LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Issues with turn over and hot metal smell

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-12, 01:11 PM
Mekare
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Issues with turn over and hot metal smell

I have posted this on another message thread, but it is not directly related to that thread so much as secondary, so I'm starting it by itself. I have received one reply regarding the theory of the alternator.

"Tonight, I went out to deliver something and had to wait at the persons house for five mintues before they got home. I shut the engine off and had the heater and radio on for five minutes before the radio lights began blinking off and on repeatedly. I shut everything off manually and tried to start the motor, hoping the battery wasn't dead. I heard nothing but click, click, click...silience. I called someone to jump me. I waited two more minutes and tried to turn the motor again. It fired, but struggled, like it was turning too slow and not regularly. I pressed down the gas to reve the motor (instinct, not sure I should have) and the motor stayed running at that point and ran just fine for the rest of the night. I even shut it off and started it, with no problem, twice after that. However, I only drove for five to seven more minutes to return home after the car wouldn't start and by the time I arrived a hot metal smell was eminating from the hood. Now, I have very sensitive senses, so this was probably a low level strength scent, but it smelled obvious to me. Could this be my water pump causing the problems I experienced? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thanks in advance."
Old 11-17-12, 01:46 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Loose battery connections. Alternator, battery,.....
Old 11-17-12, 02:07 PM
Mekare
Driver School Candidate

The battery has been replaced just in the last year, twice I might add. Therefore, I know the connectors are clean and snug. I've been hearing gurggling sounds coming from the motor when I sit in idle too long also; which is why I thought it might be related to the water pump. The temp gage doesn't go red, but it does go about two thirds of the way up and that never happened before. I already planned on the timing belt and water pump, as I'm due for the 90K service, but I'm thinking I may have to stop driving until it's done if this is related.

I've had alternators go bad in other cars and never smelled hot metal. That's what throws me about this incident. Could a bad alternator do that if the pully on it is slipping. If something was internally grinding, I would think I would hear it. Out of a dozen cars in my life, I've never seen an alernator make that smell.
Old 11-17-12, 03:42 PM
Mekare
Driver School Candidate

I did some research on the signs of a bad alternator, and it seems everyone has consistant issues with all lights and electrical losing power, not just one electrical item blinking on and off for a few seconds (my radio was it, not the headlights or the heater). There is always a report of a high pitched wine to accompany the problems. I have no high pitched noises whatsoever. Now, it looks like there is a known problem with the wiring between the battery and alternator, so that's something to check out. The thing that throws me is no reports of a hot metal scent.
Old 11-17-12, 04:24 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

The hot metal smell could be the rotors or brakes scraping. Go very slow at around idle and listen closely if you can hear any high pitched squealing or scraping.
Link for the hot metal scent your having:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...tal-smell.html
And definitely check the alternator. New or not, the symptoms give it away. GL with your car!