LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How Long do 3UZ-FE Timing Belts Last? 138,674 miles.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-13, 04:36 PM
Zodiac
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
Do you need any special Lexus tools to change the timing belt? My mechanic works on Lexus' all the time at his shop and I was thinking about having him change my belt and water pump.
No special tools are require, but the job does a need a strong impact wrench to loosen one of big crankshaft nut. Any good mechanic shop should be able to perform the job without any problem in 2-3 hours but they may charge 5-6 hours according the book.
Old 10-25-13, 04:53 PM
Rezonans
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gomboy60
Thanks for sharing the story. I am going to change mine of 1996 ES soon. It has 260k currently but I remember TB has been changed around 150k, so it is kind of past due.
One note though, I have personally changed TB on my 2005 RX300 after 150k miles for the first time and pleasantly surprised how clean and pristine it looked. Of course appearance doesn't mean much.
It depends on your luck, also your way of driving, and climate were you live, my belt was snap 2 teeth at 200k and was original, because the tensioner get stuck, and was no tension, the belt was not so bad after 15 years and 200k miles on 96 ls 400.
Old 10-26-13, 04:07 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Zodiac
No special tools are require, but the job does a need a strong impact wrench to loosen one of big crankshaft nut. Any good mechanic shop should be able to perform the job without any problem in 2-3 hours but they may charge 5-6 hours according the book.
That's good to hear. He's got access to some good tools. He's only charging $200 for the labor.
Old 10-26-13, 05:19 AM
06bluerex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine has 119k, looks like ill have to change mine soon!
Old 10-26-13, 10:45 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

I trust my mechanic fully, but im wondering if I want to let the dealer handle this job, they have much more experience with these exact models, and this is a job you want done perfectly right with no hiccups.

Also if something did go wrong, Lexus has very deep pockets and extensive customer service, where as your average independent tech does not
Old 10-28-13, 04:56 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Interesting logic. Personally, I would pay to have the timing belt changed before spending money on an extended warranty. You might want to check with the warranty company but I doubt they would cover the collateral damage caused by your not maintaining the car properly. Just a thought.
Old 10-30-13, 10:46 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
I trust my mechanic fully, but im wondering if I want to let the dealer handle this job, they have much more experience with these exact models, and this is a job you want done perfectly right with no hiccups.

Also if something did go wrong, Lexus has very deep pockets and extensive customer service, where as your average independent tech does not
if you trust your mechanic fully, I'd let him do this work. There is nothing particularly tricky about the tb on the LS430. Yes, its somewhat involved to get to it and repair it correctly, but if your mechanic has done timing belts on other cars, then he'll find the LS version not significantly different. really. Remember, with a timing belt replacement, you're not really paying for sophisticated analysis or diagnosis of a problem, because you've already decided what your problem is. You're paying for labor and parts replacement, tasks for which a decent mechanic can be trusted to perform acceptably. If you want to lower the risk even further, buy the OEM replacement parts kit and insist your mechanic use those.
Old 10-30-13, 12:08 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just for stats, i have about 180k miles, last timing belt change was about 80k miles ago.
Now my VVT-i timing tube started leaking oil so i have to replace it and do the timing belt (oil and timing belts are worst enemies).
When my tech took off the cover (one that covers the LH vvt-i tube and cam gear) we saw, that there was oil in there, BUT he said 'did you JUST replace your timing belt? it's completely new!'. I said 'no, 80k miles ago' - 'wow'.
His other comment was '180k? that's nothing for this car and this engine. i saw ones that gone over 600k'.
But better safe than sorry...

As per replacement job (belt replacement). There ARE MAJOR differences how the procedure should be done. I only trust in mechanics, who worked not just on toyotas, but VVT-i engines!
There are literally tens of unsuccessful TB replacements, with aid of 'generic mechanic', on russian clublexus board. Some peeps get lucky afterwards by going to proper toyota place to have the TB reinstalled. Some do damage to the engine.
Just a warning.

