Problem with installing Mud Flaps

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-13, 02:44 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Problem with installing Mud Flaps

Hello dear Lexus fanatics,

I recently bought the mud flaps for my car, I managed to install the front 2, which were a piece of cake. I just removed the 2 old screws that were holding the body put on the mud flaps and screwed them back on with the old screws.

I tried to do the same with the rear tires. But I was surprised that there are no screws in the rear, all I can see is the fabric like cover with no holes for screws or anything.

It would be really great if someone with experience in this situation can advice me on what to do.

I appreciate it very much, thank you fellas.

Last edited by KING; 09-19-13 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-19-13, 05:35 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Did your mud flaps come with installation instructions? I assume a bit of drilling is necessary to install OEM mud flaps on an LS430 as it was when I installed OEM mud flaps on a 1990 and 2000 LS400. Your mud flaps "should have" come with the additional hardware needed to install them. You should be able to use your mud flaps as a template when drilling - that is what I have done.

Edit: OK ... the LS430 mud flap installation instructions have been deleted from the Lexus Europe service website but these instructions for the 2012-up LS460/600 should show you the type of drilling that normally has to be done.

Last edited by Kansas; 09-19-13 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-19-13, 07:21 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for supplying this manual.

From what I understood, they mean to drill a whole in the fabric like cover and it will hold itself when you screw it with adding that small metal square.

The problem is, my mud flaps came with nothing.
I installed the ones in the front with no problem at all.

I don't know if I should look for the screws and the metal square piece thing now.
I also don't want to ruin the cover.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-20-13, 02:50 PM
walleyeman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have wanted to install these but the price .....

Custom painted they do look good though.
Old 09-20-13, 07:35 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by walleyeman
I have wanted to install these but the price .....

Custom painted they do look good though.

I bought'em overseas and for the 4 the price was 90$. And they also came painted with OEM paint.
They had all 7 colors I think.
Old 09-21-13, 06:30 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
Hello dear Lexus fanatics,

I recently bought the mud flaps for my car, I managed to install the front 2, which were a piece of cake. I just removed the 2 old screws that were holding the body put on the mud flaps and screwed them back on with the old screws.

I tried to do the same with the rear tires. But I was surprised that there are no screws in the rear, all I can see is the fabric like cover with no holes for screws or anything.

It would be really great if someone with experience in this situation can advice me on what to do.

I appreciate it very much, thank you fellas.
Sorry about the slow response regarding your installation question. I installed OEM mud guards on my 04 UL back in 2007 when I bought it. My records show that there were 10 screws, P/N 90080-15089 and 10 spring nuts P/N 90183-06019. I do remember drilling holes to install the rear. So yes, you do have to drill some holes.

My kit came with 10 screws and 10 spring nuts. Just looked at my car and it has 3 screws for the each front guard and 4 screws for each rear guard. The bottom of the rear guard does have a screw that is attached to a flexible panel and the spring nut keeps it firmly attached.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-21-13, 08:32 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Sorry about the slow response regarding your installation question. I installed OEM mud guards on my 04 UL back in 2007 when I bought it. My records show that there were 10 screws, P/N 90080-15089 and 10 spring nuts P/N 90183-06019. I do remember drilling holes to install the rear. So yes, you do have to drill some holes.

My kit came with 10 screws and 10 spring nuts. Just looked at my car and it has 3 screws for the each front guard and 4 screws for each rear guard. The bottom of the rear guard does have a screw that is attached to a flexible panel and the spring nut keeps it firmly attached.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your very helpful reply.

Do you remember the place where you bought them so I can order them from there.
Or if not, do you have pictures for what the kit actually contained from screws and metal parts. So maybe I can just look for them. Thank you.
Old 09-22-13, 09:42 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Thanks for your very helpful reply.

Do you remember the place where you bought them so I can order them from there.
Or if not, do you have pictures for what the kit actually contained from screws and metal parts. So maybe I can just look for them. Thank you.
I just purchased them from my local Lexus dealer. It kit contained the 10 screws and10 spring nuts and the mud guards. I generally document what I do on my car and I just recorded the P/N from the bags they were included in. You should be able to order those parts from your dealer by the P/Ns I have supplied. I used 4 screws and spring nuts of each of the rear guard installation and one each on the front.

You mention using only two screws (removed from the car) in installing the front guards. There are supposed to be 3 on each guard. I assume this means that you did not get any screws and nuts with your "kit". They didn't give you a kit, as they only gave you the guards. Sounds like you should order the 10 screws and nuts from your dealer.

Does this help?
Old 09-23-13, 10:47 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I just purchased them from my local Lexus dealer. It kit contained the 10 screws and10 spring nuts and the mud guards. I generally document what I do on my car and I just recorded the P/N from the bags they were included in. You should be able to order those parts from your dealer by the P/Ns I have supplied. I used 4 screws and spring nuts of each of the rear guard installation and one each on the front.

You mention using only two screws (removed from the car) in installing the front guards. There are supposed to be 3 on each guard. I assume this means that you did not get any screws and nuts with your "kit". They didn't give you a kit, as they only gave you the guards. Sounds like you should order the 10 screws and nuts from your dealer.

Does this help?
Thanks for your concern.

I think it would be great if you can find the P/N for me. I'll want to order them online.
Thank you.
Old 09-23-13, 10:57 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Thanks for your concern.

I think it would be great if you can find the P/N for me. I'll want to order them online.
Thank you.
My post #6 above includes the P/Ns.