LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

REVIEW: USA Spec BT35-TOY Bluetooth Audio Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-12, 05:06 PM
DRWChicago
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REVIEW: USA Spec BT35-TOY Bluetooth Audio Adapter

So let's get right down to the brass tacks - given the number of audio integration options on the market for the LS (some good, some terrible) would you purchase the BT35 again? The answer depends on your music streaming preferences and whet you are willing to concede in terms of sound quality.

What I wanted:
  • Wireless Connectivity to my iPhone 5
  • Ability to keep my current controls (steering, etc.)
  • Bluetooth connectivity to be able to place and receive phone calls
  • Sound Quality that exceeded my cassette adapter and APPROACHED the same quality of an analog or AUX in

What I did not want:
  • To plug in ANYTHING
  • ESPECIALLY if that meant having the Accessory Connected screen on my iPhone. I hate that screen.
  • Any weird humming or other crazy sounds from the DAC

All I wanted for Christmas to be able to jump in my mint but old-*** 2002 Lexus LS430 and have whatever I was last listening to on my iPhizzle be brought up over Bluetooth on the ML. And to be able to skip forward and back tracks. Everything else was whatever, even placing and receiving calls. Based upon my research, the BT35 seemed like the ideal device, especially when I saw the price point (maybe a little too good to be true; we'll get to that later).

I have a Monoprice Bluetooth Adapter (http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2) for my home stereo; the thing was $19 US and sounds pretty damned good for what it is. Know that I'm a pretty picky bastard when it comes to audio, but the bare minimum is a 9/10 in terms of sound and the convenience of wireless. All of my 320kb or lossless stuff sounds good enough on my home system to not go ape**** every time and plug it into an analog connector. I expected the same quality from a device many times the $19 price tag and I must say, I was a little disappointed, but not so much as that it's no longer in my car. Here's the skinny...

The GOOD:
  • All of the functions work. I'm not sure how they did it, but they really nailed the interface piece. That being said, I've never placed a call on it - the MIC connection is there and a mic was included; however, I was going to take it over to a real shop to have them locate the mic in the old LexusLink mic port by the moonroof controls, but it’s not top priority.
  • Takes next to no time to switch a track; know that the audio is independent; you need to turn up your phone to 75% minimum to get the best out of this thing. More on this later.
  • The install was SUPER EASY. Follow the other posts in this forum about removing your radio; easy-peasy.

The BAD

#1 - Extra cable. Why they have to give you a throw-away with the Lexus LS kit, I will never know. But you will be purchasing the extra cable if you want your changer to work, from my understanding. If you don't care, just plug this thing in without the extra cable and you should be good to go. Allegedly. YMMV.

#2 - Audio quality. Cut and dry. If you have ever had a stereo that had a Stereo Expand button back in the day or maybe a DSP setting on your receiver that had different settings (Hall, Studio, Live, etc.), you’ll know what I’m talking about. It’s almost like the DAC on this thing interprets the Bluetooth signals a little differently and the sound has much more depth, even a little echo. It sounds like if you had Hall turned on on 2/10 on the DSP setting. I have to say, I’m not a huge fan. Does it still sound PRETTY good? YES. Tolerable for most, likely not tolerable for others.

So all that being said, I called up USA Spec Tech Support – they answered on Friday at 4p Pacific – I like. I let them know that I’ve read some other posts out there about the audio quality and asked them if there was anything they could do (firmware update, replacement, etc.). The deal is, there are two Bluetooth chip DAC manufacturers out there that make components for mass production. They decided that the one that would have forced the price of the device to $300 list was not worth it, so they went with the other one. Meh.

So I asked if there was something on their roadmap to have two devices; one lower-cost option and one higher. They said yes, but ETA was not available.

FINAL OPINION

Bottom line, if you are looking for a Bluetooth option, it does not sound bad. Does it sound like if you plugged it directly in via AUX? Of course not; otherwise, I would never have written this post. Be aware that if you are anything resembling an audiophile, you will take this thing out of your car. Do I tolerate it for the pure simplicity of the device and a level of convenience? HELLS YES. Would I trade up for a newer model that costs MUCH more? HELLS YES.

Last edited by DRWChicago; 12-30-12 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-14-12, 07:33 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Great review - thanks for sharing the info and your experience.

For those of us that want to stay with the LS430 for a few more years any kind of info and reviews on potential tech interface devices and solutions will be an important resource moving forward.

