Fron suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-13, 05:44 AM
DonMolina
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fron suspension noise

Hey guys,

I'm usually not the kind of guy asking troubleshooting questions in fora, but I guess it's my time

I've had a small squeak a couple of weeks ago in the from left side, every time I turned the wheel a little bit to the left. The noise would come after turning the wheel, when the car would roll, so I believe it's in the left anti-roll bar bushing. I sprayed some silicone spray and the noise went away. Coming back after a under-body wash the noise would return but more spray solved the problem.

Anyway, went to technical inspection to get my new plates, car passed with flying colors. All suspension joints and bushings were thoroughly checked and everything was in a very good shape.

Last night, coming back from Milan, the car started doing a loud strange sound. Front left-hand side.
The sound would come when I would turn the wheel left, again following the roll of the car. Furthermore, it would be on the occasional bump, or on occasion during breaking. Again I think it's the anti-roll bar to blame. I sprayed everything, nothing changed. The car is behaving normally, so I don't think something is broken, and apart from the sound, there is nothing off about it in general. I don't feel more looseness in the suspension than before (which I can easily detect after years with a BMW E38 that eats through joints every damn couple of years), but that screeching sound is definitely not a good sign.

With the front left wheel jacked up and the suspension unloaded, turning the wheel produces no sound.

I honestly don't know what to think and I suspect I will have to start disassembling stuff to get to the bottom of this. But I'm posting this and a video I took earlier today, in case someone here had a similar experience.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-27-13, 07:40 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like a wild boar. I had that sound once and it was a loose lower control arm bushing that wasn't tightened enough after an alignment. I would suggest checking the torque of the lower control arm bushings. The bolts going through these bushing need a massive amount of torque on them, @166lbs. The only way to get them this tight is to put a 3-ft breaker bar on them and give it all you got. Most mechanics don't know this and just use a regular ratchet and end up leaving them too loose.
Old 08-31-13, 05:58 PM
DonMolina
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took the car to a garage, mechanic found nothing and just looked at me saying "I honestly don't know what to tell you".

Funnily enough, the car stopped making the sound, just as it started it. Out of freaking nowhere...

Anyway, super quiet now. And me baffled...