joerogan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe all have the button.
Old 12-10-12, 07:55 PM
sweetpeax
Driver School Candidate

Question What do i do about the missing switch???

Originally Posted by joerogan
I believe all have the button.
So now I find out that I have a hole where there should be a switch for power, normal & snow driving. I wonder if I am just missing the switch or if the whole mechanism is gone? I suppose this is another trip to the mechanic, but I don't want to get messed with. Can anybody think of a reason why I wouldn't have the switch, & what it would cost to replace??? Thanks.

Last edited by sweetpeax; 12-10-12 at 07:56 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 12-10-12, 09:16 PM
joerogan
Rookie

Originally Posted by sweetpeax
So now I find out that I have a hole where there should be a switch for power, normal & snow driving. I wonder if I am just missing the switch or if the whole mechanism is gone? I suppose this is another trip to the mechanic, but I don't want to get messed with. Can anybody think of a reason why I wouldn't have the switch, & what it would cost to replace??? Thanks.
I guess the only way to find out would be to remove that wood panel and see if there is a hook up for the switch.
Old 12-10-12, 10:47 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetpeax

Just wondering if anybody else has heard the comment "nice Mercedes" re the 2004 LS 430?

I've had my 430 for 2 months now, & I can't tell you how many times I've heard this from people & I'm not sure what model Mercedes they're talking about?????

Mine is black, without a ding on it, & so many people think I'm driving a brand new Mercedes.

I've tried to add pix but encountered problems, & because I'm a rookie, every time I try to go back & repost a pic I get a msg telling me I can't do it....any way to get past this? I'd really like to have 1 pic in My Garage....Thanks!
Yes, not long after I purchased my car I was in La Jolla and a guy in an older Rolls told me I had a nice Benz...I informed him it was a Lexus
Old 12-11-12, 07:45 AM
sajack
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Anybody that can't tell the difference btwn. a Lexus "L" logo and a three pointed star doesn't matter anyway. I mean it's like Kelloggs and Post cereal. How can you drive the roads and not even notice the names and badges on cars?
Old 12-11-12, 09:34 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
Yes, not long after I purchased my car I was in La Jolla and a guy in an older Rolls told me I had a nice Benz...I informed him it was a Lexus
You should have told him it's the.current Rolls.
Old 12-11-12, 10:06 AM
sajack
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
You should have told him it's the.current Rolls.
You should have complimented him on his Bentley.
Old 12-11-12, 02:20 PM
AlexusAnja

Originally Posted by sajack
You should have complimented him on his Bentley.
Or better.."is that the new Lincoln ?"
Old 12-11-12, 04:47 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Ive gotten the "is that a benz" statement a couple of times. Mostly from women so ill let it pass lol. But our LS's do look a lot like the mid-90's S-class for sure. Every time i see one i always look and compare the similarities of the two. I guess the LS430 it is what an updated S500 would look like if Mercedes would've keep that style.
Exactly. The newer LS430's overall shape borrowed many cues from the 90s model S class W140. It's a lot more refined and less boxy though. There were times when from afar I would mistake a black LS430 for a black W140 90s model S class. Besides the styling cues, I know the dual pane windows, thigh support, side folding mirrors and self close assist were just some of the features the LS430 borrowed from the 90s S class. If I am to buy another luxury car to replace my LS, it will have to be the LS430. The 00+ S class is nothing but an electronic headache. You need to be lucky to own one that doesn't give you any issues.

This was my 97' S420. The level of quality of this car was amazing. I owned it for 8 months and it never gave me a problem except for the power antenna motor that stopped working. I would have kept it but I know those cars have the very real potential to bankrupt you. Even the smallest of problems would have cost you a few hundred dollars. I got out of the game while I was still ahead
Attached Thumbnails Driving a Lexus or Mercedes?-img00751-20120530-1946.jpg   Driving a Lexus or Mercedes?-img00750-20120530-1533.jpg   Driving a Lexus or Mercedes?-img00620-20120403-2116.jpg   Driving a Lexus or Mercedes?-img00672-20120418-1835.jpg   Driving a Lexus or Mercedes?-img00632-20120405-1605.jpg  

Old 12-11-12, 07:06 PM
AlexusAnja

I could never understand the logic of putting the power window buttons on the center console, where you would have to take your eyes off the road (or fumble for the buttons blindly) to say open the passenger window. Almost everyone had the power window buttons on the door rest, where it's logical and easy... but NO !!!! We have it make it more ergonomically incorrect...
Old 12-17-12, 10:13 AM
sweetpeax
Driver School Candidate

Default Nice benz!!

Originally Posted by SaleenS7
Exactly. The newer LS430's overall shape borrowed many cues from the 90s model S class W140. It's a lot more refined and less boxy though. There were times when from afar I would mistake a black LS430 for a black W140 90s model S class. Besides the styling cues, I know the dual pane windows, thigh support, side folding mirrors and self close assist were just some of the features the LS430 borrowed from the 90s S class. If I am to buy another luxury car to replace my LS, it will have to be the LS430. The 00+ S class is nothing but an electronic headache. You need to be lucky to own one that doesn't give you any issues.

This was my 97' S420. The level of quality of this car was amazing. I owned it for 8 months and it never gave me a problem except for the power antenna motor that stopped working. I would have kept it but I know those cars have the very real potential to bankrupt you. Even the smallest of problems would have cost you a few hundred dollars. I got out of the game while I was still ahead
Your pix are beautiful, & I can see the similarities with the LS 430. I never even considered buying a Mercedes because of the expensive maintenance.
Old 12-17-12, 10:19 AM
sweetpeax
Driver School Candidate

Question How many people in so cal use this switch???

Originally Posted by joerogan
I guess the only way to find out would be to remove that wood panel and see if there is a hook up for the switch.
Yeah, you're right but....how many people actually use this switch? I am no "power" driver - I just put my car in DRIVE & go, Also, living in SoCal, I really have no need for a "snow" option. Is this really something I would use often????
Old 12-20-12, 11:21 AM
Neil4Speed
Driver

I could never understand the logic of putting the power window buttons on the center console, where you would have to take your eyes off the road (or fumble for the buttons blindly) to say open the passenger window. Almost everyone had the power window buttons on the door rest, where it's logical and easy... but NO !!!! We have it make it more ergonomically incorrect...

Like many things its a preference thing. Putting it on the center console sounds just as logical to putting it on the side.

One Ergonomic thing that Mercedes got right was the power seat adjustment on the door.
Old 12-21-12, 05:39 AM
AlexusAnja

Originally Posted by Neil4Speed
Like many things its a preference thing. Putting it on the center console sounds just as logical to putting it on the side.

One Ergonomic thing that Mercedes got right was the power seat adjustment on the door.
I disagree, ergonomics is about flow and design so that you do less movement, more comfort, and ease of use. If you go with idea that it's "preference" then what if manufqcturer decided to put the trunk button in the back seatarm rest?

The seat button can go either way. The seat buttons looking like a seat seem more intuitive and doesnt require you to fumble around or take eyes off road but the power window button does.
Old 12-24-12, 10:03 AM
sweetpeax
Driver School Candidate

Question Am i missing something???

My power window buttons are NOT on the center console, but on the door rest....where they should be! Mine is a 2004 LS 430, & I'm wondering what years had the buttons on the console?

Quick Reply: Driving a Lexus or Mercedes?