LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

eBay timing belt kit question..

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 04:59 PM
Dirtyd210
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eBay timing belt kit question..

I know eBay has a timing belt pro kit for over $300, but there is also a cheaper kit for around $150-175 range.. I'm wondering if any one here has gone w/the cheaper setup and how it has held up..
I'll probably end up getting the pro-kit or go OEM, but I just want to know if anyone here has tried the cheaper setup. My 2001 is almost @ 210k miles. No engine lights, works flawless.. It has never had timing/water pump service done yet so before I replace, I thought I'd ask. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Dirtyd210; 01-17-13 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-17-13, 07:58 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

These particular critical parts are not the place I would try to save $150 on the LS unless the parts were absolutely identical. Just my .02.
Old 01-19-13, 06:55 PM
gbracer04
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dirtyd210
I know eBay has a timing belt pro kit for over $300, but there is also a cheaper kit for around $150-175 range.. I'm wondering if any one here has gone w/the cheaper setup and how it has held up..
I'll probably end up getting the pro-kit or go OEM, but I just want to know if anyone here has tried the cheaper setup. My 2001 is almost @ 210k miles. No engine lights, works flawless.. It has never had timing/water pump service done yet so before I replace, I thought I'd ask. Thanks in advance.
Are you saying you went 210k thousand miles without ever changing timing belt? Why would you risk it for that long when it should be changed before 100k?
Old 01-20-13, 04:27 AM
TSA1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gbracer04
Are you saying you went 210k thousand miles without ever changing timing belt? Why would you risk it for that long when it should be changed before 100k?
Same question! If so, thats impressive!
Old 01-20-13, 08:55 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I personally would buy a kit off of RockAuto, they have an Aisin kit for around $160, many of these components are the exact OEM ones:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...458&cc=1416642

I would prefer to go with an established seller for EXTREMELY critical parts than someone just selling parts out of their garage on Ebay, but that's just me.
Old 01-20-13, 10:32 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Rockauto let me down with quality of 'oem' parts more than once. Behind the hype they are just another junk reseller... Just my experience. To find out, that 'new' steering pump is leaking badly AFTER throwing out the old one and install job is f-ed. Then they send another one and.... situation repeats. No more rockauto for me.
Old 01-20-13, 03:18 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
Rockauto let me down with quality of 'oem' parts more than once. Behind the hype they are just another junk reseller... Just my experience. To find out, that 'new' steering pump is leaking badly AFTER throwing out the old one and install job is f-ed. Then they send another one and.... situation repeats. No more rockauto for me.
I don't think it's RockAuto's fault that a part was faulty anymore than it's Best Buy's fault if your Sony DVD player breaks. RockAuto doesn't manufacture the parts, they sell them.

RockAuto sells all sorts of lines, including economy junk parts to high quality OEM. Some people want "Pep Boys" quality because they have a beater and aren't interested in long lasting quality.

My problem with resellers like Ebay is some are reputable, but some are fly by night operations that are here today and gone tomorrow. They could be cleaning up junkyard parts and putting them in new boxes for all you know. I've actually had something like that happen to me from an Ebay purchase.

Places like Amazon or Rock Auto are usually safer because they'd be shut down in short order if they were caught selling counterfeit or used parts. You're also usually in better shape for any warranty issues with an authorized retailer.
Old 01-20-13, 07:31 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^ that's what i say. And RA has sections for some parts [brakes] that state 'economy' 'daily driver' 'premium'.

My experience is always good. I got a trico washer pump for an RX. Turns out it sprays very little, so i call and they have one on the way 'just like that' at no charge to me. Can't beat service like that.

With eBay, they'll make you resend [on your dime] and re-send you a new kit. Rock auto has millions of customers world wide, the most i've seen an ebay seller is 100k, and most <5k in terms of feedback...
Old 01-22-13, 10:00 AM
gomboy60
Pit Crew

Default Oem

I have recently replaced timing belt / other belts with couple of pulleys on my 03 RX300 after 150K with OEM part purchased on eBay. Even after all those miles, the belts looked perfect fine. It was a pain in the **** to remove some of the parts (there was a metal bracket that has to come off only when the front engine mount was lose and engine lifted few inches) but the bottom line is it is better to spend a bit more now on OEM parts. By the way, I was unable replace the water pump since I did not wat to risk breaking couple of long aluminum bolts (that already suffered stripped inver-torx head) .
The part vendor: CB-House.
Old 01-22-13, 05:55 PM
Dirtyd210
Driver

Yes.. I'm at a little over 206k miles and bought the car at 120k.... I've replaced radiator and fans, and thats about it. Other than regular synthetic oil changes I have had no engine lights and all is good.... I did replace vacuum hoses and fluids and thermostat when I replace radiator... I also putted slotted rotors front and back and have top of the line components, battery, etc...
I know it's "way" overdue, but this is the next service I'm planning for...
Old 01-23-13, 01:22 AM
TSA1
Driver School Candidate

I was reading over on the us lexus owner club forum that they rarely see timing belt failures, but that the main concern is something like a tensioner failing or the water pump seizing causing the belt to break etc.
Old 02-12-13, 04:46 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

I've used dozens of the "ebay" kits on many cars and never had any problems. The quality is usually very similar to OEM. Koyo bearings, etc. Just go with an ebay seller that sells a ton of them.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 02-13-13, 09:49 AM
khiggler
Driver School Candidate

I have read that LS 430 timing belts look virtually when changed at 120k miles. I hear timing chains are coming back In automotive design to save costs And improve reliability
Old 02-14-13, 06:25 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i would also replace the hydraulic tensioner at over 200k if it fails youre screwed
Old 02-14-13, 04:11 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, my 04 LS430 is at the shop now as I type getting the timing belt and water pump replaced at 94K. The mechanic finished the job yesterday using a Gates belt ( I personally have used Gates belts for 30 years and like them). When I took the car out for a spin the Check Engine came on. Back at the mechanics shop he pulled the codes and it came out as a Crank Position Sensor error. Everyone squinted while staring at the front of the engine concealing the new belt. He decided he wanted to tear it back down and try replacing the belt with a Lexus (I imagine Toyota) belt. He also ordered a new CPS to see if that was in trouble.

I have 2 thoughts. One, has anyone ever done this job only to find a CPS code being thrown out? What was the problem? Number two, man am I glad I didn't buy an OEM kit from eBay or Rock Auto only to find him looking at me and saying, "Well, it was your kit, sucker!"

I paid $875 for the job including a new water pump. He elected to keep the idler and the tensioner. He said they looked good and smooth and he's found new ones can be a crapshoot with some of them failing early. Any thoughts there?

Quick Reply: eBay timing belt kit question..