Michaeldc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

every 5k with synthetic oil
Old 10-07-12, 01:04 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Pennzoil is garbage and it causes sludge in motors,castrol is the only way to go,plus the dealer uses it and its what lexus recommends.
Old 10-07-12, 04:26 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Modern day name brand oils are pretty good these days. That is because most of them certified to well established and well published requirements that are standard across the industry. So check the container and if its SN certified you can expect it to act like any other SN certified oil. The additive packages are what makes one oil different from another - these vary in some ingredients but mostly are marketing related variations ...if you know what I mean.

Those who want to delve into more detail can check out the popular BITIG forum. Amazing amounts of information and also real life data/rest results on current oils from folks that regularly send their oil to Blackstone labs ....serious oil weenies on the site.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Board=1&page=1
Old 10-07-12, 05:06 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Bob's 2010 test results....Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Valvoine, Castrol not sure why we see posts that pennzoil is akin to the Brea Tar Pits. Long time ago there was some commotion about Pennzoil

Change intervals depend alot on city Hwy driving.
Old 10-07-12, 09:46 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

For those interested, you can back up your intervals by having an oil analysis done and testing the TBN (total base number) for the additive package left in the oil.
Old 10-07-12, 06:55 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

8K-10K on synthetic. It all depends how you drive. My driving is 20 mi on the interstate + 2 mi in the city each way, so I could easily go 10K+ on M1 0w40. If your driving is mostly short distance, you might consider changing earlier, especially if using dino. 3K is a scam unless you're using dino and taking short trips all the time, or if you're unfortunate to have one of those engines reputed to sludge up if you don't change every 3K mi. It takes about 8 miles to warm up the engine/oil to the point that the water in the exhaust evaporates (thus not using up the additives).
Old 10-18-12, 02:07 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

I do a DIY no-jack oil change every 8000km. This is the service interval specified in the 2002 guide. I do a lot short drives, and I never idle the car after starting (even in the cold Canadian winters), so this may be considered a severe duty cycle. Therefore, I won't extend drain intervals until I confirm it's OK via used oil analyses with a TBN.

The 2002 LS430 specification is 5W-30, API SJ or higher, ILSAC GF-4 or higher. The latest API is SN, latest ILSAC is GF-5.

http://www.oilspecifications.org/api_eolcs.php
http://www.oilspecifications.org/ilsac.php

Lexus dealerships have been advised to use 5W-20 and to quote the reasons "increased fuel efficiency" and "increased power". However, I think these increases are negligible and come at a cost of increased engine wear. Protecting the engine from wear is a higher priority for me, since I plan on keeping the car for a very long time. Therefore, I'll follow what their engineers specified originally - 5W-30.

My personal choice is a synthetic 5W-30 with the cheapest on-sale price that meets API SN, ILSAC GF-5, ACEA A1/A5/B1/B5, and GM dexos1. So far, the choices were Castrol EDGE with Syntec and Mobil 1.

A non-synthetic oil meeting these criteria would be probably be perfectly fine, and I'll consider that after running some UOAs.

I've recently changed out Castrol EDGE with Syntec and will send a sample off to Blackstone Labs for a UOA. I filled with Mobil 1 this time around, and will get another UOA at the next oil change to see if Mobil 1 does anything differently.
Old 02-02-13, 04:41 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the recommendation to get a Used Oil Analysis after 5K miles is a good recommendation. You'll probably find there is a lot of like left if your using a true synthetic. I have a good friend who is a fleet manager for a large defense conglomerate and he uses dino in Chrysler cars every 5K and the cars lasted forever.
Look at the bobistheoilguy web page for more than you ever want to know. I know they tested a Camaro some time back and went up to 18K miles before the oil started losing the additives. They put in a quart of added fresh oil (pulling out a quart, I presume to make space but it may have burned it) and the oil bounced right back. I would never do this but if you want to be reasonable I suspect 10K on synthetic is unlikely to hurt anything. Do 5K or 7500 is OK for a fallback position even as you know the oil is still doing it's job. The 3K number is total overkill. This made sense on old oils in old cars when the oil broke down and carburetors ran richer leaving all kinds of burned petroleum for the oil to pick up. The shops still sell that number to gin up business and protect themselves from the lawyers IMHO.
Old 02-03-13, 05:25 AM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fensterlip
I think the recommendation to get a Used Oil Analysis after 5K miles is a good recommendation. You'll probably find there is a lot of like left if your using a true synthetic. I have a good friend who is a fleet manager for a large defense conglomerate and he uses dino in Chrysler cars every 5K and the cars lasted forever.
Look at the bobistheoilguy web page for more than you ever want to know. I know they tested a Camaro some time back and went up to 18K miles before the oil started losing the additives. They put in a quart of added fresh oil (pulling out a quart, I presume to make space but it may have burned it) and the oil bounced right back. I would never do this but if you want to be reasonable I suspect 10K on synthetic is unlikely to hurt anything. Do 5K or 7500 is OK for a fallback position even as you know the oil is still doing it's job. The 3K number is total overkill. This made sense on old oils in old cars when the oil broke down and carburetors ran richer leaving all kinds of burned petroleum for the oil to pick up. The shops still sell that number to gin up business and protect themselves from the lawyers IMHO.
Fenster, You and I think a lot alike for sure. BITOG is a great site with a wealth of knowledge. Here is another take or reason to run an oil analysis. We want to create what is a called a base-line. Every time you run an oil test you want it to be the same, per say. It's when of the levels starts to climb or has a large spike.
The Silicon is a very simple one. Your air filter is starting to lose it's function as the numbers start to climb. A rise in the Iron could be a bearing, etc. It is such a neat and interesting thing to do.

