LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Windshield replacement LS 430 '06

Old 02-05-14, 08:45 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Pilkington does not make OEM glass for Lexus. End of story.

My Pilkington windshield has LEXUS imprinted on it.

Don't you think these two statements contradict each other? It's almost like you're confused and arguing with yourself.

Obviously if Lexus uses Pilkington windshields and allows them to put the Lexus logo on them, it's going to be quality product, and I would argue an OEM replacement.

The Lexus factory in Japan probably uses Asahi because it makes more sense because they don't have to ship the windshield from the US to Japan when they have a domestic alternative, it's not because it's necessarily a superior product.

If you want to pay $2,000 for a windshield on your $12k car because you're concerned about resale, go for it, but I would argue that's a dumb financial decision. If there's a replacement that Lexus/Toyota uses as their OEM, I'll skip the 1,000% markup. I don't believe for a minute that the Asahi glass is 10 times the product.
Old 02-05-14, 11:22 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
Don't you think these two statements contradict each other? It's almost like you're confused and arguing with yourself.

Obviously if Lexus uses Pilkington windshields and allows them to put the Lexus logo on them, it's going to be quality product, and I would argue an OEM replacement.

The Lexus factory in Japan probably uses Asahi because it makes more sense because they don't have to ship the windshield from the US to Japan when they have a domestic alternative, it's not because it's necessarily a superior product.

If you want to pay $2,000 for a windshield on your $12k car because you're concerned about resale, go for it, but I would argue that's a dumb financial decision. If there's a replacement that Lexus/Toyota uses as their OEM, I'll skip the 1,000% markup. I don't believe for a minute that the Asahi glass is 10 times the product.
No contradiction. As I stated in a previous post, the Pilkington windshield was a replacement. I for one don't want a cheap replacement, non-OEM glass in my car. That's not what I paid for when I bought my insurance.
Old 02-05-14, 11:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Pilkington does not make OEM glass for Lexus. End of story.
Actually...they do.

Pilkington is one supplier of OEM glass for Lexus. If you sit in a Canadian built RX you will see all the glass says "LEXUS" with "Pilkington" underneath it just as you describe. Japan-built Lexus vehicles have Asahi glass. I'm sure once ES production starts in Kentucky those cars will also use Pilkington glass.

So while your LS did not come with Pilkington glass, they do make OEM glass for Lexus...and if your windshield does say "LEXUS" on it, its an OEM branded windshield. I am also picky about OEM glass and insist upon it. If I was given Lexus branded Pilkington glass I would accept it. If it has the Lexus logo, its OEM. Pilkington glass without the Lexus logo would be another story, as would Asahi glass without the Lexus logo.

Here is the etching from my 2013 GS with Japanese made Asahi glass (AGC Automotive). This etching is identical to what was on my 2010 ES350, the OEM replacement I had put in the 2010 ES350, 04 LS430 and 03 ES300.

Really want to blow your mind? This is OEM US made Asahi glass on a Toyota from their US plant in OH. Note the black lettering as opposed to the etching on the Japanese Asahi glass

Originally Posted by rrgone
I noticed later that the new glass was marked Toyota, not Lexus... I wonder if perhaps there are some Toyota's that use the same windshield?
Like Kansas said, all the glass on Lexus vehicles said "TOYOTA" originally. My Dad's 98 LS400 had glass that said "TOYOTA" from the factory. They used an OEM windshield for your replacement.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-05-14 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-05-14, 11:50 AM
rrgone
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Pilkington windshield has LEXUS imprinted on it, but it is followed by Pilkington DOT-177, which clearly identifies it as not being made in Japan and not OEM (check the DOT listing for confirmation). This imprinted identification is also located on the lower right (passenger) side of the windshield.

My 1992 SC400, which I purchased new in 1991, came with LEXUS ASAHI DOT-20.
Originally Posted by SW13GS
Actually...they do.

Pilkington is one supplier of OEM glass for Lexus. If you sit in a Canadian built RX you will see all the glass says "LEXUS" with "Pilkington" underneath it just as you describe. Japan-built Lexus vehicles have Asahi glass. I'm sure once ES production starts in Kentucky those cars will also use Pilkington glass.

