foreground."

If your fog light lenses are worn, refinishing them with a lens restoration kit can dramatically improve output. Consumer Reports tested a number of restoration kits and the $21 Sylvania kit came out #1. The 3M kit came out #2 but great care has to be taken in using it due to the damage that can be caused.

The Crystal View kit wasn't rated but it is similar to the Sylvania kit and is the one I have used most - very easy to use ... like wet sanding automotive lacquer. I'm going to try a Sylvania kit before winter (ordered one last week) - they seem to be sold out where I live which is often what happens when Consumer Reports rates a product "number 1".
Old 09-30-13, 07:51 AM
ma61
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
I've had OEM fog lights on almost all the cars I've owned since the 1960's and none have projected a "solid beam down the road". That's not what fog lights do. They are auxiliary lights that augment the low beam headlights to improve visibility in fog and driving rain and snow and are not for use in clear weather.

Per my favorite automotive lighting guru at http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...fog_lamps.html , "The fog lamps' job is to show you the edges of the road, the lane markings, and the immediate foreground."
What he said.
Old 09-30-13, 08:49 AM
eggtart
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had OEM fog lights on almost all the cars I've owned since the 1960's and none have projected a "solid beam down the road". That's not what fog lights do. They are auxiliary lights that augment the low beam headlights to improve visibility in fog and driving rain and snow and are not for use in clear weather..
THIS.

If you want lights mounted low that project down the road, you need to invest in DRIVING LIGHTS. The LS430 comes equipped with FOG LIGHTS. Their housing is designed such that they enhance NEAR field vision and illuminate off to the sides of the road where your headlights do not.
Old 09-30-13, 11:25 AM
walleyeman
Rookie

I would be the first to admit that the fog lights do not throw out much light. Even using their intended purpose of lighting the near ground and lane markers they are weak.

On a side note, many boats are sold with docking lights. These are to be used .....when docking! They are to light up the dock area. We live on a small lake and I see boaters using these lights to DRIVE. This, of course, blinds all other boaters and makes it impossible to see the red and green bow lights that allow you to tell which direction a boat is traveling. Thus, use the lights as they were intended for docking.

Now, if we could get auto drivers to use the FOG lights only in times of limited visibility,.....well the world would be a better place.
Old 09-30-13, 02:04 PM
Prochamber
Driver

If your fog light lenses are worn, refinishing them with a lens restoration kit can dramatically improve output. Consumer Reports tested a number of restoration kits and the $21 Sylvania kit came out #1. The 3M kit came out #2 but great care has to be taken in using it due to the damage that can be caused.

The Crystal View kit wasn't rated but it is similar to the Sylvania kit and is the one I have used most - very easy to use ... like wet sanding automotive lacquer. I'm going to try a Sylvania kit before winter (ordered one last week) - they seem to be sold out where I live which is often what happens when Consumer Reports rates a product "number 1".
Thanks for the explanation and information.
Old 09-30-13, 09:09 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 3000k HIDs in mine...output looks good, but they don't have the cutoffs/lines like I had on some of my other cars.

Example, my 09 Civic SI sedan :

Old 10-01-13, 10:24 AM
ma61
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't stand when people throw HID kits into halogen housings and drive around blinding everyone.

My first thought when seeing that is that the owner of the vehicle has no idea wtf hes doing.

Similar to the reaction I have when I see people with Dr Dre headphones, I immediately think they are mindless sheep.
Those headphones are terrible.
Old 10-01-13, 10:32 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I've used HID's in my fogs before and it had a lot more light output.
What kit did you use. Dual kit. I am looking to do this but want to get something that has good reviews for longevity.
Old 10-01-13, 10:37 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ma61
I can't stand when people throw HID kits into halogen housings and drive around blinding everyone.

My first thought when seeing that is that the owner of the vehicle has no idea wtf hes doing.

Similar to the reaction I have when I see people with Dr Dre headphones, I immediately think they are mindless sheep.
abso-bloody-exactly, my friend!
Old 10-01-13, 12:12 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

some but not all, remember alot of GS400 didnt have HID projecters and were pretty similar to its gs300 non hid housings. Didnt blind anyone..

You can put in HID and just adjust the beam so its more closer to the ground. I have done it on my 4runner/maxima etc.

For Fog lights HID is a good option but since LS430 lights are very good i am thinking of putting quality LED bulbs in there- i am talking about really bright 40w leds that are more brighter than your normal halogens..

But i might get some HIDs too not sure haven't decided yet, get the 4300k or 3000k nothing else or it would look weird with respect to your headlights

Originally Posted by ma61

Old 09-16-15, 10:56 AM
Frankr
Driver School Candidate

Default Driving Lights 2000 GS400

Anyone have experienced Driving Lights bulb replacement issues?
I would like to replace the 9005 bulbs with brighter LED bulbs, also 9005 type, they are Partsam's X000QROL7V.
Do I need an additional "kit" or a "Ballast" to make them work; as I replaced them, they do not light.

Quick Reply: Foglights