LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Your thoughts on this 2005 Premium

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-13, 07:46 AM
Dmander
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your thoughts on this 2005 Premium

Looking at a 2005 LS430 premium at a Lexus dealer. Only option is 18" chrome wheels.

1 owner with 109,000 and full service history at Lexus. Car was in accident first year of ownership (OUCH), looks to be right front fender replaced. Great condition with the exception of a clear bra on front of car and side mirrors that is cracking, Mercury Metallic with gray interior.

Timing Belt changed at 85k and looks like oil change every 5k miles at Lexus.

Have a deal on it at 13.400.

They also resurfaced the brakes, changed brake fluid, new battery, filters etc when they took it in on trade.

I think it's a little high, but it's at a Lexus dealer which makes me feel better.
Old 08-28-13, 08:22 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

That doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. If you like it and it drives good it would be a good car.
Old 08-28-13, 08:27 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Miles are right on for that year.. according to NADA....
Hate the wrecked fender... by maybe it's wearing well and doing OK...
I don't think Sewell in Dallas will resell or even interested in wrecked vehicles...
Price is not out of line... NADA trade in value is: $16,700
You're down between the rough and average trade-in..
http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2005/...D-LS430/Values

Not sure why or what part of mirrors are cracked...
I have the same color combo and works well.

Initial price comparisons says this is a pretty good deal... but wary of that initial wreck and repair...
Old 08-28-13, 09:30 AM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems a bit high but yes, Lexus dealer needs to make money. What are they offering as far as warranty, service after the sale...? window tint, XM radio install...
Old 08-28-13, 09:39 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Legender
I don't think Sewell in Dallas will resell or even interested in wrecked vehicles...

Initial price comparisons says this is a pretty good deal... but wary of that initial wreck and repair...
lexus will sell a car with a history of damage as a fender and sell it as a cpo.all lexus dealers sell them with disclosed damage or not.
Old 08-28-13, 09:39 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

The fender replacement is kind of scary. It must not have been a very minor accident. If you really like the car and you feel comfortable with buying a car with accident history, then use that as a bargaining tool. Some people wont go near a car with an accident history. I am one of those for my own reasons but either way, there are others like me and that narrows down the market for that car. Some people don't care either but if it were me I would try to get the price down a little with the accident as a tool for bargaining with them.
Old 08-28-13, 10:38 AM
Dmander
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kira X
That doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. If you like it and it drives good it would be a good car.

Originally Posted by Legender

Thanks for the info. The clear bra is on the mirrors as well as the front of the car and that was cracked. Actual mirrors are fine. My thoughts were that if it was in the wreck it's first year and the owner kept it 7 more years then it must have been a good repair at Lexus.

Originally Posted by chunkyda
Seems a bit high but yes, Lexus dealer needs to make money. What are they offering as far as warranty, service after the sale...? window tint, XM radio install...
Haven't checked on warranty, windows already tinted. is there an XM radio kit I can add on? And they offer free oil changes every 10k miles for life.

Originally Posted by LS430FL
The fender replacement is kind of scary. It must not have been a very minor accident. If you really like the car and you feel comfortable with buying a car with accident history, then use that as a bargaining tool. Some people wont go near a car with an accident history. I am one of those for my own reasons but either way, there are others like me and that narrows down the market for that car. Some people don't care either but if it were me I would try to get the price down a little with the accident as a tool for bargaining with them.
I don't see any suspension work which would make me run away, but the accident was 7 years ago so I might be missing it.
Old 08-28-13, 03:27 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

10,000 oil changes seems like they are offering every other change free. Car has had 5k interval so why spread out now that it is older. You mentioned buying from dealer makes you feel better, get a 6,000 mile warranty from them, their goodwill might fade as soon as something expensive breaks. You can search vaistech to find XM, USB, iPad, other interface sources for music.
A fender bender wouldn't scare me away but major repair with airbag use would.
Old 08-28-13, 06:40 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430FL

