LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Buying a used UL LS430

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-13, 02:53 AM
JnC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a used UL LS430

Hey, CL, trying to get acquainted with the car before looking at a privately listed car. I have bought used cars all my life and I usually do this when it comes to buying one. Can current owners list all the areas/issues that I need to look for while inspecting the car beside the usual mechanical issues?

One thing I have come to know is the air suspension can be a problematic area, how to tell if one has gone bad? on its way out?

Also, would it be wiser to buy a regular LS rather than one with the UL to avoid any of such issues down the road? I intend on keeping the car for a while.

Thanks for all the help in advance.
Old 05-14-13, 07:41 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Be aware that replies regarding the reliability of the UL air suspension will not be scientific. Lots of people have pre-concptions about "things they've heard" but without first hand knowledge. People with problems are more likely to make comments than people who have had few problems and are happy. One failure of the air shock can be detected from seeing oil seepage on the upper shock.

Also, the more technology you have in the car, the more likely you are to have a failure. If you want to minimize failures, buy a car that has very few options and defuse those that it does have! You have to pay to play.

The LS430 is all about enjoyment. In my opinion, there is nothing better than a well maintained UL. Unbeatable experience.
Old 05-14-13, 07:50 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a UL and I have had no issues with it at all. I drove mine since I've had it from Fl to NY, smooth ride and comfort all the way. Put 20k miles plus on mine no issues. If you get scared because of non-UL owners talking about the suspension going out then you don't need the car, stick to the CL or ML. With all the bells and whistles there are more things that are likely to go out. The wow factor is with this car, everyone that sits in it falls in love with mine, lol, ESPECIALLY if they sit in the back seat. You could always take it to a Lexus dealer and get it looked at if you're worried, so you won't be going into it blind. In short, I am glad I made the decision to get the UL, I may change to aftermarket air due to it being able to go lower but the factory air is just fine, I have the DataSystems controller and it gets low now as it is....I'd say just do a thorough check on it and you'll be happy.
Old 05-14-13, 08:18 AM
marktmark
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

Typical issues:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ted-costs.html

Air suspension issues:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...es-here-9.html
Old 05-14-13, 08:44 AM
JnC
Lead Lap

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.

I intend on thoroughly inspecting the car myself and may be bring my tech with me if anything as the place is local.

I would prefer to get the UL but if I see something I dont like i'll gladly walk away from the deal to keep looking for a cleaner car.

Thanks for all your help yet again.
Old 05-14-13, 09:05 AM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

If you factor in about $1300 for conversion to factory suspension in future and still feel worthwhile deal then nothing like buying a UL. I personally avoided UL and bought a CL but for a good deal on a UL this can give your an opportunity to enjoy Air suspension and once it goes bad you can fall back to factory suspension. Best of all worlds!
I have no disrespect to non-UL/Non-CL owners and I am not bragging at all but the UL/CL cars really stand out compared to other LS430s. These may appear as small items but things like laser cruise control, extra leather on doors and dash, semi-aniline, automatic door closures seats etc. really make you feel special without significant additional investment, You are doing a good thing; researching before buying. That's what I did too.

If I buy another LS430 then my first preference will be to the ULs that have already been converted to factory suspension.
Old 05-14-13, 09:53 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Regardless of how well the car has been taken care of, eventually parts of the air suspension is going to need to be addressed and replaced at some point, just like conventional struts/shocks.

If you want the original system that came from the factory, you're looking at over $6,000 installed at a dealership to replace all the air shocks The shocks are over $1500 a piece at a dealer, and that doesn't include other misc parts of the system like the compressor and height sensors that are also big bucks.

I have had first hand experience with the air system on my wife's Lexus, but it was a GX 470. At around 80k miles, the air bags began to badly leak air and the electronically controlled shocks are weeping oil. To replace everything at the Lexus dealer it's around $6,000 as well.

I personally think the air ride equipment is for people that lease a car and dump it before the warranty and offers minimal gains in ride quality, but to each their own. I would definitely set aside a fund to either convert to a conventional steel coil system or a much bigger fund to replace the original air system.
Old 05-14-13, 12:39 PM
molecule
Driver School Candidate

I recently bought a UL here are some of the things I did b4 pulling the trigger ,
Went to Lexus.com and registered the Vin to check the service history .
Went to see the vehicle early one morning unannounced b4 it could be started to see if it was leaning slightly on one side or the other.
When driving the vehicle pay attention to see if it feels more like a car than a boat ride.
After you are ok with the air suspension don't forget to check out everything else and the massage seats for the outlaws .
Old 05-14-13, 12:50 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

You can split hairs over all the models and everyone has their percieved preference and needs.

Myself the UL is out, I need a pass through but I think the air is less problematic than thought if you keep the miles lower.
The ML with the Sport Suspension trumps the CL but this is just me but I liked the look and ease of the Premium dash. One thing assured you cannot go wrong with a 430 badge on the back they are sweet and reliable if taken care of..
Old 05-14-13, 03:30 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Buying a UL for me was a no brainer, but I was planning on modifying it anyway. The factory air struts are not that great anyway, so I had no problems switching it out to coilovers. Everything else in the car is awesome. Suede headliner, dual pane glass, auto door closers, pre-collision, radar cruise control, seat massagers, mini fridge, door sunshades, etc. A cheap set of $600 Megan coilovers will take care of your air suspension issues without affecting the ride quality very much.

After years of retrofitting the LS430 projectors into our GSs, it's really nice to have it stock.
Old 05-14-13, 07:20 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I owned a 2001 UL for 5 years. Bought it with 70K miles and traded it in with 174K miles on it. Never had a problem with the air suspension or any of the gadgets and toys...Loved the car just traded it because I wanted a newer one with less miles.
Old 05-14-13, 09:40 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

both models will have their benefits, but if i could give you any personal advice buy the car YOU want. Dont make a purchase based off what the guys on the web are saying, they arent the ones who are going to be driving it everyday. As for me, i personally got board of the white/silver/black LS's, so when a marron one came up in my area, i had to jump on it, and im so happy with my purchase thus far. some of the bells and whistsles in a UL isent worth not getting a exterior color you want, and personally, i think the grey in the UL's is not as rich looking as the wood in normal modles. again, just my personal thoughts man, no matter what you choose, you will be very happy with a 430.