LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Coilovers or Stock Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 11:07 AM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Coilovers or Stock Suspension?

Hey everyone. I am planning on changing out my air suspension and going to a conventional suspension. My mechanic told me he can replace the system with stock Lexus parts and an alignment for $1500 out the door. I am also considering doing Megan coil overs just for the price (around 800). I have done a ton of research here on the forum but had some questions. I want my car to have a stock height, I don't care about lowering it btw.

Will i get a good (near stock) ride on coil overs?
Can coil overs be installed easily?
What would you choose, stock or coil overs?

Thanks!
Old 08-22-12, 12:25 PM
VIPDrizzy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No your ride won't be close to stock its a coilover you have done the research so you know how easy it is to install, as well as u know coilovers are stiffer because they bring the car lower and would need to be stiffer to do so. But assuming you didn't actually do any research the spring rates on coilovers are usually stiffer than stock if you have a non ul putting them in is the same as putting in stock. If your trying to save a buck u can get ur car rolling for less on Megan but it wouldn't be as comfortable. I believe the tein cs is the softest so far non air but If u just buy stock you know what your getting and well simply put if u don't care about lowering ur car why even consider taking the short cut to save a few greebbacks, again assuming u have done the research and in fact know what your getting and from both items and why you would pick one over the other the choice should be simple.

Last edited by VIPDrizzy; 08-22-12 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-22-12, 01:53 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Sorry need to clarify. I am going to a Lexus sport suspension and ditching the air all together.
Old 08-22-12, 02:12 PM
VIPDrizzy
Driver

Not much will compare to your factory air but again given you have done the research im just telling you something you alrdy know. Your trying to get the best stock ride out of your car buy stock if you do anything else expect a change not to say your sport suspension will feel like your air but its the closet thing you can get if you don't want the regular suspension.
Old 08-22-12, 02:59 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

My air ride is pretty crappy right now because of the age so hopefully something newer will help.
Old 08-22-12, 06:20 PM
VIPDrizzy
Driver

Is it to bouncy for you? The factory air is a smooth ride unless its faulty. I would find out what it cost to replace your air with factory parts or find a stock non sport suspension thats a good price so you can retain some comfort, other wise your going to end up in a car that sits high (prob not as high as stock) rides rough and is pointless most ppl give up the quality of the ride to look good but as you stated before your goal is not to lower your car.....given that info id invest in a stock non sport or find out what it will cost to get factory air back up to par.
Old 08-23-12, 01:14 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BC racing Coilovers + the optional Swift Spring upgrade through us = Awesome ride on the street with a fully adjustable coilover kit.

hit us up if you want some more help or Info