LS430: Must have options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-13, 12:33 PM
jcp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS430: Must have options?

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have researched quite a bit, but still have some questions. Initially, I was planning to buy a 07-08 LS460, but now I am considering an LS430 and with the money saved buy a Honda S2000 for weekend fun and track days.

I know the LS cars are not performance drivers cars, but is the 430 or 460 more sportier than the other behind the steering wheel? I have had numerous BMWs including M cars, but no longer have the tolerance to maintain these somewhat unreliable cars.

I know I have to have the ML audio system, but what else is a must? I originally wanted to find an LS430 w/ the UL package, but the air suspension scares me. I had an E55's air suspension fail twice on me, once outside of warranty.

The other options that I find appealing, but not sure which package they are included in his heated and cooled front seats and a FULL leather option if that exists.

Also, what year of 430 did a "sport" suspension option exist? How can you determine this when looking at for sale ads?

What is considered low miles for these cars nowadays? I have been searching for cars <60k.

How much should I target for a 01-03 w/ <60k miles? How much more is the updated 04-06 cars with similar miles and options?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-19-13, 09:58 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mark Levinson audio is included on all Modern Luxury, Custom Luxury, and Ultra Luxury cars.
It is omitted on Base (rather rare) and Premium cars.
All except Base have heated and cooled front seats. For cooled rear seats, you have to get the UL selection.
The "full leather" option is available (only) on the CL and UL cars.
I think the sport suspension was introduced on the '01s, but it could have been the '04s.
The only way to confirm the sport suspension is by the small plaque just forward of the front doors.
Of course, some less than ethical previous owner could have added them.
Note that it was not available on the CL or UL cars.
Under 60K is indeed low miles, and is somewhat hard to find now. If you are patient, you may find one with less, perhaps considerably less, but it will take time (unless you are lottery-winning lucky).
I haven't followed prices closely, but I think you can get an average-mileage 01-03 for 10 to 13, and an 04-06 for 18 and above. The "above" could be LOTS of above for a one-owner, always-garaged, low mileage, desirable color, near-mint condition (interior and exterior), all maintenance records (at a Lexus dealer) UL car which has just had the air suspension shocks replaced. Good luck :-)
Check it out on Auto Trader. In my experience, it has the widest selection. YMMV.
Oh yes, the 90K maintenance specifies hat the timing belt be changed. I think a dealer will charge about $1400.
Since it I an interference engine, a broken TB will cause extensive damage. The TB is very robust, and you can probably put it off a while, but not too long. Do you feel lucky today?
Hopefully, that will give you some helpful information.
Old 06-19-13, 10:04 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had put the "options and packages" information in a spreadsheet.
Perhaps it will shed some light on the available choices.
It covers the 04-06 cars, but may be a little useful for the 01-03s.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LS430 Package Features tables.pdf (60.4 KB, 1737 views)

Last edited by Gene01; 06-19-13 at 10:06 PM. Reason: correct spelling - stupid computer :-)
The following users liked this post:
CK41885 (11-09-18)
Old 06-20-13, 08:10 AM
peteyx
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my local Toyota dealer do the 90k service including the timing belt replacement. They charged $900.
Old 06-20-13, 09:59 AM
jcp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene01
Mark Levinson audio is included on all Modern Luxury, Custom Luxury, and Ultra Luxury cars.
It is omitted on Base (rather rare) and Premium cars.
All except Base have heated and cooled front seats. For cooled rear seats, you have to get the UL selection.
The "full leather" option is available (only) on the CL and UL cars.
I think the sport suspension was introduced on the '01s, but it could have been the '04s.
The only way to confirm the sport suspension is by the small plaque just forward of the front doors.
Of course, some less than ethical previous owner could have added them.
Note that it was not available on the CL or UL cars.
Under 60K is indeed low miles, and is somewhat hard to find now. If you are patient, you may find one with less, perhaps considerably less, but it will take time (unless you are lottery-winning lucky).
I haven't followed prices closely, but I think you can get an average-mileage 01-03 for 10 to 13, and an 04-06 for 18 and above. The "above" could be LOTS of above for a one-owner, always-garaged, low mileage, desirable color, near-mint condition (interior and exterior), all maintenance records (at a Lexus dealer) UL car which has just had the air suspension shocks replaced. Good luck :-)
Check it out on Auto Trader. In my experience, it has the widest selection. YMMV.
Oh yes, the 90K maintenance specifies hat the timing belt be changed. I think a dealer will charge about $1400.
Since it I an interference engine, a broken TB will cause extensive damage. The TB is very robust, and you can probably put it off a while, but not too long. Do you feel lucky today?
Hopefully, that will give you some helpful information.
Originally Posted by Gene01
I had put the "options and packages" information in a spreadsheet.
Perhaps it will shed some light on the available choices.
It covers the 04-06 cars, but may be a little useful for the 01-03s.
Gene01,

