LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

'Fixed' Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-12, 10:23 PM
akinsm
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 'Fixed' Mirrors

After reviewing many postings, I would like to share my ‘fix’ for the over-rotation mirror issue common to my 2004 LS430. Both of my mirrors constantly opened all the way. Although my research took many hours, any mechanically inclined DIYer could make this repair in 15 minutes per mirror.

In summary, if you want fixed mirrors then remove the bottom mirror trim piece, cut the green wire and insert a screw. Just think “Snap, Snip, and Screw”.

The long version.

Givens based on everything I’ve read and discussed with the dealership:
  • This is happening more frequently as described by this Service Bulletin EL0004-05
  • I was well past my extended warranty which I assume applies to everyone reading this post
  • Lexus doesn’t repair mirrors
  • I did not want to disassemble the mirror assembly
  • Both of my mirrors are dysfunctional, so I really didn’t want to spend $1500
  • Used mirrors on Ebay, etc would eventually exhibit the same issue
  • I don’t need the auto-folding feature and would be happy with ‘fixed’ mirrors
  • Worst case, I buy two new mirrors
  • Luckily I kept a previously broken LH mirror for practice and close-ups
  • As a previous GM door Engineer, I was going to find a solution
1st, I tried the easiest solution (silicone lubricant), but didn’t work.

2nd, I tried unplugging the switch connector, but the mirrors still rotated when I started the car, as mikej65 explains. Now I couldn’t operate them.

3rd, I decided to follow mikej65’s instructions and cut the power. I removed the RH door trim panel, found the green wire and cut it per photo #1. I reattached the trim panel and confirmed that my mirror housing would not rotate after restarting the car. I also confirmed that all other power movements still worked properly, including reverse tilt down.

4th, I noticed that my suddenly flaccid mirror wouldn’t find a natural stop/detent to hold while driving, so I started playing with my old broken mirror. I decided to run a screw up into the mechanism to prevent any rotation. Good thing I didn’t have to worry about voiding a warranty.
Looking at the mirror from above (photo #2), I found the trim piece corner denoted with a circle. I forcefully pushed down/in to remove it. The longest barb (photo #3) broke off on both attempts. I tried gluing them back on but to no avail.

5th, much to my surprise, once I removed the trim piece, I could easily see the wire bundle. Practicing again on my scrap mirror, I sliced open the sleeve and fished for the green wire (photo #4). Since I had to open this area anyway to insert a screw, I decided that this method was much smarter to access/cut the green wire than removing the door trim panel.

6th, I decided to drill a 1/8” hole and insert a 1” galvanized screw near the light lens (photo #4). I had to apply more drilling force than expected due to a metal layer. Also, make sure that the screw head is small enough to fit past the trim flange. My reasons for this location were threefold, 1) the mirror had a nice cylindrical target, 2) it was furthest away from the door sheet metal to facilitate a drill, and 3) it was the furthest away from the pivot point to stop mirror rotation under wind force.

7th, I shaved off the nub (photo #5) that used my screw location and snapped it back into place without the broken barb.

I still love this ‘fix’ after a week of driving. I hope it helps someone because this took a while to document.
Attached Thumbnails 'Fixed' Mirrors-ls430-1.jpg   'Fixed' Mirrors-ls430-2.jpg   'Fixed' Mirrors-ls430-3.jpg   'Fixed' Mirrors-ls430-4.jpg   'Fixed' Mirrors-ls430-5.jpg  

The following 4 users liked this post by akinsm:
BuddyWeh (10-30-19), Diplocar (11-11-19), Reyes (03-27-17), Spyder58 (04-18-19)
Old 08-13-12, 12:25 AM
jstrummer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have the issue you addressed, but I'm always grateful when people take the time to document their fixes and DIYs.

Thank you for your write-up. I appreciate it.
The following users liked this post:
Spyder58 (04-18-19)
Old 08-13-12, 09:46 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, akinsm.
I suspect that there are two categories of LS430 owners:
1. Those that have this problem.
2. Those that will have this problem (if they keep their cars long enough).
Your great effort goes in my "keep" file. Good work!
Old 09-26-12, 09:09 AM
freemurray
Driver School Candidate

both of my mirrors wont work at all....they just flop around!! I wonder should I do this or repair....you cant just purchase like a motor or something? thank you for the write up its greAt
Old 10-13-12, 02:17 AM
stemirra
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Here is a different fix for the over rotation mirror issue

Hi,

Here is a different fix for this over rotation of the outside side view rear view mirror issue. This one is easier, will make it look and work like new. It solves the same problem another way with much less butchery. I am" very" surprised that this fix has not gotten more attention on this form due to it's frequency of occurrence, outcome, ease or repair and cost.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-05-cents.html
Old 10-15-12, 07:05 AM
freemurray
Driver School Candidate

Thank you..... Looks like a fix that works and the mirrors still function like they are suppose to .....thanks again
Old 10-20-12, 08:39 PM
stemirra
Rookie

Freemurray please advise how the 5 cent fix works when you complete it. Thanks

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 06-17-13, 04:44 PM
karasdad
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Akinsm, thanks for the great job of describing the fix and the pics. I have the exact same problem with my 2004 LS430 driver mirror, drove me crazy to have to reach out the window and pull the mirror back into position each time I started, regardless of whether or not the folding switch was on or off. My mechanic messed with it for a long time but couldn't fix it so he disconnected the fold motor power. Mirror still adjusts but it slightly loosy goosey and gets knocked out of position when my kids hit it in the garage. The wind doesn't seem to bother it however. I did find some on eBay, incl one in my color so I think I am going to buy it and see how long it lasts. It amazes me that such a weak link can be in production so long.
Old 06-17-13, 04:47 PM
karasdad
Rookie

BTW, I had used a 8 inch plastic tie wrap and secured the mirror to the base and kept it from rotating out 180 degrees and it worked for several months until my mechanic fixed it. It wasn't as obvious as you might think and nobody ever noticed it and you can't see it from the driver's position.
Old 06-17-13, 05:27 PM
amillion
Driver School Candidate

Awesome! Now if i can get a fix for the mirror's memory position issue.

