LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Went with Pilkington glass

Old 03-09-17, 11:41 PM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I hope I don't have to get a windshield on the LS, but if I did, I would attempt to get OEM. Doesn't it have a coating to resist water or something? And it's laminated. Why, in theory, if we have comprehensive, wouldn't it be replaced with the same...in theory....my .02
As stated in my prior post, OEM Toyota replacement glass made by Asahi does not have the water repellent coating anymore. You can use Aquapel or just live without. I could not have argued any longer or debated this further with my insurance co. and received any further benefit since they gave me OEM as asked for - no repellent and no further discussion warranted.
Old 03-10-17, 11:28 AM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My neighbor in the auto glass business ran a tiny bead of clear sealant along the front edge of the factory top molding where it was lifting off the windshield.
Invisible fix: wind noise gone.
Old 09-15-17, 11:40 AM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I called Binswanger two days ago to setup an appt for my ls and another car. I specifically asked for Pilkington or PPG and was assured those were the choices.. I was actually told this before I mentioned I care what glass I get. The installer was very nice and installed pilkington on the other car.. but then it was LS time. I walked up to the glass and saw the LS was getting FUYAO. That is when I sent the installer home. Binswanger sent the nice installer out with the chinese glass I specifically said I didn't want over the phone.

I was then told later by the receptionist that they don't make anything but FUYAO for the LS.
Where shall I go to buy non-chinese?
Old 09-15-17, 01:26 PM
FILTHEE
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KawiLex
I called Binswanger two days ago to setup an appt for my ls and another car. I specifically asked for Pilkington or PPG and was assured those were the choices.. I was actually told this before I mentioned I care what glass I get. The installer was very nice and installed pilkington on the other car.. but then it was LS time. I walked up to the glass and saw the LS was getting FUYAO. That is when I sent the installer home. Binswanger sent the nice installer out with the chinese glass I specifically said I didn't want over the phone.

I was then told later by the receptionist that they don't make anything but FUYAO for the LS.
Where shall I go to buy non-chinese?
I recently needed mine replaced and wanted Pilkington as well. I called the same place that had done my last car also with Pilkington and set up the appointment. A couple of days later I received a call from them informing me that they no longer make a windshield for the 430 and my options were either FUYAO or some other Chinese brand. I said screw it and went with the FUYAO since that's what was already on the car when I bought it and they are a very large manufacturer that make some OEM glass ( to higher standards I'm sure). So far, I can't complain about the quality.
Old 09-17-17, 10:44 AM
PearlUni05
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FILTHEE
I recently needed mine replaced and wanted Pilkington as well. I called the same place that had done my last car also with Pilkington and set up the appointment. A couple of days later I received a call from them informing me that they no longer make a windshield for the 430 and my options were either FUYAO or some other Chinese brand. I said screw it and went with the FUYAO since that's what was already on the car when I bought it and they are a very large manufacturer that make some OEM glass ( to higher standards I'm sure). So far, I can't complain about the quality.

Filthee, have you had the chance to use your automatic wipers to see it it works? I think the Pilkington was close to OEM and allowed this function to work after replacement. The cheap Chinese brands prevents this feature from working.
Old 09-17-17, 11:16 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by FILTHEE
LIke you say, FUYAO is OE to BMW and Land Rover, Bentley, Audi, it's a mistake for people to keep attacking them based on the country of the HQ, silly really. Maybe they're just misinformed.