I use www.blackstone-labs.com
Old 02-03-13, 08:22 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

WOw didnt know about this test. Thanks for sharing. I think now on many cars (or all new cars) will increase their engine oil service interval. My Volvo says 7,500 and i follow that since the engine is designed that way and stick with what they recommend. That is , Castrol

Originally Posted by BradTank
They've done all sorts of tests, and the old "3,000 mile oil change" has shown to be a waste of oil, even with conventional oil. A lot of people still use standards from when cars still had carburetors and oil technology was nowhere near it is today.

I remember Consumer Reports did a famous test where they put conventional (non-synthetic) oil in several NYC taxicabs, inspected the engine wear under magnification before and after, did tests on the oil, etc. and basically found that even under severe duty, there was really no difference between changing your oil at 7,500 miles vs 3k miles.
http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...9&slug=2336807

For synthetic oil with a quality filter, I think 7k-8k miles between changes is still on the cautious side for a modern car.
Old 02-03-13, 10:43 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default best way to have any lexus run forever

buy mobil 1 extended performance not the regular mobil one thru my research it has double the amount of synflo the cleaning agents also i found compared to mobil 1 regular my ls400 it would not break down over time like the regular mobil 1.. if you use mobil 1 synthetic oil filter and the mobil 1 extended performance u can change at 10k religiously with no issues.
i know there will be 100 other people talking about penzoil and castro but do the research on the las vegas field study with cabs everyone thinks its regular mobil 1 it wasnt ..
you can buy a 5 quart jug in walmart for 29$
happy motoring
Old 02-03-13, 04:17 PM
TSA1
Driver School Candidate

5k+ with conventional and I usually do over 7500 with Synthetic. The biggest issue seems to be oil filters not the actual oil needing changing. BMW does 15k miles or 1 year on their service intervals, I've seen many threads on BMW forums where the oil is fine, but the filter is about to go at that mileage.

I have some Mobil 1 0w-40 european car forumla. It is the only Mobil oil to met BMW-LL01, VW and Mercedes Benz oil standards and is factory fill on Porsche. Castrol 5w-30 syntec with the Gold Cap is also good, just look on the back and make sure it says Made in Germany much better than the BP made Castrol.
Old 02-04-13, 11:03 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by ls430lover
buy mobil 1 extended performance not the regular mobil one thru my research it has double the amount of synflo the cleaning agents also i found compared to mobil 1 regular my ls400 it would not break down over time like the regular mobil 1.. if you use mobil 1 synthetic oil filter and the mobil 1 extended performance u can change at 10k religiously with no issues.
i know there will be 100 other people talking about penzoil and castro but do the research on the las vegas field study with cabs everyone thinks its regular mobil 1 it wasnt ..
you can buy a 5 quart jug in walmart for 29$
happy motoring
What is the part number on that Mobil1 synthetic filter? Amazon had a big sale on them a few days ago but I wasn't sure what the correct number was for the filter.
Old 02-04-13, 01:53 PM
ipwn
Rookie

10k, just because we're generally pretty normal here in the UK.
Old 03-03-13, 09:38 AM
sdbmw
Driver School Candidate

10 k. 3k or even 5k is a waste of money and oil.

Quick Reply: Oil Change intervals