Originally Posted by akinsm
After reviewing many postings, I would like to share my ‘fix’ for the over-rotation mirror issue common to my 2004 LS430. Both of my mirrors constantly opened all the way. Although my research took many hours, any mechanically inclined DIYer could make this repair in 15 minutes per mirror.

In summary, if you want fixed mirrors then remove the bottom mirror trim piece, cut the green wire and insert a screw. Just think “Snap, Snip, and Screw”.

The long version.

Givens based on everything I’ve read and discussed with the dealership:
  • This is happening more frequently as described by this Service Bulletin EL0004-05
  • I was well past my extended warranty which I assume applies to everyone reading this post
  • Lexus doesn’t repair mirrors
  • I did not want to disassemble the mirror assembly
  • Both of my mirrors are dysfunctional, so I really didn’t want to spend $1500
  • Used mirrors on Ebay, etc would eventually exhibit the same issue
  • I don’t need the auto-folding feature and would be happy with ‘fixed’ mirrors
  • Worst case, I buy two new mirrors
  • Luckily I kept a previously broken LH mirror for practice and close-ups
  • As a previous GM door Engineer, I was going to find a solution
1st, I tried the easiest solution (silicone lubricant), but didn’t work.

2nd, I tried unplugging the switch connector, but the mirrors still rotated when I started the car, as mikej65 explains. Now I couldn’t operate them.

3rd, I decided to follow mikej65’s instructions and cut the power. I removed the RH door trim panel, found the green wire and cut it per photo #1. I reattached the trim panel and confirmed that my mirror housing would not rotate after restarting the car. I also confirmed that all other power movements still worked properly, including reverse tilt down.

4th, I noticed that my suddenly flaccid mirror wouldn’t find a natural stop/detent to hold while driving, so I started playing with my old broken mirror. I decided to run a screw up into the mechanism to prevent any rotation. Good thing I didn’t have to worry about voiding a warranty.
Looking at the mirror from above (photo #2), I found the trim piece corner denoted with a circle. I forcefully pushed down/in to remove it. The longest barb (photo #3) broke off on both attempts. I tried gluing them back on but to no avail.

5th, much to my surprise, once I removed the trim piece, I could easily see the wire bundle. Practicing again on my scrap mirror, I sliced open the sleeve and fished for the green wire (photo #4). Since I had to open this area anyway to insert a screw, I decided that this method was much smarter to access/cut the green wire than removing the door trim panel.

6th, I decided to drill a 1/8” hole and insert a 1” galvanized screw near the light lens (photo #4). I had to apply more drilling force than expected due to a metal layer. Also, make sure that the screw head is small enough to fit past the trim flange. My reasons for this location were threefold, 1) the mirror had a nice cylindrical target, 2) it was furthest away from the door sheet metal to facilitate a drill, and 3) it was the furthest away from the pivot point to stop mirror rotation under wind force.

7th, I shaved off the nub (photo #5) that used my screw location and snapped it back into place without the broken barb.

I still love this ‘fix’ after a week of driving. I hope it helps someone because this took a while to document.
Old 06-24-13, 06:36 AM
akinsm
Driver School Candidate

karasdad, glad to hear this solved your problem too. The cut green wire stopped the rotation, and all my other functions still work after nearly a year. I chose the screw in step #6 to fixate mirror but sounds like a zip-tie worked for you. I didn't want to purchase another mirror because I assumed it would eventually fail.
Old 07-06-13, 06:27 PM
drumscaleb
Driver School Candidate

I have an 2001 LS430 that I realized last night I can rotate my passenger side mirror all the way around with an pressure. and that it flops up and down, as if there is a loose bolt... Will this fix the problem? Will this make the mirror locked in one position and never be able to rotate again...?
Old 07-08-13, 07:30 AM
akinsm
Driver School Candidate

drumscaleb, yes the screw in step #6 will stop rotation, but you should also cut the green power wire so the motor doesn't force it. I don't know about your flopping up/down issue.
Old 12-19-13, 07:43 PM
Cosmiccool
Driver School Candidate

Default LS 430 mirror issues

I have an 01 LS430 on which both mirrors no longer fold and were doing the flop. My solution was to use double sided tape to hold them in place. It has worked for over a year and a half through car washes and all sorts of weather. An inexpensive fix that saves time and labor. When installed right, it is not noticeable. if knocked loose, I just press down on the mirror until the tape sticks again.
Old 05-04-15, 03:50 PM
hlippy4
Rookie

Default Thank you so much..

My mirror issue started yesterday.... took 5 minutes to loosen the door panel...cut the green wire... taped it and now is fine.... don't care about the folding... Perfect fix and thanks so much for posting!!

Quick Reply: 'Fixed' Mirrors