LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How does dealer disable the automatic steering column?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-13, 07:08 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts
Default How does dealer disable the automatic steering column?

2004 LS430

I was interested in having the dealer disable the automatic steering column (where it moves out of the way until you put the key in the ignition) because I'm worried the column will wear out.

The service advisor said to do that, they would unplug the electrical connection to the motor altogether, so I wouldn't be able to adjust any more.

I thought "disabling" meant merely the "automatic" feature would no longer be in effect, and that this was something "flashed" into the car's computer as an option.

Looking through the car's records, it looks like the steering column has been replaced before, and I don't want to risk it happening again for a feature that I really don't care about.
Old 02-19-13, 07:11 PM
bootnylee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

someone on here had there's put to a fixed position due to failure.. you'll have to search for a thread

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 02-19-13, 07:16 PM
xlexusx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't you just pull a fuse?
Old 02-19-13, 08:26 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

That dealer sucks. They disable the feature, as well as adjust all the other "c-best settings", with a scan tool type device hooked up to the OBD port under the dash. It took my guy like two minutes to do, and all the manual adjustments will still work.
Old 02-19-13, 08:29 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by xlexusx
Can't you just pull a fuse?
I can pull a fuse, I just assumed more accessories went through it than just the tilt motor to the steering column (like stereo controls, cruise control, etc) Also, when my wife drives the car, I'd like her to be able to adjust the steering.

I was under the impression the automatic tilt away steering wheel was an option a dealer could program into the car, similar to how they can make it so when you press "unlock" on your key it can unlock all of the doors with a single press instead of pressing it two times.
Old 02-19-13, 08:30 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

I just noticed you're in AZ, if you're near the east valley give Paul at LexTech a call at (480) 354-8605. I don't know what he'll do for you, but he didn't charge me a thing to disable the auto steering wheel adjustment. He's a certified master lexus tech who left the dealer to start up his own shop.
Old 02-19-13, 09:12 PM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuester
That dealer sucks. They disable the feature, as well as adjust all the other "c-best settings", with a scan tool type device hooked up to the OBD port under the dash. It took my guy like two minutes to do, and all the manual adjustments will still work.
yup, i did the same thing with my wife's car. dealer kinda asked why i would want that option to be disabled & i told him why & all he could say was "good point"

they didn't charge me anything (which surprised me) and it only took them about 15-20 minutes.

as SQuester said, all the manual adjustments still work.
Old 02-22-13, 10:51 AM
wil1688
Driver School Candidate

I, too had request the dealer to diasable automatic on the steering wheel, last year. I was told ( Rally Lexus Long Island ) it can not be done. Could it be year dependent ( my is a 04 ) ?
Old 02-22-13, 11:49 AM
BradTank
Racer

The service advisor told me it can't be done, even after I insisted that it can. Supposedly he researched it and it's not possible. Mine is a 2004.

I personally don't think he knows what he's talking about, but maybe that particular year it's not an available feature?
Old 02-22-13, 01:17 PM
ipwn
Rookie

Techstream.

Did it myself on the LS430.
Old 02-22-13, 02:49 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Model year doesn't matter, 01-06 are all the same when it comes to this stuff. There's quite a bit you can customize.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...the-ls430.html

Print those pages out and show your dealer, there's really nothing they will be able to say after they see this.
Old 02-22-13, 03:07 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Dearer is dead wrong. Ask to speak to their master tech or find another dealer or independent shop.

Auto position on steering column can be turned off while still leaving manual controls still available for adjustment. It is a standard setting in the CBEST settings. A lexus dealer or a good Lexus tech/shop can easily make the change. Expect $30-50 charge for doing it. While you are at it changing the auto position setting tell them to also change the CBEST setting to stop the headrest from going up when you move seat bottom back and forth. The auto headrest option being on is one of the most annoying "features" in an LS430.
Old 02-22-13, 06:23 PM
wil1688
Driver School Candidate

OK, I will ask the dealer again..... thanks for the list..
Old 02-22-13, 09:04 PM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

i wouldn't want to go back to that dealer if they are insisting that they couldn't do it....i wouldn't trust them after that.
Old 02-23-13, 05:48 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
i wouldn't want to go back to that dealer if they are insisting that they couldn't do it....i wouldn't trust them after that.
Then you might not want to go to any car dealership or independent repair shop for service ever again. Remember that the primary job of most service writers is to sell service and generate revenue and they have revenue goals to meet. And honest mistakes are sometimes made.

I've had to explain things to service writers and sometimes their mechanics at Lexus, Mercedes, Honda, Volvo, etc. dealerships countless times in my nearly 50 years of driving - one of the reasons I almost always buy the official repair manuals as soon as I buy a car. Nothing is more effective that whipping out the repair manual to settle an argument.

Maybe print the list of customizable features that has been posted on this forum many times and take it with you to the Lexus dealership. That's what I have done.

Edit: Here is the LPS list already provided but in a perhaps easer to print PDF format.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2001 LS430 LPS.pdf (477.1 KB, 359 views)

Last edited by Kansas; 02-23-13 at 05:54 AM.

Quick Reply: How does dealer disable the automatic steering column?