LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Advice keep or ditch air suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-13, 07:37 PM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice keep or ditch air suspension?

I have a 2005 UL with 109k on it. I have replaced 2 of the 4 air shocks (pass rear and front driver). I was driving behind it the other day and I can see the rear driver is gone and based on the fact the car is all over the place I assume the front passenger is gone also (front pass also bottoms out on a large bump).

My car has never tracked properly but that is neither hear nor there

I am not debating replacing to the last 2 shocks at a price of 2k or getting coil overs (tein CS 1700) assuming when I check the 2 new shocks are no leaking.

Thoughts?

I have had lots of coil overs on my Is300 and in my experience they typically last only about 20-30k new york city miles?

It seems like the air shocks last about 80K which is longer then any coil ive had..
Old 06-02-13, 07:53 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

There's not really any advantage to the factory air suspension, so I swapped mine out. I wouldn't go for the Tein CS. The ride is comfy but they are overpriced for such an old design. My brother had them on his GS and they blew after 30-40k miles. He got Megan EZ for $600 and they ride about the same. If they blow you can get a new shock for $100ish each or just buy a new set.
Old 06-02-13, 08:02 PM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Yeah im debating staying OEM. how long did the Megans Last?
Old 06-02-13, 08:05 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Sentinel
It's been around 15-20k no problems so far. You can always find used stock OEM spring suspension too. Should last a long time.
Old 06-02-13, 09:44 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

I had Megans on my SC300 and they had around 12,000 miles on them just before I sold them to a friend last year. As far as I know they're still running strong.

I've had a set on my LS430 for a few months and I haven't had any trouble with them. The front shocks sit a little too low for my taste but they get the job done. If you don't mind spending the extra money BC coilovers and the Tanabe Sustecs are even better than the Megans.
Old 06-03-13, 05:40 AM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Hmm If I can get a 50k out of a coil over in new york city I guess that makes sense..

I just have the burning urge to stay oem.. since I already have 2 new shocks in.

Last edited by Sentinel; 06-03-13 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-03-13, 08:12 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

You are assuming that you need two new air shocks. I'd have them checked first. You might only need one.
Old 06-03-13, 10:46 AM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jayclapp
You are assuming that you need two new air shocks. I'd have them checked first. You might only need one.

That is true but the front pass side bottoms out fairly easily and the driver rear I can see bouncing when I follow the car. So id do both at the same time I plan on doing the bearings anyway.

Any one get ride of the air and regret it?
Old 06-03-13, 12:33 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

What do 2 factory air shocks cost from a Lexus dealer? Aren't they like $1,500 a piece just for the parts themselves? So if a dealer did the job, you're looking at about $3,300 for two shocks installed? I just don't think I could swallow that. And what about all the other parts of that suspension (compressor, height sensors, etc)

I personally would ditch them and look at aftermarket options and instead use the savings to take care of other future suspension issues (like ball joints, tie rods, sway links, etc.)

I don't know that much about this air suspension design, but couldn't you also just swap over to the conventional LS suspension with factory steel springs and regular shocks/struts? I would think you could get better longevity with that system and still have a smooth ride.
Old 06-03-13, 12:36 PM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BradTank
What do 2 factory air shocks cost from a Lexus dealer? Aren't they like $1,500 a piece just for the parts themselves? So if a dealer did the job, you're looking at about $3,300 for two shocks installed? I just don't think I could swallow that. And what about all the other parts of that suspension (compressor, height sensors, etc)

I personally would ditch them and look at aftermarket options and instead use the savings to take care of other future suspension issues (like ball joints, tie rods, sway links, etc.)

I don't know that much about this air suspension design, but couldn't you also just swap over to the conventional LS suspension with factory steel springs and regular shocks/struts? I would think you could get better longevity with that system and still have a smooth ride.
There 900 - 1000 each so we are talking 2K. vs the coil price. I could swap a conventional suspension but id probably do coils for ease of installation.
Old 06-03-13, 12:52 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

There 900 - 1000 each so we are talking 2K. vs the coil price. I could swap a conventional suspension but id probably do coils for ease of installation.
I'm seeing about $1,300 a piece from Sewell:
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2006/5603.html

Obviously a retail dealer is going to be a lot more than that if you want them to install them. Do you have some sort of hookup? Or do you just get the factory stuff and replace them yourself? In NYC, I wouldn't think you'd have a garage or tools.
Old 06-03-13, 12:55 PM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BradTank
I'm seeing about $1,300 a piece from Sewell:
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2006/5603.html

Obviously a retail dealer is going to be a lot more than that if you want them to install them. Do you have some sort of hookup? Or do you just get the factory stuff and replace them yourself? In NYC, I wouldn't think you'd have a garage or tools.
Club lexus gets a discount with that that knocks a lot of the price. I can install my self I have a garage and tools replacing an air shocks is fairly easy.
Old 06-03-13, 03:18 PM
kenshimoto
Rookie

keep in mind when replacing strut,air strut. always replace 2front 2rear or all 4, never 1only. if u can do all the work yourself why not go coils or sport. but going sport cost about close to coils. my z40 cost less then 2k and i love em. long term wise, coils is cost-effective. 1sport strut 150- 200 > 1air strut 1000- 1300
Old 06-03-13, 04:56 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by kenshimoto
keep in mind when replacing strut,air strut. always replace 2front 2rear or all 4, never 1only. if u can do all the work yourself why not go coils or sport. but going sport cost about close to coils. my z40 cost less then 2k and i love em. long term wise, coils is cost-effective. 1sport strut 150- 200 > 1air strut 1000- 1300
You do not have to replace more than one air strut at a time. Dealer doesn't require it and a waste of money to do that.
Old 06-03-13, 07:28 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Overall, fixing it would be a bad investment. You know they are are all on there way out. I say bite the bullet and swap it out. I really enjoy my suspension. Drives like a sports luxury sedan.

Quick Reply: Advice keep or ditch air suspension?