LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Downy Fabric softener under the cabin air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-12, 08:31 PM
hardimen
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downy Fabric softener under the cabin air filter?

My mechanic suggested to me that I place downy fabric softener underneath the cabin air filter to get "freshier" smell inside the car. Have any of you guys done this? Will the extra layer restrict the air flow? Will this have any long term effect to the air flow system?

I'm just wondering what you guys think of this idea. Thanks.
Old 10-04-12, 09:18 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I think it would be safe. It sounds like a good way to keep the car smelling flesh.
Old 10-05-12, 12:34 AM
stemirra
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw a small clear clip attached to my rear cabin air filter (01 ultra luxury) insert and use it to attach leather wafers a small new car leather sent wafer I buy on ebay to it works wonferfully.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 10-05-12, 09:39 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Is there a particular "aroma" that you don't like? The cars I come across that have particular smells are those of smokers, owners who leave windows down and or do not regularly clean the interior of the accumulating dust, dirt, etc. Often the smells come from the carpet and getting those steam cleaned by your detail guy will eliminate the odors.

One of my college buddy's would hit the gym sweat heard then plop himself into the car...suffice the inside of the car smelled like the gym. I absolutely detested riding in his car because the least of which I want my clothes to take on that sweaty gym smell. He had fabric seats so after a cleaning it cleared about 90% of the smell. He used a liquid freshener to cover up the rest.

Downy is a useable suggestion if you don't mind people thinking you've done laundry inside the car. Personally that's not the aroma I associate with a car interior. The softener sheets some have suggested as computer filter screens. It works and since the fan blower if sufficiently strong in a car, the slight reduction may not be noticed. You'll have to try it and see/smell.
Old 10-06-12, 01:55 PM
Michaeldc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Putting downy works so you don't get the gasoline or nasty smell in your car but your just covering up the smell. I would recommend replacing them and getting an interior detail.
Old 10-09-12, 03:03 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally like the natural smell of Toyota/Lexus cars with leather and even tho my car is 7years old now, i can still smell a hint of it on occasion. Its the same factory smell my 92 Camry had back in the day. One way i found get it back and to kill a lot of other smells is to not drive it for a couple of days in the summer, parked with the windows rolled up. This kills a lot of the bacteria thats associated with odors. Other than that, i occasionally give it a couple of sprays of new car scent once a week tops. I'm not a fan of overbearing aftermarket scenting.
Old 10-09-12, 08:42 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Downy dryer sheets - lab engineered very powerful factory created artificial fragrances. Typical industrial fragrances are usually petroleum product derived synthetic molecules and compounds engineered to attach themselves to textiles (clothes) in a high heat environment. Some people are very allergic to any contact with these compounds, although the majority of folks have no health problems wearing artificially scented clothes. I myself would not recommend breathing that stuff on a regular basis. .