LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Went with Pilkington glass

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-16, 04:39 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

The LS430 OEM glass has "LEXUS" embossed on the glass, the glass manufacture is shown as "ASAHI" and "DOT-20". The DOT number is assigned to glass manufacturers chronologically from "1". You can go to www.carwindshields.info/dot_db if you want to see the manufactures DOT numberq and where they are located. Pilkington is DOT 177, according to the Pilkington web site. With the proliferation of Chinese glass the DOT database has now exceeded 900 DOT numbers. US manufactured glass has almost disappeared since they are making their glass overseas.

I see that ASAHI has established an ASAHI India plant. A little research can be enlighting if one is really interested.
Old 03-05-16, 12:11 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

So yesterday got a tiny chip on windshield on highway

Due to crazy temp change overnight this happened
Old 03-05-16, 05:16 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

That sucks. Time to buy the molding a get a new shield. Have the installed fill gaps on the upper left and right areas when installing the window.
Old 03-05-16, 06:27 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
That sucks. Time to buy the molding a get a new shield. Have the installed fill gaps on the upper left and right areas when installing the window.
How did you guys find this glass? Just find a local retailer installer for this ?

Will glass company have the moulding and stuff or I have to buy separate ?

Can you expound on the "gaps " you are talking about ?
Old 03-05-16, 07:27 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I used Yelp to find the installer when I lived in Atlanta. $200 with tip. My first windshield I replaced due to pitting on the OEM shield. I did not order the OEM top molding. If you look at the first page you will see the standard rubber molding the installer provided. The second windshield, same type of glass, cracked due to a pickup truck shooting a rock at me on the highway. This time I orderd the OEM chrome top molding strip from Lexus of South Atlanta for about $35. Don't expect the installer to provide the OEM strip.

There are gaps at the top, below the side moldings, that are known to cause wind noise and if you fill them when the new shield is installed it will be more quiet then the OEM install. This was pointed out to me by the installer and my replacement shields were indeed more quiet. Not a huge difference but notable. By filling these gaps you prevent wind from swirling around these gaps and hence less wind noise on the highway.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 03-06-16 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-07-16, 02:23 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Local quote:

If I bring oem top moulding , with tax $265

If they provide moulding , with tax $285
Old 03-08-16, 08:07 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Local quote:

If I bring oem top moulding , with tax $265

If they provide moulding , with tax $285
You might want to call around and get more quotes. I'm sure everything is just more expensive in Los Angeles but I want to say mine was $180 installed for the Pilkington and then I had already ordered the chrome top moulding from a Lexus dealer which was like another $30 or so delivered that I gave them to put on. They came to my office and installed it.

They did a great job, I regret not getting it done a lot sooner. A new windshield makes a car feel new.
Old 03-08-16, 08:17 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BradTank
You might want to call around and get more quotes. I'm sure everything is just more expensive in Los Angeles but I want to say mine was $180 installed for the Pilkington and then I had already ordered the chrome top moulding from a Lexus dealer which was like another $30 or so delivered that I gave them to put on. They came to my office and installed it.

They did a great job, I regret not getting it done a lot sooner. A new windshield makes a car feel new.
Thank you

I will call a few other places then

Appreciate the help
Old 03-07-17, 02:41 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just had the windshield replaced due to a crack, courtesy of sand/gravel. Insurance covered the OEM glass made by AGC Or Asahi Glass DOT-20. Glass came with the gel pad for the rain sensor and the new top moulding. Installer took the extra care to fill in some of the gaps and seal it tight.

Glad to have the visibility back. No water repellant coating on the new glass anymore so going to apply Aquapel every so often.
Old 03-07-17, 04:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

When I first got my car, I was surprised to see it had Lexus glass. Because I wasn't used to the way the rain sensor behaved, and assumed it had to do with a windshield replacement.

With my Maxima, I did not care, and it was so cheap I paid out of pocket, like $109? But with my BMW, I insisted on OEM, so I had to argue with the lizard co. for 40 min., going around and around, and they finally caved in and paid. If I have a $100 deductible, what do I care if the glass is $1500 or $109? but they do....if opting to have insurance pay out less is being a good person, then why not invest in an environmentally friendly mutual find, and see how that works out.....

