LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Replaced filters for cooled seats...

Old 07-03-13, 08:44 AM
swegyptian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced filters for cooled seats...

And what a difference. I'm shocked as to how much better the airflow is. If your cooling is not so great, do it!
Old 07-03-13, 10:03 AM
bobbyg49
Driver School Candidate

That much difference? I'll try this weekend and let you know.
Old 07-03-13, 10:30 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Any pics as to where those filters are located?
Old 07-03-13, 11:08 AM
BigWalt
Driver

How much for the filters?
Old 07-03-13, 11:11 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

you should vacuum them off every year.they shouldnt be that dirty that you have to replace them.
Old 07-03-13, 11:11 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

you just have to lift the seat all the way up and reach under it from the front. closer to one side you'll feel 'ribbing'.
it's the filter. gently pull it out, there's two locking tabs from sides (oriented left-right if you are seated in the seat, not front-rear... hope i'm clear enough here).
try to remember orientation - idk if it matters but i usually do.
put in the new one, having two tabs lock.
it for front seats. my euro doesnt have rear c/c seats (only heating) so idk about rear ones. i think there's covers on the sides of the rear door sills or somewhere around there.

sewell have great price on filters guys! in moscow, where toyota parts are generally cheaper (border with japan), these filters cost about 80 bucks each. sewell gives around 20...
Old 07-03-13, 11:41 AM
denIS200
Lead Lap

Any part number?

Denis.
Old 07-03-13, 11:54 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

helps if you take out the cubby tray under your seat and you can easly access the tabs.
just wiggle the tray side to side to remove.
Old 07-03-13, 02:54 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

My filter sits about 1/2" above the carpet. Was easy to spot with a flashlight. It was pretty messy so I washed it it a mild mix of laundry soap and water ..... its going to dry off and I am sure be just fine !

Last edited by Stu; 07-03-13 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-03-13, 06:39 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

The seat filters do need attention. They are placed in possibly the dirtiest environment in the car. Every time the car is driven, the driver gets in and puts his feet on the floor mat which is just ahead of the seat filter under the front of the seat. All the dust, dirt and stuff he drags in gets shuffled around and is easily drawn into the seat filter.

So why is anyone surprised that these filters need to be changed? The front seat filter is approximately $22 from Sewell. A small price to pay to keep your car running as it is supposed to.
Old 07-04-13, 07:47 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
My filter sits about 1/2" above the carpet. Was easy to spot with a flashlight. It was pretty messy so I washed it it a mild mix of laundry soap and water ..... its going to dry off and I am sure be just fine !
Did the same thing yesterday. -but sucked the water out with my little green clean machine. My water turned grey. Definitely better. Made no mention to my wife, and she noticed too, so no placebo here.
Old 07-04-13, 10:04 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

My experience in washing filters is not good (hand held vacuums with small filters for instance). Generally, washing causes the small fibers to "bunch" together and are hard when dried. I think that creates large void areas and prevents the filter to performing very well. Just isn't worth it for the cost of a new filter(s). Just my opinion. Who would every try to wash an engine filter?
Old 07-04-13, 10:14 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by jayclapp
My experience in washing filters is not good (hand held vacuums with small filters for instance). Generally, washing causes the small fibers to "bunch" together and are hard when dried. I think that creates large void areas and prevents the filter to performing very well. Just isn't worth it for the cost of a new filter(s). Just my opinion. Who would every try to wash an engine filter?
That's a good point. I'll have to order a new filter soon.
Old 07-04-13, 10:32 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

i wash my k&n filter.
Old 07-04-13, 10:33 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I totally agree, and even had the same thought process asyou. I just basically went out and did this just to see if it made a difference. I will not subject the filter to subsequent washings. More of an experiment, really. I will be ordering new filters as well. I did not mind doing a wash with these little filters, because they are not a vital engine component.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced filters for cooled seats...