LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

$15 Subwoofer Repair - Mark Levinson

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-13, 05:18 PM
cyclehead
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Default $15 Subwoofer Repair - Mark Levinson

I got a little frustrated with the confusion over which sub would replace the original, without blowing up the amplifier. So I'm starting my own thread. I used this rebuild kit on an Avalon once before and it worked well...so here goes another try.

Speaker repair ring $15.
http://www.speakerworks.com/8_Inch_M...it_p/swk8m.htm

Procedure:
Remove seat bottoms (yank up)
Remove seat backs (Link to pics)
Remove 7 ea 12mm nuts. About 15 minutes worth of work.
Slide the rear shelf cover out of the way
Note: Put some towels on the bare seat frame and cover the armrest switches and wood trim. I got careless and let something scratch one of the armrest switches - darn it!
Unbolt the sub
Fix it (see fix-it notes in post #5 below)
Put it back in

Lean the seat-backs forward out of the way...
Name:  seatbacklaidfwdsm_zps1555738e.jpg
Views: 9063
Size:  82.4 KB

Name:  rearshelfremovedsm_zpsef159aaa.jpg
Views: 6093
Size:  79.5 KB

Name:  speakeraccesssm_zpse113254b.jpg
Views: 12438
Size:  89.4 KB

rotten speaker foam stuff...
Name:  peeloffoldfoamring_zpsc52f890e.jpg
Views: 5334
Size:  104.7 KB

removed all the old...
Name:  cleanedofffoam_zps608b697d.jpg
Views: 5436
Size:  94.5 KB

new foam stuff...
Name:  newfoamring_zps813f1ab9.jpg
Views: 5647
Size:  77.9 KB

glue down the new stuff, whipped cream container was the right size to hold it in place overnight...
Name:  weightdownringforglue_zpsaf3025a5.jpg
Views: 5287
Size:  59.9 KB

Last edited by cyclehead; 05-26-13 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-25-13, 10:58 PM
marktmark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the instructions.

The sub on my 04 LS430 was replaced once already but I'm afraid it'll go again in a few years, and this will be much cheaper if it works out well.
Old 05-26-13, 08:39 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I had mine done 3 years ago with the refoaming and seat removal. I had someone come to my house and do it. The seat removal was a royal pain. I too did not want any issues with the amp failing with an aftermarket speaker. It's been working fine since and I like to blast my music!

Last edited by Bocatrip; 03-12-14 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-26-13, 02:33 PM
marktmark
Driver School Candidate

That's good to know the repair is still working well. How much did they charge?
Old 05-26-13, 07:59 PM
cyclehead
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I reinstalled the repaired speaker this afternoon. Literally 10 minutes to button everything back together. It's only 7 nuts. You can do it. Everything worked great. No more buzzing subwoofer.

Notes:
Glue the repair foam ring to the paper cone first. Let it cure overnight with a little weight on it. The cool whip container was just the right size. The outer flange of the foam ring can be glued and assembled right before you put the speaker back in the car. The plastic backing ring clamps the foam ring outer flange, so there's no need to wait on the glue to dry. I imagine you could just skip the glue, but I ran a thin bead around it anyway (both sides).

Instructions said to be extra careful getting the paper cone centered. It was very simple to accomplish, just don't glue the ring on crooked and put a little weight centered on the cool whip container. The outer ring is easy to keep centered.

New foam ring, the glue dried overnight, reassembled and ready to reinstall...Name:  Repaircompletesm_zps7761092c.jpg
Views: 5060
Size:  123.6 KB

Footnote - the "repair kit" comes with a little brush and a tube of elmer's glue.
Name:  Elmersglueandbrushincluded_zpsf8952e33.jpg
Views: 4936
Size:  93.3 KB

Last edited by cyclehead; 05-26-13 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-12-14, 10:33 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I had mine done 3 years ago with the refoaming and seat removal. I had someone come to my house and do it. The seat removal was a royal pain. I too did not want any issues with the amp failing with an aftermarket speaker. It's been working fine since and I like to blast my music!
UPDATE.....Rattle is back. May have to go for a new OEM subwoofer. Problem is that not only is it expensive, but there is no guarantee the problem will not come back as it is a subpar speaker!
Old 03-13-14, 06:25 AM
1000hp
Driver School Candidate

/\ I was gonna say if you're really using Elmer's glue it's probably going to blow again.
Looks like it could be a permanent fix with the proper adhesive. Elmer's glue is for kindergarten projects.
Old 03-13-14, 09:03 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I would try the Liquid Electrical Tape, my understanding is that speaker repair shops basically use the same formula for repairs.