Now I have a different co., the hands people, who assured me I wouldn't go through the above, but I doubt it....

With BMW there are 3 grades: aftermarket, OEM equivalent, and OEM. The difference between #2 and #3 is whether or not there is a BMW logo or not, but people say they are the same. However, the price is almost the same as well. It used to be Saint Gobain Sekurit, or Pilkington. But now add Fuyao to the mix, they do OEM.

I hope I don't have to get a windshield on the LS, but if I did, I would attempt to get OEM. Doesn't it have a coating to resist water or something? And it's laminated. Why, in theory, if we have comprehensive, wouldn't it be replaced with the same...in theory....my .02
Old 03-07-17, 08:55 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430

I hope I don't have to get a windshield on the LS, but if I did, I would attempt to get OEM. Doesn't it have a coating to resist water or something? And it's laminated. Why, in theory, if we have comprehensive, wouldn't it be replaced with the same...in theory....my .02
Because insurance companies appear to be crooks. They have mostly agreed to cover your glass by giving you a "free glass coverage". This means they have taken it from your comprehensive and you can't use that coverage to get a new OEM glass (the LS430 windshield costs !600-$1700). Then they have outsourced the glass coverage to Safelite. When I called my insurance company for glass coverage, Safelite answered the phone. They were terrible to deal with using cheap glass ($200 installed). They would not give me a number to call and talk to my insurance. They would put in a request to the company and let me know if it was approved. Of course the answer was it wasn't approved. I got Pilkington glass and within three years the glass looks like it has been sandblasted when driving in the sun! And, I do almost all my driving in town. My condolence to those who have to have your windshield replaced. Just my experience.
Old 03-08-17, 05:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Because insurance companies appear to be crooks. They have mostly agreed to cover your glass by giving you a "free glass coverage". This means they have taken it from your comprehensive and you can't use that coverage to get a new OEM glass (the LS430 windshield costs !600-$1700). Then they have outsourced the glass coverage to Safelite. When I called my insurance company for glass coverage, Safelite answered the phone. They were terrible to deal with using cheap glass ($200 installed). They would not give me a number to call and talk to my insurance. They would put in a request to the company and let me know if it was approved. Of course the answer was it wasn't approved. I got Pilkington glass and within three years the glass looks like it has been sandblasted when driving in the sun! And, I do almost all my driving in town. My condolence to those who have to have your windshield replaced. Just my experience.
In my 40 min argument with the lizard co., the first 10 min. were spent with the rep telling me if I decide to do a repair, I wouldn't have to pay my deductible....I kept saying it's in the driver's view and I would not pass a state safety inspection with a repair, and she kept on reading the teleprompter. That's why I don't get the commercials where insurance cos. portray themselves as being on our side?

If anyone ever has a situation where your insurance carrier assigns an attorney to represent you for any matter--always remember, they are not on your side. This is not a joke. Their job is to dispose of the liability, if possible. Meaning, say it's a work situation--if you did something willful, as opposed to negligent, they are off the hook (this is common in a lawsuit against an employer). Loose lips sink ships, treat that person as your adversary and answer questions yes or no, don't add subjective comments...my .02
Old 03-08-17, 05:52 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Jay, may I ask who was your insurance carrier at the time this occurred???
Old 03-08-17, 07:53 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Jay, may I ask who was your insurance carrier at the time this occurred???

The Hartford.
Old 03-09-17, 12:07 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LSDoc
Very interesting thread here!
I don't mean to hijack it, but:
Is there a type of clear coating that can be applied to a new/OEM windshield that can resist the constant road rash that damage the surfaces, especially for those who put a lot of highway miles on the odometer?
I was wondering the same thing. The guys in the S Class forum were talking about this product:
Has anyone used it?? I might need to get it on my next windshield when it's brand new and unpitted.

Quick Reply: Went with Pilkington glass