LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Went with Pilkington glass

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-16, 09:50 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I have had two Pilkington windshields put in and both have held up well. My OEM was badly pitted as well which is why I replaced it. Just goes to show the OEM shield is just as susceptible to pitting. I have some pits on my 2nd replacement but its not bad. Mostly rock hitting it from trucks on the highway.

I do believe the OEM shield is better quality glass but I would not call it a night and day difference. Definitely not worth the price. I could put in 8 aftermarket windshields for the price of 1 OEM.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 01-12-16 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-12-16, 11:29 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I have had two Pilkington windshields put in and both have held up well. My OEM was badly pitted as well which is why I replaced it. Just goes to show the OEM shield is just as susceptible to pitting.
That's been my experience as well, all windshields wear out plain and simple. My original one was badly pitted. I even think you can make a case that the Pilkington ones are better in one sense because they have a solar tint that seems to do a better job keeping the heat out compared to my original.

But even if you want to make the case that the one you get at a dealership is slightly better, it's just a dumb purchase considering the alternative and the present value of the average LS430.

It would be like going to a dealership and paying 1,000% markup on the price for tires to get the exact OEM ones that come from the factory in Japan when you could buy something like Michelin tires at a 90% discount from Discount Tire.
Old 01-12-16, 09:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
Pilkington affirmatively represents its replacement glass as "OEM quality." They are an OE supplier to Toyota/Lexus and many other auto manufacturers. If their replacement glass is measurably and materially inferior to OEM glass, then this is the stuff class actions are made of.
If you do research into windshields you will find that there is a difference between "OEM Manufacturer" and OEM. Quality is not the same.
Old 01-13-16, 06:45 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If you do research into windshields you will find that there is a difference between "OEM Manufacturer" and OEM. Quality is not the same.
If "OEM quality" as represented and advertised by Pilkington (an OEM manufacturer of Lexus windshields) isn't "OEM quality," and any material differences can be proven, then you are really saying that Pilkington's claims are false, and all of us who have Pilkington replacement glass could be class members.

My first post in this thread was in response to dicer's claim that non-OEM glass is not as strong (both surface and structural) as OEM glass, another anecdotal claim without evidence. If that is true, class actions should follow.

It would be interesting to hear from a true expert in the auto windshield glass industry who has the expertise, facilities and equipment to conduct rigorous testing on OEM glass and "OEM quality" glass from Pilkington to measure and report on any material claimed differences that are offered anecdotally here.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (03-09-17)
Old 01-13-16, 10:35 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting thread here!
I don't mean to hijack it, but:
Is there a type of clear coating that can be applied to a new/OEM windshield that can resist the constant road rash that damage the surfaces, especially for those who put a lot of highway miles on the odometer?
Old 01-13-16, 09:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tom57
If "OEM quality" as represented and advertised by Pilkington (an OEM manufacturer of Lexus windshields) isn't "OEM quality," and any material differences can be proven, then you are really saying that Pilkington's claims are false, and all of us who have Pilkington replacement glass could be class members.
I've done a LOT of research into this as a part of trying to get my insurance company to pay for OEM Lexus stamped glass. Just because its "OEM quality" doesn't mean its OEM, and the only way that you can be sure its the same quality as the OEM windshield is to replace it with the same windshield.

I convinced the insurance company to pop for $1,600 vs $200...not really interested in expending too much energy in convincing you. If you're happy with the Pilkington glass great, like I said I would likely accept it on an older car. But I would under no circumstances accept the Pilkington glass on any car I owned newer than ~ 5 years old.
Old 01-14-16, 04:45 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I've done a LOT of research into this as a part of trying to get my insurance company to pay for OEM Lexus stamped glass. Just because its "OEM quality" doesn't mean its OEM, and the only way that you can be sure its the same quality as the OEM windshield is to replace it with the same windshield.

I convinced the insurance company to pop for $1,600 vs $200...not really interested in expending too much energy in convincing you. If you're happy with the Pilkington glass great, like I said I would likely accept it on an older car. But I would under no circumstances accept the Pilkington glass on any car I owned newer than ~ 5 years old.
It's nice to get the insurance company to pay for the OEM but if you are convinced the difference is that much I think you are kidding yourself. Believe me, if it was there would be plenty of discussion about it which, there isn't.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 01-14-16 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-15-16, 11:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
It's nice to get the insurance company to pay for the OEM but if you are convinced the difference is that much I think you are kidding yourself. Believe me, if it was there would be plenty of discussion about it which, there isn't.
Like I said on an older car I would accept the Pilkington glass, I wouldn't pay for the difference.

There is TONS of discussion all over the internet about aftermarket windshields. There is at least one discussion here about Wavy Pilkington windshields, I think it was in the RX forum. Guy went through 4 before he got a decent one...and that was the OEM Pilkington glass on a Canadian made RX.

Just the difference in the tint color alone that has been mentioned here is enough to make me insist on the OEM glass.
Old 02-27-16, 10:35 AM
Owczar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have just replaced windshield on my LS. I went with OEM windshield and top moulding.
There was a little chip on windshield without any possibility to repair.

