LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2002 UL vs 2004 base vs 2004 UL

Old 04-12-13, 05:16 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2002 UL vs 2004 base vs 2004 UL

I am looking at a couple of ls430s which interest me and would greatly appreciate any feedback or comments/thoughts.

2002 UL (gold) with 87k miles. Needs to have 90k work done. 1 owner. No accidents. Private Seller. 12K.

2004 BASE (black) with 134k miles. Records up to date. No accidents. 2 owners. Dealer. 12k.

2004 UL (black) with 100k miles. 90k work done. Maintenance up to date. No accidents. Dealer. 15.5k

I read some previous threads pertaining to 2001-03 vs 2004-06 thoughts and generally came away with that if the 04's early tranny issues were resolved, 04 was the one. However, in respect to the value or bang for the buck, I'm struggling to resist the urge for the 02 UL with 40k fewer miles vs a 04 base or the 3500 jump for an 04 UL which would be my choice if money were of no concern.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-13, 06:44 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Any UL can be fun until anything at all fails...........Then it doesn't matter what you paid for it. My preference would be any car without the air suspension and it would be nice to get the refresh 04 or newer if the price is right. Then again you can save a significant amount of money with the first series LS430. Either series is a great car. Good luck
Old 04-12-13, 07:40 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

As an owner of a UL LS430, I think you would be better off with the 04 Base model. The UL's air suspension is expensive to replace unless you plan on swapping it out to coilovers or steel spring/struts. The Mark Levinson stereo is garbage as well and the sub/amps tend to go out a lot.

With the money you save on the base model you could swap the OEM radio out with a newer aftermarket one with navigation, bluetooth, and a back up camera. If you're into modding cars you could put that extra money towards future mods or maintenance.
Old 04-12-13, 08:29 PM
Zodiac
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am in a very similar situation. I'm In the market for a 04-06 LS 430 and Im contemplating if I should go with an UL with air suspension or regular. I'm awarded one can use coilovers in the event the air suspension fails but with coilovers installed I would imagine the resell value would take a major hit.
Old 04-12-13, 10:04 PM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I would get a UL preferably the 04'. I have a ML 2005 LS430 and a UL 2005 LS430. There are differences... I like how the UL has full leather most of the dash and doors are leather. The interior roof is suede..... compared to my ML its like sitting in a different car. theres also massaging seats... not to mention the rear seats recline. all of the doors are easy close....meaning (if you dont shut the door all the way it closes it for you). Theres privacy screens on both of the rear passenger windows. RADAR CRUISE CONTROL... that was a big winner since i drive on the freeway a lot. head light washers, air purifier, and a cool box you can actually fit a few cans of beer in lol. Yeah the air suspension is prone to go out but honestly it rides extremely smooth even compared to my ML that my fiancee drives and she her car has less mileage than mine and I just hit 90k.
Old 04-12-13, 10:13 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by Zodiac
I am in a very similar situation. I'm In the market for a 04-06 LS 430 and Im contemplating if I should go with an UL with air suspension or regular. I'm awarded one can use coilovers in the event the air suspension fails but with coilovers installed I would imagine the resell value would take a major hit.
That's a good point. Another option a lot of guys do is swap over the OEM suspension from a non-UL LS430.
Old 04-12-13, 11:16 PM
Zodiac
Driver

Originally Posted by mattbeeezy
I would get a UL preferably the 04'. I have a ML 2005 LS430 and a UL 2005 LS430. There are differences... I like how the UL has full leather most of the dash and doors are leather. The interior roof is suede..... compared to my ML its like sitting in a different car. theres also massaging seats... not to mention the rear seats recline. all of the doors are easy close....meaning (if you dont shut the door all the way it closes it for you). Theres privacy screens on both of the rear passenger windows. RADAR CRUISE CONTROL... that was a big winner since i drive on the freeway a lot. head light washers, air purifier, and a cool box you can actually fit a few cans of beer in lol. Yeah the air suspension is prone to go out but honestly it rides extremely smooth even compared to my ML that my fiancee drives and she her car has less mileage than mine and I just hit 90k.
And every time I read a statement like that it makes me dead set on UL package. How much are the air suspension parts for DIY?
Old 04-13-13, 12:13 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

And every time I read a statement like that it makes me dead set on UL package. How much are the air suspension parts for DIY?
I think you can get each air strut for around $800.
Old 04-13-13, 01:10 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mattbeeezy
+1. My UL experience is incredible too. Yes, when you have every option things will break. You just have to take that into your calculation for long term ownership. It is much nicer than an ordinary LS though.
Old 04-13-13, 08:58 AM
Zodiac
Driver

Originally Posted by Kira X
I think you can get each air strut for around $800.
After owning a BMW 5 series for the last 5 years $3,200 doesn't sound too bad LOL.
Old 04-13-13, 12:23 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

mattbreezy:
Dynamic Radar Cruise Control is not standard, even with the UL package.
It is part of a separate option callled PCS (Pre-Collision System) which is also available with the CL package.
Dynamic Laser Cruise Control is standard on both the UL and CL.
Old 04-13-13, 02:06 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

After owning a BMW 5 series for the last 5 years $3,200 doesn't sound too bad LOL.
I definitely can see that. 5 Series are no joke when it comes to repairs from what I hear.

It could be much worse. At least with the air struts you have the option of swapping over to the OEM steel spring setup if you want to save some cash too.
Old 04-13-13, 03:00 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

If the 04 UL has the rare PCS/Radar cruise option, I would definitely prefer it over the others. Now that we have a car (Prius wagon) with those features, I won't be buying another vehicle with out them.

Honestly, if the $3500 additional for the 04 UL is a problem, I would strongly recommend you consider something else besides a well used Lexus LS. I've been driving Lexus LS cars for 23 years and have known many LS owners and I know that just one trip to a repair shop can easily cost you that much if something major goes wrong.
Old 04-13-13, 03:40 PM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene01
mattbreezy:
Dynamic Radar Cruise Control is not standard, even with the UL package.
It is part of a separate option callled PCS (Pre-Collision System) which is also available with the CL package.
Dynamic Laser Cruise Control is standard on both the UL and CL.
wait.... you just said DRC is NOT standard, even with the UL package but your last statement said its both standard on the UL and Custom luxury? I'm just trying to get what your saying.
Old 04-13-13, 03:43 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 04-06 is to me much better than per-04, I wouldn't personally even consider an earlier car due to the styling changes and extra gear. UL is so choice - spend time in it and you will never go ML. CL is a strong pick but hard to find.

Comparing your two ULs, factor in the 90k service too, it's not that cheap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 UL vs 2004 base vs 2004 UL