LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

would really appreciate some opinions on a UL im thinking about buying.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-13, 09:24 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would really appreciate some opinions on a UL im thinking about buying.

hey guys, so iv been looking for a nice clean LS for a while. i really like this one, and am thinking im going to go through with it but i would really like some other input from other members on here for their opinions on the car. The biggest thing i am worried about on this car would be the air suspension. the last thing i want is for one to blow out, but at 80,000 KM would this really be an issue? anything else i should be cautious about?

by the way, got him down to $12,000.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ435694082

thanks in advance guys.
Old 01-07-13, 09:30 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

***$12,500

sorry about that.
Old 01-07-13, 09:45 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

the interior looks like it has more milage than that ... mine has 80,000 miles and its not as worn.
Great price, I think.
Old 01-07-13, 09:53 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

yeah i thought that was odd as well. but for a UL i still think its a good pick up. thanks Stu.
Old 01-08-13, 12:25 AM
kenshimoto
Rookie

12.5 is a good price for a ul in that condition. not feeling the wheels tho
Old 01-08-13, 05:01 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Is that set on "Hi" in those pics? Cause it looks to be riding high, if you're looking for top of the line the UL is the way to go. Everyone gets on worrying about the air, if that's something you're worried about get a CL or ML. I have an '04 and haven't had any problems with my air really and I have more miles than that on mine...good luck with your purchase. Try to get it for as little as possible, lol.
Old 01-08-13, 06:54 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Check for baby damage in the rear center armrest controls, seats, & floor.
Old 01-08-13, 11:31 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I would go ahead and mentally factor in the price to replace the air suspension with the purchase price.
Not only is it mileage, but age, and it being an 11 year old car, the bags are most likely going to need to be replaced under your watch.

At a Lexus dealer, you're probably looking at over $2,000 for just new bags to be installed on all 4 wheels. More if you also need to replace the shocks/struts.

Personally, I avoid air suspension like the plague, as my wife's Lexus GX had it and I find it to be a silly option that almost made us dump the car early because we didn't want to throw thousands at it. To replace new bags and shocks, we were looking at around $4,000 if we used a dealer.
Old 01-08-13, 12:20 PM
Mavrick
Driver School Candidate

People have all sorts of opinions on the UL's. I can tell you that owning a UL with all the extra's is nice. Especially for road trips. Before you purchase, get that car up, both front and back, even if you have to do it 1 at a time. Check the underside for rust, salt corrosion, undercarriage damage and MOST importantly look at all four air shocks! Get a clean rag and wipe them off, checking for leaks(oil/grease residue) also toggle all the settings to confirm they are working. If they are leaking than you may have to replace in the near future ($1k each), so make sure you check them first, drive making sure to toggle the settings and before changing again allow for each setting to finish (ie... height, sport). Once you finish your test drive get back underneath and check those shocks for leaks again. Exterior looks to be in good shape. Interior does look a bit worn but probably just cosmetic.

Price is great and you know the engines are very strong and reliable. Doesn't hurt to check for service records either.

Let us know what you find and what you decide!? GOOD LUCK!

~ Scott
2004 Black on Black UL w/PCS 59,xxx.xx and loving life!
Old 01-08-13, 07:42 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

thank you guys all VERY much. this has been a huge help to me in my decision. i want a UL so bad for all the bonus features, but i just cant bear the thought of ever having to spend 4k to repair it. Id likley just go for a aftermarket air kit. the guy is gone until febuary, but ill still consider my options. thank you guys again. ill post another one in here if i need some more insight. you guys are the best!!
Old 01-08-13, 08:15 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I think air ride is a good choice for very rich guys who are driving it brand NEW, have a warranty, and don't care.

I wouldn't spend $ 4000 on a 2005 LS to replace air shocks. For me it would be next car time.
Old 01-08-13, 08:36 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

It's like owning an Audi A8. If it's new and under warranty, your're a celebrity. If not, be prepared to reach deep. Almost like going without health insurance.
Old 01-08-13, 09:38 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

has anyone of you guys had to replace any air parts?
Old 01-08-13, 10:15 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I found a UL that was a good buy when I was looking, I would've bought it for the interior upgrade alone. I planned to lower with coilovers anyway, so possible stock air suspension faults would've been a non-issue.
Old 01-09-13, 06:01 PM
tcbted
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car ... brave of you to post the link. I'm in Toronto where the car is advertised, but you have 1st call on it.

Who in their right mind would put the gorgeous OEM chrome wheels onto winter tires? Also not feeling the love for the aftermarket black wheels. First thing I'd do is put the winter rubber onto the black wheels, and return the OEM rims to the summer tires.

The stance of the car in those pictures looks strange .... it doesn't appear to be sitting level at all 4 corners.
I also agree that it seems to be sitting very high.

Good luck on the purchase.

Quick Reply: would really appreciate some opinions on a UL im thinking about buying.