Heating pipe looks as follow:

Old 02-28-16, 12:56 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I couldn't get my insurance company to pay for OEM glass and got Pilkington glass installed. Installed, the Pilkington glass cost to insurance company was $230 to the installer. The glass now looks like it has been shotpeened, with so many small pits that it is distractive when driving into a low sinking sun. Disgusting.

The cheap glass is the result of insurance companies efforts to maximize profits. It is no accident that when I called my insurance company to report my previous cracked windshield that the phone was answered as "Safelite". Turns out that Safelite serves as the outsource for several insurance companies. They then deny your request for an OEM glass. When you demand to speak to a supervisor they just say they will submit your request to the insurance company. What a surprise the next day when they say your insurance company has denied your request. It gets even worse. The installers can't even purchase OEM glass from their distributors because they know they won't be able to sell them to the installers. Insurance companies are even adding free "glass coverage" to peoples policies. This allows them to avoid having to provide OEM glass in the case of a collision, as it no falls under their glass coverage policy. If you look at the DOT listring of auto glass suppliers you will find that the number of manufacturers has rockets into the hundred and even approaching 1000. Most all of the newer glass manufactured are from China. The glass is generally cheap with very little quality.
Old 02-28-16, 02:25 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

My OEM windshield was pitted much worse then my Pilkington glass to date. This was the reason I replaced it. The idea that the OEM windshield is sooo much better is just not the case. I have a few dings on my windshield from rocks being kicked up mainly by pickup trucks but I am very satisfied with this shield. The OEM glass pits just as easily as Pilkington glass. Or at least mine did.
Old 02-28-16, 03:17 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I couldn't get my insurance company to pay for OEM glass and got Pilkington glass installed. Installed, the Pilkington glass cost to insurance company was $230 to the installer. The glass now looks like it has been shotpeened, with so many small pits that it is distractive when driving into a low sinking sun. Disgusting.

The cheap glass is the result of insurance companies efforts to maximize profits. It is no accident that when I called my insurance company to report my previous cracked windshield that the phone was answered as "Safelite". Turns out that Safelite serves as the outsource for several insurance companies. They then deny your request for an OEM glass. When you demand to speak to a supervisor they just say they will submit your request to the insurance company. What a surprise the next day when they say your insurance company has denied your request. It gets even worse. The installers can't even purchase OEM glass from their distributors because they know they won't be able to sell them to the installers. Insurance companies are even adding free "glass coverage" to peoples policies. This allows them to avoid having to provide OEM glass in the case of a collision, as it no falls under their glass coverage policy. If you look at the DOT listring of auto glass suppliers you will find that the number of manufacturers has rockets into the hundred and even approaching 1000. Most all of the newer glass manufactured are from China. The glass is generally cheap with very little quality.

How many times are you going to copy and paste the same rant?
And what does Chinese Safelite glass have to do with Pikington?

As a fellow ratepayer, I'm glad the insurance denied your claim for a $1,500 windshield when a quality alternative was so much less. That way my rates can stay reasonable.

The easy way to solve your "dilemma" is drop your insurance company and go to another or pay for the dealer window out of your own pocket.

But no one else seems to have the same problems, most are very happy and glad to have an alternative for so much less.
Old 02-29-16, 12:54 AM
Owczar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My insurance paid 70% of total cost, because there were no windshield which will have the same functionality as an OEM - solar and heating. Pilkington and Securit doesn't have heated and solar windshield for LS430 on Europe market.
Old 02-29-16, 10:13 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

This is 1 hell-of-a thread you started Lav. Really great reading! Let me throw a question into the mix....

Besides purchasing your LS brand new and knowing the glass was the original & installed in Japan................would it be a safe & reasonable & 95+% chance that, if your LS has the "Lexus" brand/word marked onto the windshield, that it is the ORIGINAL windshield installed in the factory in Japan? (The other 5% would be owners who paid top $$$ and replaced the glass with Lexus ('approved' for lack of better description)?

In other words, if an owner looks at their windshield right now, and it does not say "Lexus" on the glass markings, that it's definitely an aftermarket glass aka it's been replaced, glass?

This is what my windshield has for markings. I've had a starburst for almost 2 years now. It's a couple inches above the typical viewing area as sitting in the driver's seat. It also does have pitting more than I'd like, but that doesn't mean anything. She has 140k and is an 11 year old car.

I'm curious what other 04-06 LS430 owners have for the windshield markings and what everyone thinks on my hypothesis, lol, regarding the Lexus logo on the windshield.
Attached Thumbnails Went with Pilkington glass-glass.jpg  

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 02-29-16 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-29-16, 04:01 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

If it doesn't say Lexus on it I would say 100% it is not the glass that came with the car when it was new (if that's what you're asking)

It's likely the original windshield if it has the Lexus logo as very few people or insurance companies can justify that expense.

Quick Reply: Went with Pilkington glass