LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Battery Recommendations for 2005 LS430 with Luxury Package

Old 04-15-13, 09:49 AM
VAWS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Recommendations for 2005 LS430 with Luxury Package

I have searched the forum concerning battery recommendations. However, all of the posts I could find were a few years old. I must purchase a new battery and want to get the best one I can for my car. Since I know nothing about batteries, your recommendations would be most helpful.
Old 04-15-13, 10:07 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

i put a yellow top in mine and i love it.i will put a yellow top in my other cars when needed.i ordered mine from advanceauto.com on line and went to the store and they installed it for free and i saved some bucks ordering on line.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 04-15-13 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-15-13, 10:19 AM
VAWS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Jim. I have done a lot of resarch and had decided to purchase the yellow top Optima. However, I then started seeing negative comments about the new versions of the yellow top. When did you put your batter in, please.
Old 04-15-13, 10:24 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

i put mine in about a year and a half ago.
you can check reviews on any battery and there are going to be some neg reviews.
amazon and other sites have to be taken with a grain of salt.buy form a store so any issues can be resolved there and not through amazon.
Old 04-15-13, 10:52 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I use to have an Ultra pkg '05 LS430. -- Like others said a Yellow top, OPTIMA Battery is really good choice. Best battery all around, I have one going on 9 yrs, still works no problems.. Check on this link is the one you need. http://www.optimabatteries.com/us/en...cycle-battery/
Old 04-15-13, 04:25 PM
VAWS
Driver School Candidate

So the deep cycle battery is the Optima battery recommended, lQW?
Old 04-15-13, 05:11 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VAWS
So the deep cycle battery is the Optima battery recommended, lQW?
Yes, the Yellow Optima is now both a Starting and Deep Cycle battery, the best of both worlds.
Old 04-15-13, 07:55 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I recommend a EverStart MAXX MAXX-24FS battery from Wal-Mart. Most are built by Johnson Controls (you can check by looking at the codes).

Big battery with 750 CCA. Built specifically for Southern or Northern climate - be sure to get the right version (N or S version as last letter in model/type). Be sure to ask for and get one with recent date code (like in last 1-3 months max). Comes with a 3 yr non prorated full no cost replacement warranty. And costs about $85-95. They also consistently do well in consumer report tests.

You can certainly spend more on other batteries but I don;t think its worth it to do so.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 04-15-13 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-16-13, 12:22 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I recommend a EverStart MAXX MAXX-24FS battery from Wal-Mart. Most are built by Johnson Controls (you can check by looking at the codes).

Big battery with 750 CCA. Built specifically for Southern or Northern climate - be sure to get the right version (N or S version as last letter in model/type). Be sure to ask for and get one with recent date code (like in last 1-3 months max). Comes with a 3 yr non prorated full no cost replacement warranty. And costs about $85-95. They also consistently do well in consumer report tests.

You can certainly spend more on other batteries but I don;t think its worth it to do so.

Sure thats a good one too, i could name off two or three more made by Johnson's control but it just boils down to personal preference and experience. I had alot of experience with Optima personally. Had it in every one of my cars for the past 20 years, never had a problem with any is why i prefer Optima..
Old 04-16-13, 12:48 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

I read the reviews too, and it didn't bother me cuz alot of people were using their cars for odd things like hooking it up to a Wench and stuff and Complain about it failing or not holding a charge..Umm, its a car Battery, for a Car.. LOL (I've use Optima in every one of my show cars or Race cars, for the last 20 years I had like total of 4 batteries in Multiple cars with 2 in both of my Lexus now cuz I would moved them to my newer car if i traded the old one.. On Heavy use, like draining it all the time for Car Stereo competitions, it lasted about 5 years on my Camaro and then when it got weaker but still held well, I put the 5 year old battery in one of parents car for another 3 years before it finally won't hold a charge, thats like 8 years on that one Battery which 5 of those years in Heavy use.

On light usage, I've had a Yellow Top in my GS400 since 2003 November so about 9.4 years now. and the other one i have it in my GS430 since April 2010 so 3 years on the other car. Optima ain't cheap but to me its worth it because I know when I put one in, I don't have to worry for 8-10 years..

Theres bad reviews everywhere, if you're worry about it. Just go and get an Autozone Duralast or Sears Die Hard and just call it a day..
Old 04-16-13, 11:37 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Kirkland battery fitment #23 for the LS is $84 at Costco and is 825 CCA with 3-year free replacement and prorated thereafter to 100 months. Have it for my LS and RX and both have done well for over 2 years now.
Old 04-16-13, 11:51 AM
Zodiac
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Kirkland battery fitment #23 for the LS is $84 at Costco and is 825 CCA with 3-year free replacement and prorated thereafter to 100 months. Have it for my LS and RX and both have done well for over 2 years now.
I thought the RX uses the Group 35 fitment 3. At least my RX 04 did. It was a tad smaller then the original Panasonic battery that lasted 8-9 years. Since it's Costco, anything happens within 3 years free replacement new battery.
Old 04-16-13, 05:15 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zodiac
I thought the RX uses the Group 35 fitment 3. At least my RX 04 did. It was a tad smaller then the original Panasonic battery that lasted 8-9 years. Since it's Costco, anything happens within 3 years free replacement new battery.
These things change often... the one i quoted is 825 CCA so it's good.
Old 04-16-13, 05:48 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You want the best battery or the most powerful? XS Power would be one of my top choices for best battery. For power I would put Lithium Pros at the top.
Old 04-16-13, 06:44 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I would not put a lithium based battery in my LS430 engine bay. Gets pretty hot in there and the LS doesn't have a fire warning or suppression system like the Boeing 787. I do have lithium batteries for some power tools but never leave them in their charger more than a couple of hours and certainly not overnight. Lithium battery use is super technology , super fast recharge and very lightweight and compact form factor but I think the safety factor stills needs to mature on that technology, super high energy density also means super high heat potential - hopefully bugs get worked out before people get hurt.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 04-16-13 at 06:48 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery Recommendations for 2005 LS430 with Luxury Package