LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Advice keep or ditch air suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-13, 08:37 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
You do not have to replace more than one air strut at a time. Dealer doesn't require it and a waste of money to do that.
+1....one at a time for air. steel is 2 at a time
Old 06-03-13, 08:52 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sentinel do you have the car lowered or plan on lowering it at all? Are you keeping the stock wheels and tires on it or running larger wheels with lower profile tires? If you're keeping things stock I would definitely have the suspension checked to make sure if it's only one air shock that's bad or two. If it's just one then I would say it's a fence-sitter to get another air shock from Sewell or swap for stock coil springs. Obviously if it's two shocks you need then I'd likely lean toward the coil springs, especially since you live with crappy roads. I don't know much about the coilovers but you seem to have decent experience with them and apparently their life span isn't as good as stock coils. Plus one of the advantages of coilovers is the lowering ability, but if you're keeping it stock height then you're nullifying that advantage...something to consider. On the other hand if you do coilovers be sure to check out the new Tanabes also.
Old 06-04-13, 12:57 AM
kenshimoto
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

replacing 2 strut at the same time is expensive and dealer doesnt require u too but puting a new strut and old strut front or rear and u will have unbalance performance. sway and bouncing. dealer charges a grip for labor and u want to come back again for another strut replacement? ive seen to many people come back when the other strut fails and they get *** rape on labor charges.
Old 06-04-13, 06:23 AM
Sentinel
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
Sentinel do you have the car lowered or plan on lowering it at all? Are you keeping the stock wheels and tires on it or running larger wheels with lower profile tires? If you're keeping things stock I would definitely have the suspension checked to make sure if it's only one air shock that's bad or two. If it's just one then I would say it's a fence-sitter to get another air shock from Sewell or swap for stock coil springs. Obviously if it's two shocks you need then I'd likely lean toward the coil springs, especially since you live with crappy roads. I don't know much about the coilovers but you seem to have decent experience with them and apparently their life span isn't as good as stock coils. Plus one of the advantages of coilovers is the lowering ability, but if you're keeping it stock height then you're nullifying that advantage...something to consider. On the other hand if you do coilovers be sure to check out the new Tanabes also.
Well my experience is people who install coils with swap them out or they sell their car so they rarely have them for every long.