We just got a used 2011 Mazda3 for my 16 yo, it paired with his iphone via blue tooth in 1 minute using standard OEM radio. The LS is a wonder car in my book but its consumer audio and phone technology is embarrassingly outdated - every time I notice that silly cassette player I want to tear out that whole center stack and make it right.
Old 12-15-12, 04:59 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a great review. After reading it i am considering installing one in my 01 UL. I have a question though, what cable do I have to buy separately? Will it stream music through Bluetooth flawlessly? And the important question is is it possible to install the PA15-TOY iPod interface and BT-35-TOY simultaneously?
Really hoping to get answers for all my questions. Thanks.
Old 12-15-12, 08:33 AM
DRWChicago
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback guys. I felt the same way - embarrassed that i had to have a silly cassette adapter dangling down, ruining the aesthetics of the car and causing undue attention to a timeliness car's date of manufacture. It really is a slick vehicle for being over 10 years old and I'm sure I've gotten all of the value out it over the 7 years that it has been mine; I'm just trying to get a few more years our of her before I upgrade and adding Bluetooth to the mix really did take it up a level.

As for yuri.bur's questions:

You need to have the CAS-LEX cable in order to preserve the CD changer, adding on the Mini-Disc emulation (which is how the BT35 runs). I paid about $20 from an authorized USA Spec dealer.

http://usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=63

As for the PA15 being installed in parallel, it brings up an interesting proposition that I did think about and may entertain moving forward - adding in an AUX input and adding in Bluetooth module to connect the phone wirelessly. From what I heard from Victor at USA Spec support, the reason for the inaccurate modulation in the DSP and some of the sound quality issues was due to the power source being 12v. I get that this is not a pre-amped source and that you are going to lose some quality there. Would I be willing to rip it out and put in a PA15 to get better sounds quality? Maybe if I was a little younger and had more time to burn on this car that I do now. For what it is, I can bump the system and it does not sound atrocious.

As far as the Bluetooth streaming, if you can tolerate the slight inaccuracy of the DSP, the Bluetooth works flawlessly. Syncs up on it's own every time I'm in the car. You need to press the volume button in twice sometimes if the music source is stopped, which will turn the radio on and off, causing the iDevice to start playing again. Or press play on your iDevice.

As for running both the PA15 and the BT35 in parallel, nothing from the marketing indicates that you can do that; I think it's one or the other.

For $150 shipped and 30 minutes of install, it's a no-brainer upgrade if you are still rocking CDs or the phony-*** tape deck adapter.

Chuuch.
Old 12-16-12, 10:56 AM
mywong23
Driver

I have 01 without Nav; and wanted to install an iPod interface along with Bluetooth for wife.
USA spec was the only vendor who offered both pieces that were compatible. Neither Vaistech or Parrot had both components.

so I bought both PA-15 and BT-35. Install was easy only because I followed great instructions with photos that were posted in another thread. also got the official Lexus dash removal tool...
shaped like a thick screwdriver but made of plastic, so it doesn't scratch ( I took a photo of the tool, but haven't posted it yet).

I did start another thread about this but got bogged down because:

1) I received a defective PA-15, which did not keep my iPod automatically charged.
2) I had some issues with which DIP settings would work best. Victor has provided tech support.
3) I procrastinate doing write-ups...
4) I also removed the 6 CD changer and sent it in for repair, and to recover CD's "trapped inside the changer...."

But the replacement PA-15 keeps iPod fully charged, so iPod stay in glove compartment, "permanently".

and Bluetooth operation satisfies the wife, for 99% hands free driving. You do have to push the radio seek button to engage an incoming call (that the Blue tooth announces over the speakers

also you push the seek button again at the end of a call, to resume iPod (music resumes where it was left off, prior to incoming call)

5) quality of iPod music seems same as CD, to my non-audiophile ears...
wife loves steering wheel control of iPod functions: choice of playlist, changing, repeating tracks, volume control.

so, I can recommend using these USA spec, products.

6) unfortunately, have not yet installed the repaired 6 CD changer, so no writeup.
and almost a month ago now, the LS was rear ended by a hit and run white van, in SF.

Insurance deemed the LS totalled
and we are shopping for another LS....

most likely with navigation, as wife really wants the back up camera feature.
Old 12-16-12, 11:43 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy moly! Thanks for input. So it is possible to install PA15 and BT35 together. I have a few questions though.
Do you need one or two CAS-LEX cables to install both? Can you post a link to a thread with pictures you used as a guide to install? Can you please give me a link to a tool you used to pry up center console? Any tips on install itself?
Thanks a million!
Old 12-17-12, 08:02 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Brass TACKS

[QUOTE=DRWChicago;7651721]So let's get right down to the brass tax - [QUOTE]

Sorry, I couldn't get past the first line:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_Tacks
Old 12-30-12, 07:18 AM
DRWChicago
Driver School Candidate

[quote=aypues;7656331][QUOTE=DRWChicago;7651721]So let's get right down to the brass tax -

Sorry, I couldn't get past the first line:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_Tacks
Edited so you can unclench your butt-cheeks.
Old 12-30-12, 12:44 PM
mywong23
Driver

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
Holy moly! Thanks for input. So it is possible to install PA15 and BT35 together. I have a few questions though.

