LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

A/C recharging question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-12, 12:25 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts
Default A/C recharging question

My 2005 LS air conditioning is starting to loose it, and on very hot days it manages ( just) to get the car comfortable. I hope all it needs is a recharge. It has very slowly deteriorated over the summer. With the summer heat almost done, I can easily live with it as-is for the next few months, so my question is : is there any reason why I should not wait until next spring to get this done ?

I don't want to let the low gas condition cause me futher complications by me delaying the charging of the system.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-12, 02:12 PM
john339
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it has a slow leak you don't want it to go empty.
Also, when you run the defroster in the mornings during the winter you want the dry air to help remove the moisture on the windscreen.
They will tell you if it is a leak and they can pin-point where it is.
I would get it fixed now but that is just my opinion and you know what that is worth.
Old 08-26-12, 02:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Yup, find the leak ASAP. If it runs dry you'll have more $ issues to contend with.
Old 08-26-12, 02:42 PM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The A/C system is a closed system, just as the brake system is. Niether one should need filled for the life of the car. It sounds like you have a small leak in the system somewhere. Could be something as simple as an o/ring on one of the lines. I would get it checked out. The worst part is that contaminates can get into the system and create havoc.
Old 08-26-12, 06:41 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm with the guys on this one,if you let go too low you're gonna run into a lot more problems.
Old 08-26-12, 08:34 PM
Stu
Racer

I'm glad I asked. It's unanimous ..... I won't wait, I'll get it fixed now. Thanks !

: - )
Old 08-27-12, 08:55 AM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

From all my research and intercations with AC techs, if it is a little low and still pushing cold, it should be OK. Although it is a closed system, it is normal for air to get past the many seals in the system over time, especially if it is not run frequently which helps circulate oil to the seals and hence helps keep it sealed.

I had to do my 2005 LS for a similar issue (although I was having a water running under the dash sound)... all it needed was an recovery/evac/leak test/refill and it is so cold now it hurts my sinuses and I have to set internal temp to like 71 degrees and point vents away from my face... thaht's my kind of A/C problem, hell yeah!

On my other car, a 2004 with way low miles, it was not blowing cold enough to battle the Memphis heat. It calls for 2lbs of refridgerant, but only .9 were recovered! Now THAT is LOW! He said besides running constantly, it would be fine... leak test on the machine showed no leaks supporting his asertion. Now she is cold like an icebox too!

Just to make you jealous... cost = 2 cases of beer (1 per car) thanks to my buddy in the biz!
Old 08-27-12, 12:07 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by Viper6
From all my research and intercations with AC techs, if it is a little low and still pushing cold, it should be OK. Although it is a closed system, it is normal for air to get past the many seals in the system over time, especially if it is not run frequently which helps circulate oil to the seals and hence helps keep it sealed. ...
Actually, I was expecting this answer, ... but clearly you are in the minority here.

I will probably get it tested and repaired before the winter, because my A/C service experience here in Toronto has been so poor I am afraid to do anything that may make this more difficult to repair.

It's always best having connections in the repair industry, sadly I don't - so I expect this to be both difficult to get properly diagnosed ( like it has been in the past on other cars ) and expensive to fix.