LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Keys Redux

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-13, 01:28 PM
gailr42
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keys Redux

My 2006 LS430 came with two keys. The keys are the "smart" keys. One is a master and the other is a valet key which doesn't seem to work. Because I have had some very strange and inconvenient things happen to my keys in the past, I do not want to be in the position of having only one key.

I have read through all the posts about keys. I especially like the part where you turn the key 13 times and sprinkle the gearshift lever with fairy dust.

So, here is what I have learned about my choices:

1. Have Lexus dealer make new keys which sounds very expensive.

2. Order a blank key from some place like Sewell Lexus

3. Get the key cut by someone who knows how to do it - have to provide picture and proof of car ownership.

4. Get the key programed, either via the fairy dust method or a Lexus dealer. It seems to me that someone posted that the fairy dust method doesn't work for smart keys - true or not true?

I don't have a clear idea of the procedure or the cost. Can anyone enlighten me? Some of the posts I read were pretty old, so I am looking for any updated information.

Aside from possible electronic problems, the valet key does not have the little cover over the battery access. This cover is needed to hold the metal key in the extended position for use. I am pretty sure the little hatch was on the fob when we got the car because I think we used the key as a key. So...I don't know if I could order one of these, or if I will have to get an entire shell [I think that is what it is called]. I looked on ebay for a shell or hatch, but nothing came up for just those items. Maybe I am calling it by the wrong name. Again, any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 09-22-13, 01:41 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

If I could do it all over again, I'd probably buy the smart key new from Sewell and have a local Lexus dealer program it (you can't program a smart key remotely with a VIN).

I purchased mine from a local locksmith and had him program it, and I could tell he was in over his head and the cost savings were pretty minimal, I think I saved something like $50 this way.

My guess is buying the key from Sewell and having a Lexus dealer program will probably be around $200 out the door for everything ($100 or for the key, $100 or so to program) but if you bought the key from a local Lexus dealer and had them program it, my guess is it would be about $400 out the door.

Best thing to do though is simply call and get a few quotes with different methods.

I love the smart key option, but it is a pain when you need a new one made.
Old 09-22-13, 02:02 PM
gailr42
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. In my case, I think the "local locksmith" wouldn't be able to do it. I will check a couple of sources and have a dealer program it. What about having the key cut? Who does that part?
Old 09-22-13, 03:01 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by gailr42
Thanks. In my case, I think the "local locksmith" wouldn't be able to do it. I will check a couple of sources and have a dealer program it. What about having the key cut? Who does that part?
I believe Sewell can cut the metal enclosed key with just a VIN number for something like $20 more when you purchase the smart key, but you still have to have it programmed locally.
Old 09-22-13, 04:56 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

My son just needed a replacement key for his newly purchased used ES330 from the local Lexus dealer. Not a smart key, but requires installing the remote electronics in a new key body which also must be cut as it has to be inserted in the ignition. The local Lexus dealer would not cut a non-OEM key, saying that non-OEM keys were too hard and would ruin their equipment. I tend to believe them, because they instead cut him a new Lexus key for no charge to keep him as a happy customer.

I would also trust Sewell to cut a new key that you procure from them. I don't have a clue as to what your local Lexus dealer would charge to program a key that you have procured from somewhere else.

I suggest you talk to your local Lexus dealer and get prices quoted for all the options that you are considering. You could also ask them to price match the Sewell prices if their prices are higher. I do that and they will usually price match for parts I need on my car.
Old 09-25-13, 10:32 AM
gailr42
Driver School Candidate

Well, guess what? The dealer where we bought the car just called and said they found another key for our car! I am glad I hadn't gotten into full key replacement mode yet. So, I will find an old key, and use it as a part "doner" for my valet key and all will be serene in my life.
Old 01-11-14, 09:43 AM
peafarmer
Rookie

Default Key shell / shank 2003 LS430

I have read all of the key threads that I can find, and really don't understand why a replacement key shell needs to be re-programmed. How does the thing work?

In my case, the plastic shell is broken. I have a 2003, so this key is not as "smart" as later models. Unless I am really ignorant, I still need to insert the shaft of the key into the ignition to start the car.

I have had my key apart, and there does not seem to be anything special about the shaft of the key...it looks like a piece of metal alloy. Also, the shell itself just seems to be made of plastic.

My "guts", that is to say, my transponder, is still good.

So, I was just on the Sewell site, and they can provide a new "Master Key Shell", and cut the shaft if I provide proof of ownership.

Why wouldn't this work without any re-programming? Is the shaft more than just a piece of metal? Is the shell more than a piece of plastic? It seems to me that if I get a correctly cut shaft and put my transponder in, it should work fine.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 01-11-14, 10:14 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by peafarmer
I have read all of the key threads that I can find, and really don't understand why a replacement key shell needs to be re-programmed. How does the thing work?

In my case, the plastic shell is broken. I have a 2003, so this key is not as "smart" as later models. Unless I am really ignorant, I still need to insert the shaft of the key into the ignition to start the car.

I have had my key apart, and there does not seem to be anything special about the shaft of the key...it looks like a piece of metal alloy. Also, the shell itself just seems to be made of plastic.

My "guts", that is to say, my transponder, is still good.

So, I was just on the Sewell site, and they can provide a new "Master Key Shell", and cut the shaft if I provide proof of ownership.

Why wouldn't this work without any re-programming? Is the shaft more than just a piece of metal? Is the shell more than a piece of plastic? It seems to me that if I get a correctly cut shaft and put my transponder in, it should work fine.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Andy
You can just get a new shell as long as the internals work properly if it looks like this

The best way to do that is find a supplier on Ebay, give them your VIN, and then have them cut it. You then just drop in the transponder. The product quality is actually better on Ebay than the OEM, the OEM ones all crack, it's a flaw from Lexus as a result of a poor design. The aftermarket ones are reinforced.

My key on my LS doesn't have a metal key, it's completely wireless, but my wife's GX is like the above model and went the Ebay route. No problems so far.
Old 01-11-14, 02:53 PM
peafarmer
Rookie

Thanks, BradTank. Yes, this is what my key looks like. I'll give the ebay ones a try.
Andy