LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Nav "ECU" Upgrade from 2002 (Gen 2/3) to a Generation 4 out of a Prius

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-12, 03:41 PM
Bonsai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav "ECU" Upgrade from 2002 (Gen 2/3) to a Generation 4 out of a Prius

I have a 2002 Lexus LS430. At some point in the past 6 months I started to get both disc read errors as well as no disc found errors. Apparently, after a fair amount of research here, I came to the realization that the Gen 2/3 DVD drives have motors that can go bad and the laser will not longer work.

After a fair amount of reading, I decided that if I was going to replace my unit, I would rather replace it with an upgraded unit. It turns out that up through the Generation 4 Unit is plug and play with the Generation 2/3 plugs.

I ended up receiving a unit that I ordered off of ebay yesterday. I pulled the original one out of the trunk and plugged in my new one. It took a moment to load when I first plugged it in, however after about 30 seconds, it booted right up. Originally, the GPS couldn't find me, it said I was in Ohio, even though I was here in Maryland. After turning the car on and off 3-4 times, it found me perfectly. I tested it out and it found my house and navigated there easily. If I had known it was this easy I would have done this months ago when I started having problems.

I can recommend that if you have a unit that is giving you problems and not reading the disc correctly and you want to replace it, that you upgrade it to the Gen 4 model if you are going to replace it. The model number is 86841-50090.

Most of my information came from this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...tected-11.html
Old 11-17-12, 04:37 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How much does a used unit cost approximately?
Old 11-17-12, 05:56 PM
masterff
Rookie

what years did the gen 4 nav ecu go upto in the Prius?
Old 11-18-12, 06:52 AM
Bonsai
Driver School Candidate

I am unsure on both of those. As to cost, it sort of depends. Some people report seeing them as low as 300. I paid 425.

As far as what years it was used, I'm unsure. I'm sure if you did some research you could figure it out, but I just went by the part number on it. This is the part number used in Gen 4 drives, regardless of whether they're for Lexus or Toyota: 86841-50090

If you google that part number or search it on ebay, you will find some used Gen 4 Drives for sale.
Old 11-18-12, 09:08 AM
gridpower
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the Gen4 unit change anything that the Gen2 screens display or does it work/look the same?
Old 11-18-12, 09:52 AM
Bonsai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gridpower
Does the Gen4 unit change anything that the Gen2 screens display or does it work/look the same?
There are a few changes. It's much faster than the Gen 2 unit, and it offers a number more color options. You can also look up places by phone number. So, say for example, you know the phone number to a restaurant and you want the address, it can look it up for you. I thought it was neat. I wouldn't necessarily say that it's worth upgrading if you have a working Gen 2 unit, but given that mine was bricked and replacements were about the same price whether I went Gen 2 or Gen 4, Gen 4 is definitely nice and easy.
Old 11-18-12, 12:26 PM
98sscamaro
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you able to do the Bluetooth phone now? Also is the screen resolution the same or better now?

Thanks
Old 11-19-12, 05:17 AM
Bonsai
Driver School Candidate

As far as bluetooth, because my car did not have it originally, even if it now has the capability, I have no way of hooking it up.

As far as the resolution is concerned, I believer it's similar. The resolution of the screen would be limited by the screen itself more than by whatever device was pushing information to it.
Old 12-20-15, 02:31 PM
ligurt
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bonsai
As far as bluetooth, because my car did not have it originally, even if it now has the capability, I have no way of hooking it up.

As far as the resolution is concerned, I believer it's similar. The resolution of the screen would be limited by the screen itself more than by whatever device was pushing information to it.
What do you mean it has the capability but you can't hooke it up? What is involved for?
Old 12-21-15, 06:40 AM
Bonsai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ligurt
What do you mean it has the capability but you can't hooke it up? What is involved for?
It's been a while since I made this post, so I can't remember exactly what I meant, but I suspect I meant that there was a port on the Gen 4 unit to hook up a blue tooth wire. However, because my car did not come with a wire to connect blue tooth, even though there is a bluetooth hook up, I can't use it with my car (without modifications).