The fender replacement is kind of scary..
It's not scary at all. Front fenders are easily damaged and straight forward to replace - they are just bolted on. I had the driver side fender on my 00 LS replaced 2 or 3 years ago after I hid unknown flying debris that hit lots of other cars. I got a new front bumper cover out of that too. Car was professionally repaired by the Lexus dealer's body shop and looks better than before the damage. Perfect paint match too.
Old 08-28-13, 08:28 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmander
Looking at a 2005 LS430 premium at a Lexus dealer. Only option is 18" chrome wheels.

1 owner with 109,000 and full service history at Lexus. Car was in accident first year of ownership (OUCH), looks to be right front fender replaced. Great condition with the exception of a clear bra on front of car and side mirrors that is cracking, Mercury Metallic with gray interior.

Timing Belt changed at 85k and looks like oil change every 5k miles at Lexus.

Have a deal on it at 13.400.

They also resurfaced the brakes, changed brake fluid, new battery, filters etc when they took it in on trade.

I think it's a little high, but it's at a Lexus dealer which makes me feel better.

If the repair was done several years ago and the fix and paint still look good then you should be fine. Look at it carefully in daylight to make sure the paint matches. Bad repairs and paint will start to look bad in 2-3 years. If you are gonna pay a lexus dealer price then make them repair every single thing that is wrong with the car. Make them fix anything broken or with too much wear, fix anything cracked, make them refurb the interior. Go through every switch and option in the car and make triple sure it all works correctly. Ask them to put that car up on a rack in the shop and have a tech take you under the car and walk thru all mechanical condition underneath - look for leaks or seepage of any fluids - that can be huge expense to repair. Look for excessive rust or any torn or damaged parts, rubber boots, etc - look for damage to underside- look for paint over spray on other body panels from underneath. Do all this by insisting it be done before you buy from the dealer. After you sign and pay you have ZERO leverage. Before you sign and pay you have lots of leverage.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 08-28-13 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-28-13, 08:39 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

That looks like a pretty good deal considering that you don;t have to worry about timing belt service until at least another 65K miles.
Old 08-29-13, 05:51 PM
Dmander
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
If the repair was done several years ago and the fix and paint still look good then you should be fine. Look at it carefully in daylight to make sure the paint matches. Bad repairs and paint will start to look bad in 2-3 years. If you are gonna pay a lexus dealer price then make them repair every single thing that is wrong with the car. Make them fix anything broken or with too much wear, fix anything cracked, make them refurb the interior. Go through every switch and option in the car and make triple sure it all works correctly. Ask them to put that car up on a rack in the shop and have a tech take you under the car and walk thru all mechanical condition underneath - look for leaks or seepage of any fluids - that can be huge expense to repair. Look for excessive rust or any torn or damaged parts, rubber boots, etc - look for damage to underside- look for paint over spray on other body panels from underneath. Do all this by insisting it be done before you buy from the dealer. After you sign and pay you have ZERO leverage. Before you sign and pay you have lots of leverage.
EXELLENT ADVICE!! Going to do this tomorrow.

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
That looks like a pretty good deal considering that you don;t have to worry about timing belt service until at least another 65K miles.
I like that part!
Old 08-30-13, 04:21 PM
cerberusM5
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that is a great price on a 2005 with those miles. Also, if the paint looks good now it most likely will continue to look good.
Old 08-31-13, 04:14 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The fender been fine for 7 years, it will continue to be. Check it out thoroughly like stated above. Price is lower than what most would ask for, not sure why someone was saying it was high. It's priced at "trade-in," which is decent, because I'm always insulted when they offer me trade in value, lol...
Old 08-31-13, 04:15 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I also saw an 04-06 body style Black/Tan UL in Augusta, Ga at the Audi dealer when I was there last week. Now sure how much they were selling it for though.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on this 2005 Premium