LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Steering wheel clear cracked

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-17, 04:14 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I noticed it too, but I think it gives it character, like on a vintage guitar. After all, it's still smooth.... my .02
Sorry, John... Could not disagree more. As a guitar player, the last place I want cracks and a "Distressed feel" is on the neck.. Where your hands are continually touching and moving/sliding around.
If it was a piece of trim on the door, I could see your point. Yes, there is a measure of character with an older ES-335 or an early Strat with a few cracks or wear in the finish, but never on the neck. Never..

That being said, my steering wheel has cracks that I can feel and it is bothersome. For the few hundred dollars it may cost to have it fixed and looking good again, I will gladly pay.
Old 01-20-17, 04:19 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Do it yourself without removing the wheel. Start by using the finest steel wool possible and polish the wheel to remove dirt, etc. Purchase a can of Tung Oil. Apply a light coat with a brush or fine gauze. You can tape the leather at the wood joint if you feel more comfortable to keep the tung oil off the leather (I didn't find that to be necessary). Let it dry for a few hours or overnight. Then polish the wheel with the steel wool lightly just to smooth any slight inperfections, which you can feel by just rubbing your hand over the wheel. Continue this process for a few time or until you are happy with the results. You can still see the slight cracks, but the wheel will be smooth and the cracks filled.

I've suggested this before, but it seems that it always gets ignored. Wood workers should agree with me. Try it, it won't hurt anything and will look good again.
Thanks Jay; This I would be willing to try. Not too invasive and seems easy enough to do without compromising the finish. And, if I don't like it, I can still pull the wheel and send it off.
With the weather being agreeable right now, I think I'll give this a try on my next set of off days.
Old 01-20-17, 05:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Sorry, John... Could not disagree more. As a guitar player, the last place I want cracks and a "Distressed feel" is on the neck.. Where your hands are continually touching and moving/sliding around.
If it was a piece of trim on the door, I could see your point. Yes, there is a measure of character with an older ES-335 or an early Strat with a few cracks or wear in the finish, but never on the neck. Never..

That being said, my steering wheel has cracks that I can feel and it is bothersome. For the few hundred dollars it may cost to have it fixed and looking good again, I will gladly pay.
I guess I'm referring to the guitar body, not the neck. As you know, some things actually go up in value over time, especially when they are kept in a realistic, rather than perfect, condition. My dad bought me a HP calculator the weekend before I started college, for $80 ($184 in 2016 dollars). Now, on eBay, people are asking sometimes $500 for it.

My wheel is clearly cracked, but they are not on the surface, so I like it the way it is, it's an 11 y.o. car....definitely not show quality, but imho above average condition. Now, the left side vinyl tape being distorted, that's something I would fix if it were feasible, but not the steering wheel...just me. But I think the difference here is that you feel the cracks...I hope this doesn't mean that I will also feel them in a couple of years!
Old 01-21-17, 06:14 AM
robish4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it yourself without removing the wheel. Start by using the finest steel wool possible and polish the wheel to remove dirt, etc. Purchase a can of Tung Oil. Apply a light coat with a brush or fine gauze. You can tape the leather at the wood joint if you feel more comfortable to keep the tung oil off the leather (I didn't find that to be necessary). Let it dry for a few hours or overnight. Then polish the wheel with the steel wool lightly just to smooth any slight inperfections, which you can feel by just rubbing your hand over the wheel. Continue this process for a few time or until you are happy with the results. You can still see the slight cracks, but the wheel will be smooth and the cracks filled.

I've suggested this before, but it seems that it always gets ignored. Wood workers should agree with me. Try it, it won't hurt anything and will look good again.
My steering wheel had several cracks when I purchased it last spring. Luckily, they are smooth, but they don't look good to me. I purchased a leather wheel cover I've been using since the temperatures have dropped. I can't wait to try this method for restoration. It will be much cheaper than the $350 I was quoted by a local auto shop.
Old 01-21-17, 10:25 AM
2KHarrier

I did hear back from Craft Customs and the quote was needless to say expensive.

325.00!!

So, after work today I'm buying a can of Tung oil and some VF steel wool.

I'll document the process and post some pictures when I'm done.
Old 01-21-17, 04:11 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

P.S. I forgot to include the warning not to use alcohol to clean the wheel before applying Tung Oil. Alcohol should never be used inside the LS430. It will take the finish off many surfaces. I learned the hard way, dropping a single drop on the sliding panel on the gear shift panel that has the gear markings. It instantly turned the gray into nearly white. Looked horrible, consequently I had to replace it. I've decided that alcohol is only to be used on the human body, both internally and externally!
Old 01-21-17, 08:31 PM
2KHarrier

I picked up a QT of Minwax Tung Oil and a package of Very Fine steel wool (0000). Total investment so far 12.59
First thing tomorrow AM, gettin busy...
Old 01-23-17, 07:05 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up a QT of Minwax Tung Oil and a package of Very Fine steel wool (0000). Total investment so far 12.59
First thing tomorrow AM, gettin busy...
Be sure to take some pics and post.
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (01-27-17)
Old 01-24-17, 05:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

P.S. I forgot to include the warning not to use alcohol to clean the wheel before applying Tung Oil. Alcohol should never be used inside the LS430. It will take the finish off many surfaces. I learned the hard way, dropping a single drop on the sliding panel on the gear shift panel that has the gear markings. It instantly turned the gray into nearly white. Looked horrible, consequently I had to replace it. I've decided that alcohol is only to be used on the human body, both internally and externally!
This reminds me of when I was probably in 3rd grade, I had this cool display from the mint my parents got me of a silver dollar, half dollar, and wooden nickel (that was a joke).....I thought I'd really clean this thing up good, and got out some rubbing alcohol and started wiping the plastic case. You guessed it....but as an 8 y.o., it was horrifying.....my parents bought me a new one....you know, I'm gonna send them an email thanking them for that. Amazing what the mind retains inside, most of it stays stored and only comes out when something jogs it....
Old 01-24-17, 04:51 PM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by hyperopt
Be sure to take some pics and post.
Will do. I had planned on doing them Sunday morning, but time got away from me. We'll see what the next few days bring... (fingers crossed)
Old 01-26-17, 11:35 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine has this issue as well, personally, I would recommend leaving well enough alone as I could see doing more damage trying to fix it.
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (06-20-23)
Old 01-26-17, 04:48 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Coulter
Mine has this issue as well, personally, I would recommend leaving well enough alone as I could see doing more damage trying to fix it.

How can you recommend against a process that you obviously have no knowledge about just because you "could see" more damage? Strange advise with no justification.
Old 01-27-17, 04:51 AM
2KHarrier

How can you recommend against a process that you obviously have no knowledge about just because you "could see" more damage? Strange advise with no justification.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I've never been one to leave things "well enough alone". Just ask my dear, patient wife...
Old 01-27-17, 08:53 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Probably because you mentioned in this very thread you screwed up and caused further damage to your interior.

​​​​​​​
Old 01-27-17, 08:15 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Will do. I had planned on doing them Sunday morning, but time got away from me. We'll see what the next few days bring... (fingers crossed)
Looking forward to the pics before and after... My wheel is a mess now after 240K on the car, and if there is a very reasonable price($12.50 as you said is VERY reasonable) to make it look 20-50% better, I am very interested... Crossing fingers as well that you get a good result !

Quick Reply: Steering wheel clear cracked