Last edited by Lynzoid; 10-30-13 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-07-13, 11:59 PM
407Steve
Driver School Candidate

It's me again, I'm the guy whose timing belt broke. Thanks for all the condolences, support and advice. Update:

Pulled the engine and transmission out of the car and I'm going to just rebuild the thing myself. (I have the skills and tools to do this). Never had such an easy time removing an engine. It comes out the top easier than the old Chevelle's and Mustangs I'm most familiar with removing. After tearing down the engine, I can tell you that my 1969 GTO Ram Air IV engine was not built as stout as the 3UZ-FE. Take confidence in knowing your engine is built like a NASCAR.

I'll keep you all posted on the progress. Plan is to rebuild the engine and bolt-on a transmission from a low-mileage car. My trans had 238,000 on it and never even hiccup'ed, but it takes a bold man to reinstall a transmission with nearly a quarter million miles on it.

Wish me luck.

Steve
Old 12-08-13, 12:00 AM
407Steve
Driver School Candidate

Oh, and pistons and valves were fine. For some reason, they didn't whack each other. Piston barrels were pristine. I have to tell you that if I knew nothing about this engine, I would believe it to be a 30,000 mile motor based on the visible wear.
Old 12-08-13, 05:44 AM
rrgone
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Steve, that's a bold decision to rebuild an engine on a vehicle with 250k miles. I'm sure you considered all the other systems with that wear. How are you going to repair the broken boss that snapped off the front? I wish you well sir!
Old 12-08-13, 07:04 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Good luck with the rebuild and repair in getting your LS back on the road. And thanks for sharing your observations on the details of the engine internals with the forum.
Old 12-08-13, 07:21 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

hey steve,

if your pistons and valves were fine, what kind of damage actually happened?
Old 12-08-13, 10:22 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Steve, very interested to hear your observations as you go through the rebuild. What you've shared so far just lends further credence to the assertion that this Ls is truly an exceptional automobile, both in the engineering as well as the assembly.
I would pay good money to spend a couple hours discussing the LS with the lead Toyota engineer on the project--to hear how they dealt with the various tradeoffs in building a car like this, what their specific objectives were, surprises or obstacles they encountered as they worked through it....that would really be interesting. I wonder if such a document exists...suppose its in Japanese and probably Toyota confidential...oh well..
Old 12-09-13, 10:13 AM
407Steve
Driver School Candidate

Great questions all. (And I'm open to any advice and/or suggestions, especially as it relates to time/life components). I am not by any means able to tell the future, so I'm making decisions on what to replace based on whatever knowledge I can glean from people like you all.

As to what damage actually occurred: Even with the pistons and valves (curiously) undamaged, the boss on the oil pump housing was broken off entirely. This housing obviously could not be repaired, and replacement cannot be accomplished with the engine in the car (according to the Lexus shop manual), which was a major part of my decision to overhaul. I'll post component photos as I tear the thing down. Gives new meaning to the word autopsy.

rrgone: I am wrestling with which systems to replace. The block is pretty stout and this engine (with the exception of the bad repair on the timing belt roller which doomed the motor) has averaged an oil change every 5,000 miles for its entire life. The photos (coming soon) should give you some idea of the benefits of that policy.

Inside the block, the only moving parts I am not going to replace are the crank, rods and pistons. BTW, this motor has 6 bolt mains!!! I never saw this even in the big-block GM V8s in my ancient hot-rodding experience. The block is actually in two pieces. They call it oil-pan #1 and oil-pan #2. Oil pan #1 is what you would think of and recognize as the "real" oil pan: Stamped steel. #2 is a hefty aluminum casting which really is the lower part of the engine block. It has baffles in it to keep oil in the right place during cornering. Amazing.

The one item which I might replace just because its in such a ridiculous position is the starter. You have to remove the entire intake manifold to get to it.

I'll be posting photos soon.

Quick Reply: How Long do 3UZ-FE Timing Belts Last? 138,674 miles.