LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Data Systems controller unreliable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-13, 07:09 AM
karmaz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Data Systems controller unreliable?

So i'm giving serious thought to dropping my 04 UL on the data systems controller, and getting some 20's on it (Work Euroline DZ or DH)

However, looking at the threads on here, it looks like a lot of people have experienced issues:

Height 'Hi' flashing at over 60mph

Uneven ride height, and needing to disconnect controller to reset itself.

So many people believe their controller is broken as it's not functioning right.

These are the exact things i'd hate to start happening to my car, as it's been beautifully reliable in my 9 months of ownership, and would hate to mess that up for vanity reasons.

I know the 20's won't look right on it without it being lowered, so before I invest in these wheels, my question to you Datasystems owners is: Have you experienced issues?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old 01-02-13, 10:32 AM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't say the Datasystem unit is unreliable. I would say that the technology used to "override" your factory air suspension ECU isn't perfect. You're basically fooling your factory air suspension that it's higher than it really is, so your LS430 will lower itself.

I owned a Datasystem for quite a while and it worked great, but again it wasn't perfect. It was a lower cost solution to lower my UL which has it's pros and cons. Keep in mind that people are more likely to post on this forum when issues arise to help solve problems. There are a lot of happy Datasystem owners that have zero issues who don't post on here at all.

If you want to maintain reliability, then don't modify your car.
Old 01-03-13, 06:30 AM
karmaz
Rookie

Originally Posted by waijai
I wouldn't say the Datasystem unit is unreliable. I would say that the technology used to "override" your factory air suspension ECU isn't perfect. You're basically fooling your factory air suspension that it's higher than it really is, so your LS430 will lower itself.

I owned a Datasystem for quite a while and it worked great, but again it wasn't perfect. It was a lower cost solution to lower my UL which has it's pros and cons. Keep in mind that people are more likely to post on this forum when issues arise to help solve problems. There are a lot of happy Datasystem owners that have zero issues who don't post on here at all.

If you want to maintain reliability, then don't modify your car.
I'm certainly not opposed to modifying my car, as I have a short ram intake & exhaust.

However, it does seem that a lot of people have had issues with these, from the proportional sample that has them on this forum.

I posted this thread in the hope of hearing success stories with them to counteract this belief, as I really want to lower it on the 20's.
Old 01-03-13, 06:51 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Or you can just modify the rods to get a moderate drop.
Old 01-03-13, 07:22 AM
LRoy430ul
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had mine for a lil over 2 years now with no major issues. Height Hi flashes occasionally but it doesn't bother me.
Old 01-03-13, 01:16 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had slight issues on startup, when switching from L mode to driving height, it would only raise on side of the car.....

Now, i switch to drive height and immediately shut off the car, so on startup, it is automatically raising to drive height.

I have now had no issues for months, ever since i realized this. Go for it! It is a little slow, but patience gives you a great way to lower your car for very little money
Old 01-04-13, 04:33 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It is a great and cost efficient solution to the $2500+ after market air. I have one, used it and didn't have the "height hi" issue, but like stated above it's definitely not perfect. I have mine off with intentions of putting it back on, I just thought I'd have my kit and everything by now and that didn't happen (kits in storage at friends and I have rear arms and new rims waiting in my garage). I am getting ready to deploy and might just sell the controller and rims, and get aftermarket air after my deployment (if wife lets me, lol). I can say my factory air operates fine with or without it, you just have to think are the little issues every once in a while and saving $2000+ is it worth it to you?