I used it on mine by just brushing around the perimeter, I didn't have a repair kit, and I would say it's a 90% fix. Only if I really crank it up and try to make it rattle is it an issue. For 99% of normal listening, you will no longer hear an issue.

I'm surprised they give you Elmer's Glue with the repair kit. I would think you would need a glue with more elasticity for something like a subwoofer that's constantly bouncing.
Old 03-13-14, 10:20 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Jabberwock, I looked for a while. Do you have that link for the aftermarket 16 ohm sub you attached to a thread 6 months or so ago? Thanks Warm
Old 08-20-17, 05:17 AM
Maltrix
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I followed this thread's advice but 8" is too small for the sub. Mine measures 9"
Old 08-20-17, 10:10 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

UPDATE.....Rattle is back. May have to go for a new OEM subwoofer. Problem is that not only is it expensive, but there is no guarantee the problem will not come back as it is a subpar speaker!
. Yes this is a possibility. I replaced my sub (after numerous attempts at the glue fix and one refoam). I purchased my oem from eBay for $295 which was a good price at the time. I don't blast my music and am aware that these are cheaply made speakers. I don't want to shell out any more money on the sub. This was years ago. The angle of the rear sub and the sun also plays a part on it's deteriorating. Poor design but the only one available unless replacing the entire system.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 08-20-17 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-20-17, 05:17 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Jabberwock, I looked for a while. Do you have that link for the aftermarket 16 ohm sub you attached to a thread 6 months or so ago? Thanks Warm
This speaker is much higher quality than the crappy ML OEM sub. It has two 8 ohm voice coils so it can be wired as a 16 ohm speaker. I replaced the ML OEM sub in my SC430 (which is identical to the sub in the LS430) with the sub below about 9 months ago and it works great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-8-DVC-Su...AAOSws65Tl2KCV

Last edited by Jabberwock; 08-20-17 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-20-17, 08:07 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
This speaker is much higher quality than the crappy ML OEM sub. It has two 8 ohm voice coils so it can be wired as a 16 ohm speaker. I replaced the ML OEM sub in my SC430 (which is identical to the sub in the LS430) with the sub below about 9 months ago and it works great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-8-DVC-Su...AAOSws65Tl2KCV
Better sound? I had the OEM rebuilt (new coil, new cone). I don't want "rattle the windows" bass or to upset the balance of the system. However, even w/ the bass cranked, the stock sub seems pretty weak.
Old 08-20-17, 08:27 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

. Yes this is a possibility. I replaced my sub (after numerous attempts at the glue fix and one refoam). I purchased my oem from eBay for $295 which was a good price at the time. I don't blast my music and am aware that these are cheaply made speakers. I don't want to shell out any more money on the sub. This was years ago. The angle of the rear sub and the sun also plays a part on it's deteriorating. Poor design but the only one available unless replacing the entire system.
I had the OEM rebuilt (new coil, cone and foam) for 125. Still doesn't sound that great. I like my ML but have considered getting a Base and doing high end stereo (with high resolution nav screen). Oh right, I'd also have to do the Sport suspension conversion too. Hmmm, my ML suddenly sounds better Clarity is great and sound is generally pretty good. Future speaker replacement (if can't be rebuilt) will be a challenge. Since aftermarket speakers aren't an option, does a 460 door speaker work in a 430? Any other newer Lex have similar speakers that would fit?
Old 08-20-17, 08:39 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Better sound? I had the OEM rebuilt (new coil, new cone). I don't want "rattle the windows" bass or to upset the balance of the system. However, even w/ the bass cranked, the stock sub seems pretty weak.
Even a cursory examination of the OEM subwoofer in the LS430 reveals it to be a bargain bin quality speaker at best. Cheaply made light weight basket, small low end generic magnet, cheap foam surround on the cone. The ML OEM door speakers in the LS and SC are also bargain bin quality. These types of low end speakers literally sell at audio parts suppliers for $10-15 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PIECE-SAMM...MAAOSwbElZbhu2). I know that is shocking since the speakers are branded with the vaunted ML brand (100% marketing hype btw - because ML in consumer electronics has been defunct for 35+ years) but it is what it is.

The LS is an amazing car but the OEM ML speaker components on the LS and SC are laughable. Paying $15-20 for a re-foam repair kit to repair a low end $15 speaker makes no sense despite the stupid price that Lexus asks for ML speakers.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 08-21-17 at 05:41 AM.

Quick Reply: $15 Subwoofer Repair - Mark Levinson