Do you need one or two CAS-LEX cables to install both?

Can you post a link to a thread with pictures you used as a guide to install?

Can you please give me a link to a tool you used to pry up center console? Any tips on install itself?
Thanks a million!
here;s install instructions and photos:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...avigation.html

yes, you need two CAS-LEX cables to install both. the cables act as " signal splitter"

the Lexus tool is fat and thick- like one of th e yellow tools in the link's photos.
It is NOT simiilar to a pry bar.

hth...
mike
Old 01-11-13, 07:41 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Vaistech MML/VML with your iphone via "Equalizer" app that incorporates independant L/R parametric equalization over the Levinson system. Best sound your gonna get out of the stock system. PUNTO! It literally allows you to tune the system the way it should have been done from the factory. And the app is like 2 bucks. 2 bucks to transform the ML system into something listenable. Do it and thank me later. You wont believe it's the same hardware. It's like having a JL cleansweep for free. Boom!

It's so good I should have kept it a secret. ;-)

Last edited by Lust4Lexus; 01-12-13 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-11-13, 11:49 AM
gstern1994
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parrot 9100

Another option would be to install one of the Parrot bluetooth kits. I have the 9100 and it's fantastic. I have the small display mounted on the inside edge of the instrument cluster, and the wireless remote is mounted on the center stack next to sunshade button.

It streams audio form any app on your iphone and you can initiate/end calls with the remote. Anserwing calls (or rejecting calls) can be done by voice as well.

The included mic is super; Best Buy mounted mine at the top, left hand side of of the windshield. Voice quality for calls is great and in stereo unlike the built in system. The Parrot unit also has some DSP controls as well that make a nice difference to the tone of the system.

The display shows who is calling (name/number), and track info from all sources - audiobook, Pandora, music library, etc.

GPS works great with it as well. If I'm streaming Pandora and I have a turn coming up, Pandora will mute as the direction is spoken. Awesome.

It's not cheap, it's about $170, plus a vehicle specific harness to plug into your stock stereo and I'd recommend a professional install as well.

There is also a 30 pin connector attached to a nice (longish) cord so you can charge as you drive.

Overall, it's been a super solution for me and I'd buy it again in an instant.
Old 02-02-13, 09:31 AM
bigun
Driver School Candidate

Kudos to DRWChicago for a great review.
I just installed in my new (to me) '06 LS with Levinson last night, and unfortunately the sound quality for streaming music just isn't acceptable at all. What a shame, this product is so well integrated otherwise. I have factory bluetooth for phone, and wouldn't have minded using this solution for phone instead. But the "DSP effect" absolutely ruins the music for me. Either this thing will go on Ebay or into the Sienna, not sure which.

On the positive side, i learned how to install a mic into the overhead, and patch into the stereo. it took me about 5 hours total, but i'm guessing the next solution will take half that or less.

So, for someone who needs great bluetooth streaming audio quality, is the Parrot 9100 really the best option?
Old 04-17-19, 03:07 AM
Swordsx48
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DRWChicago

#2 - Audio quality. Cut and dry. If you have ever had a stereo that had a Stereo Expand button back in the day or maybe a DSP setting on your receiver that had different settings (Hall, Studio, Live, etc.), you’ll know what I’m talking about. It’s almost like the DAC on this thing interprets the Bluetooth signals a little differently and the sound has much more depth, even a little echo. It sounds like if you had Hall turned on on 2/10 on the DSP setting. I have to say, I’m not a huge fan. Does it still sound PRETTY good? YES. Tolerable for most, likely not tolerable for others.
I'm glad you noticed it too! Found this on Google! Spreader or echo is exactly what I would call it.
Old 04-17-19, 06:16 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 118 Posts

I installed one a few months ago and I cant say I get anything like that effect.
I do feel like I get better clarity when my iPhone is paired vs my android, though
Old 04-18-19, 01:27 PM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So for my 2006 I'm looking at either:

- $600 for a Grom VL2 which is very cool but doesn't seem to get me SiriusXM (the only music I need) or
- $229 for a Garmin plus $250 for Vaistech for SiriusXM

Quick Reply: REVIEW: USA Spec BT35-TOY Bluetooth Audio Adapter