VIP Modular VR01's on my new toy

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-12, 04:45 PM
Selah777
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eggtart
Thanks for the kind words guys...

I have some Megan Racing Adjustable LCAs coming in tomorrow. I want to bring the camber in 1 more degree, should net me about 2-3mm clearance at the top of the wheel, so then I can roll lower in the rear. Right now the camber is natural with the factory non-adjustable LCA.

I was rubbing at the 9oclock position, rubbing the plastic side skirt and some of the lip. Had to shave/cut that portion. The rest of the lip is just rolled.
LCA's won't net you any clearance up top, I maxed mine out at around -14/15 just to see if i would gain any clearance and I didnt. Buy they megan traction arms, that will prevent you from rubbing where you are, because it will center up your wheel in your arch again.
Old 08-27-12, 08:46 PM
BigBoi94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great looking wheels!
Old 08-28-12, 08:53 AM
eggtart
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Selah777
LCA's won't net you any clearance up top, I maxed mine out at around -14/15 just to see if i would gain any clearance and I didnt. Buy they megan traction arms, that will prevent you from rubbing where you are, because it will center up your wheel in your arch again.
Thanks for the tip I'll look into the traction rods. I noticed that the wheel was not centered in the wheel well in STOCK form, now with the lowering and bigger wheels, it's even worse!

Why wouldnt the LCAs get me clearance up top though? By lengthening the LCA a bit, the bottom of the wheel will come out, forcing the top of the wheel to come in. This will increase the gap between the top of the wheel and the quarter panel. The way the geometry works does not allow for any other scenario. I suspect your setup is much more aggressive than mine? more poke? my rears are a low 20's offset.

Right now I can clear the tires under suspension compression. But it's the rim itself I'm worried about. 2 people in the back and a dip on the freeway a nd Im sure my rim would kiss the quarter panel. With the additional 1-2degree of camber my rim should slide right up insde the quarter panel without touching.....
Old 08-28-12, 08:55 AM
eggtart
Driver

Default very minor poke

very minor poke
Attached Thumbnails VIP Modular VR01's on my new toy-img_20120822_201942.jpg  
Old 08-30-12, 02:05 PM
DPK*David
Pole Position

Ride looks great man! Just to clarify you just went at the rear 1/4 with a roller? No cutting first? Reason I ask is because some people on here say the rear will split and I am looking to roll my fenders and 1/4's but the guy I trust only rolls he does not cut.
Old 08-30-12, 02:38 PM
VIPDrizzy
Driver

The car looks great but i have 2 questions. What are your offsets and how much lower can you get on those coilovers???
Old 08-30-12, 03:14 PM
anthony430
Rookie

Looks hot, can't wait to see it after more mods.
Old 09-04-12, 02:46 PM
eggtart
Driver

Originally Posted by DPK*David
Ride looks great man! Just to clarify you just went at the rear 1/4 with a roller? No cutting first? Reason I ask is because some people on here say the rear will split and I am looking to roll my fenders and 1/4's but the guy I trust only rolls he does not cut.
sorry for the late reply, havent checked in on the thread in a while

I did not cut/shave the lip in the 1/4 panel. I used the roller tool only. Be VERY careful at the square cutouts in the lip. The stresses caused by bending the lip go round the cutouts and end up going into the quarter panel itself, you will end up with two dimples in the 1/4 right where the cutouts are if you arent careful. I saw it happening as I was rolling, and was able to catch it in time.

You can cut/shave it. That will garuntee no dimples in your 1/4 and more clearance than if you had just rolled. BUT the welds holding the 1/4 to the wheel well will be gone, and you may end up with something worse than a few dimples down the road
Old 09-04-12, 02:57 PM
eggtart
Driver

Originally Posted by VIPDrizzy
The car looks great but i have 2 questions. What are your offsets and how much lower can you get on those coilovers???
Fronts can go another 1.5" lower. I would rub for sure when i turn if I put it that low though.

Rears can go a little over 2" lower. Tucking all tire and tiny bit of rim.

offsets mid 20s in rear and high teens in the front
Old 09-04-12, 04:54 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eggtart
You can cut/shave it. That will garuntee no dimples in your 1/4 and more clearance than if you had just rolled. BUT the welds holding the 1/4 to the wheel well will be gone, and you may end up with something worse than a few dimples down the road
I did a ton of research before I cut mine...I couldn't find one bad story of cutting the quarters and having them separate. Worst case was a tiny bit of rust if left unpainted and in winter/wet climates.

I have rolled many many cars, and now after shaving only one set of quarters, I will always shave if possible. Not only was it easier, it gave me more clearance and has a perfect finish on it....no unwanted pull/bends/crimps etc you can get on some cars that have very weak fender spots

But I am glad the roll worked out for you! The fitment looks great
Old 09-04-12, 08:34 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by C8V6C
I did a ton of research before I cut mine...I couldn't find one bad story of cutting the quarters and having them separate. Worst case was a tiny bit of rust if left unpainted and in winter/wet climates.

I have rolled many many cars, and now after shaving only one set of quarters, I will always shave if possible. Not only was it easier, it gave me more clearance and has a perfect finish on it....no unwanted pull/bends/crimps etc you can get on some cars that have very weak fender spots

But I am glad the roll worked out for you! The fitment looks great
I shaved the fenders on my gs. They were fine when i put the car on a transporter in socal. Received the car in Louisiana and noticed a very small buckle in the rear driver's side fender. It separated and no shops around me wanted to touch it. I ended up repairing it myself by splitting the fender completely and re-glued it with 3m sealer sealer. It is similar to what toyota uses from the factory to glue the panels together. The other side hasn't split. Anyway, hopefully no more problems, it's only been a week since I fixed it. At least it's made it through a hurricane so far.
Old 09-05-12, 12:02 PM
GRAVITY34
Pole Position

Love modular wheels. Very NICE!
Old 09-06-12, 09:00 PM
DRAG2GS300
Lead Lap

nice start.......
Old 09-07-12, 02:22 PM
Lexus0ne
Driver School Candidate

Gorgeous car clean and simple is always a win.