So while your LS did not come with Pilkington glass, they do make OEM glass for Lexus...and if your windshield does say "LEXUS" on it, its an OEM branded windshield. I am also picky about OEM glass and insist upon it. If I was given Lexus branded Pilkington glass I would accept it. If it has the Lexus logo, its OEM. Pilkington glass without the Lexus logo would be another story.

Like Kansas said, all the glass on Lexus vehicles said "TOYOTA" originally. My Dad's 98 LS400 had glass that said "TOYOTA" from the factory. They used an OEM windshield for your replacement.
This finally turned into a useful thread. Thanks guys.

Any idea what the Lexus branded Pilkington glass costs vrs the very expensive imported glass from Japan?
Old 02-05-14, 12:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by rrgone
This finally turned into a useful thread. Thanks guys.

Any idea what the Lexus branded Pilkington glass costs vrs the very expensive imported glass from Japan?
No problem. I added to the thread above, check out the rest of the info. I've replaced several Lexus windshields in my 15 years of ownership and I've done a lot of research into what manufacturers supply their glass.

Hard to say...if you look at Sewell's site for the RX, there are two part numbers for glass that seem to be the same part (same tint, rain sensor, etc). One is MSRP $1,894.24 and the other is MSRP $1,341.84. My guess (and it is just a guess) is that the $1,894.24 is the Japanese Asahi glass and the $1,341.84 is the Canadian Pilkington glass.
Old 02-05-14, 04:48 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

On my '97 LS400, I had two replacement windshields. One was OEM Lexus from the dealer and the second was an aftermarket Pilkington from a local body shop. Both were ok but the Pilkington was exactly the same as the OEM with less wind noise. The OEM lasted about 2 years before it developed a long lateral crack for no apparent reason. The difference may have been the installer but if I had to do it again, I would feel comfortable with the Pilkington that lasted about 5 years.
Old 06-04-14, 02:21 PM
TSA1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my car it had a cheap HY windshield. It still has it and I'm positive it lets in more road noise than an OEM. I need to get it replaced with a pilkington soon!
Old 06-04-14, 07:48 PM
LEXLUIS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TSA1
When I bought my car it had a cheap HY windshield. It still has it and I'm positive it lets in more road noise than an OEM. I need to get it replaced with a pilkington soon!
me too... i'll check mine tomorrow as I am sure is not OEM.

I get this noise at about 75/ 80 MPH that drives me crazy
Old 06-05-14, 09:02 AM
phanham
Driver School Candidate

I have a replacement Pilkington on my LS430, and my wife's Sienna XLE. Both appear to be fine replacements, and rain sensors unaffected; however, they both make the VIN unreadable due to little window not lining up perfect with factory VIN location...
Old 06-05-14, 09:27 AM
jasonson
Rookie

Is this on the "what to look for when inspecting a used LS430" thread, because I'm definitely making a note of it on my inspection list...
Old 06-24-14, 07:35 AM
goldmax60
Driver School Candidate

I have USAA also. I just replaced my windshield with the PGW and it is FANTASTIC. No flaws and a perfect replacement, rain sensor and all. Had it done at the Lexus dealer for my deductible.
Old 06-24-14, 08:35 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonson
Is this on the "what to look for when inspecting a used LS430" thread, because I'm definitely making a note of it on my inspection list...
just make sure your using Lexus.com for your scheduled maintenance when searching for the LS. I recently looked up about 4 LS's that I stumbled upon and one had the glass replaced was well as other parts. one LS had 77k 2005 or 2006 and 10 pages of service history
Old 05-24-16, 12:47 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Just replaced mine for new owner

Great service
Used oem chrome moulding
Rain sensor working perfect
Attached Thumbnails Windshield replacement LS 430 '06-image.jpeg  
Old 05-25-16, 01:05 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Retperio
My windshield needs to be replaced. I just bought the car and a rock hit the windshield driving it home. I can't tell if has already been replaced. How can I tell if the one in the car is the original or a non OEM replacement? It says PGW solar green laminated but I don't know if that's a replacement or not.
Depends if you have the ultra or not, the ultra has thicker glass to limit wind noise and minimize fog build up.
Old 05-25-16, 05:43 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

We caught a rock (right in the middle of driver line of sight) from a jacked up pickup truck on the interstate last weekend. Having the windshield on the LS430 replaced for the second time tomorrow.

I have driven approximately 600k miles in my lifetime on multiple cars and never had to replace any windshields until I got this LS430. It is a rock magnet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield replacement LS 430 '06