Thanks for taking the time to detail your thoughts. The spreadsheet is a big help too!

Ideally, I would like a Modern Luxury edition w/ sport package, then a Custom Luxury with the full leather. I like the backseat amenities of the UL, but avoiding air suspension if at aIl possible. I wish there were other distinguishing features of the "sport" other than the badges. I know they have the 18" 5 spoke wheels, but those appear to be optional on lots of 430s.

What is considered average miles on a 2004?

Last edited by jcp; 06-20-13 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-20-13, 10:47 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I recently purchased an 04 sport edition with the 18 inch wheels and the badge. It's the ML edition with nav and upgraded stereo. Mine had 47k on it and I purchased it for $18.5... thought it was a good deal. Two owner with all the records at Lexus.... still had the passenger side front speaker rattling... so not sure how that happened. I think average miles on an 04 right now.. about 100 to 120k depending on the type of driver and when it was purchased... 04 is considered to be 10 years old at 12k miles per year is 120k... but many may have more than that. Good luck in finding what yo want... I do suggest, when you're spending that much money that you get what you want so you won't still be looking after the purchase... been there already.
Old 06-20-13, 10:50 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm not big on extra gadgets, but I do really like the "sonar" option for parking on the front and rear bumpers that tells you the distance. On a big car like the LS, it makes life a lot easier. It would be hard now for me to go to car without it.

I personally think the GPS is worthless and the Mark Levinson sound is a giant rip off. I also think it's smart to avoid the air suspension and UL models. The ventilated/cooled seats on mine are worthless, and I was genuinely looking forward to that feature.

For handling, I'd order the factory "Sport" rear sway bar as an upgrade through Sewell and swap out the base model, it's only about $100, takes 30 minutes to install, and really cuts down on the body roll without making a stiffer ride.

Last edited by BradTank; 06-20-13 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-20-13, 11:49 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the 04 sport now and compared to my 04 premium with 17's it handles much better. I actaully think the sport should be the standard suspension as it never feels jarring unless you hit real deep potholes I steer away from anyway or heavy dips and rollers which are rare also. Bluetooth is nice but speaker in the lower door can be weak, I move my thing out of the way on occasion just to hear it. Sensors nice, back up nice, stereo nice clear either one but not like a Bose in an A8. Not had chance to own one with triple glass but she is pretty quiet anyway. the leather in the UL on the dash and trim is pretty nice also wish I had that more than any other feature on the UL and CL. The radar cruise I have never experienced.

I was happy to get a near mint 04 ML Sport susp for 19$ with 63k miles and 10k trade for my needy 04 premium with 200k still on the internet after 2 months(glad i didn't have to sit around trying to sell it)

if you can find a sport get it. UL I think problems are maybe overblown but non air ride real nice also..
Old 06-20-13, 11:50 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry not my "Thing" out of the way my "Thigh". Wish my thing was as big a problem as my thigh.