LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Smartkey ignition issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-12, 07:18 PM
jwillis123
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smartkey ignition issue

Well here we go: I've bragged non stop about my "new" 2004 LS430 ML and I think I am having an issue with starting the car.

The smartkey doesnt always go into the ignition. I am pretty careful with my stuff and tonight I tried to jam the key in there with some above average force and no luck. Of course with every attempt the steering wheel is going up and down. It turns over just fine without the key. I use the key in the ignition usually just out of habit after driving non smartkey cars for 25 years.

Has anyone else seen this happen? Glad I bought the extended warranty... hope its covered...
Old 08-07-12, 03:10 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope the body of the key isn't damaged.

Based on what you describe, a very similar thing happened to me. I thought there was a problem until I realised that sometimes the steering wheel lock gets activated!

Next time it gets stuck try putting the key in the ignition (or just turn it without the key in the ignition, but still in range of the smart key system) then using one hand, slightly attempt to turn the steering steering wheel a little bit. This alleviates the pressure on the ignition barrel and then the steering wheel will then unlock and allow you to turn the key and start the car.

This is what happened to me, so hopefully it's the same issue. Good luck.

Last edited by LEX ES300; 08-07-12 at 03:13 AM.
Old 08-07-12, 07:36 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Just leave the dam key in your pocket. In no time you will forget it's even there.
Old 08-07-12, 07:50 AM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

i dont believe i have ever used the key yet?
Old 08-07-12, 08:08 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I have never used the key either. Can't think of any reason to use the key. The service guys have used the key a few times when its being serviced so I know it works. I am way too lazy to not use such a wonderful feature.
Old 08-09-12, 08:46 PM
jwillis123
Pit Crew

Hey guys sorry for the delayed response and thanks for the feedback. The key still doesn't work but I forget about it as soon as I'm gliding down the road in the sweetest used car I've ever owned. We'll see if the warranty covers it on the next oil change.
Old 08-09-12, 10:04 PM
jwillis123
Pit Crew

got it figured out!

so here's the deal...IF I open the car with the smartkey system i.e., placing my hand in the door handle, waiting half a second for the car to unlock the door for me; the key will NOT work in the ignition and to stay consistent with the way the car was opened, it wants me to just turn the ignition without the key...

IF I unlock the car with the unlock button on the key and get in then no problem the key goes in the ignition and turns over no problem!

Tested this back and forth and 99.99% confident that this is the way it works!

Now that I have the warm and fuzzy feeling again that nothing is broken I will probably be like you guys and just keep the key in my pocket
Old 08-10-12, 06:38 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Why would anyone fish around in their pocket to find and use a key with a button to unlock the doors when you can just grab the door handle and it unlocks automatically?
Old 08-10-12, 07:08 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jwillis123
..IF I open the car with the smartkey system i.e., placing my hand in the door handle, waiting half a second for the car to unlock the door for me; the key will NOT work in the ignition and to stay consistent with the way the car was opened, it wants me to just turn the ignition without the key...

IF I unlock the car with the unlock button on the key and get in then no problem the key goes in the ignition and turns over no problem!

I'm that 0.01% then because my key inserts and starts the car no matter if I use the key or smart access to enter the car. I would think key should insert noatter what is correct because what if by some fluke chance you can open with handle but your battery power is just low enough where the system doesn't detect the key? So you can't start it? Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 08-10-12, 07:10 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

got it figured out!

so here's the deal...IF I open the car with the smartkey system i.e., placing my hand in the door handle, waiting half a second for the car to unlock the door for me; the key will NOT work in the ignition and to stay consistent with the way the car was opened, it wants me to just turn the ignition without the key...

Now that I have the warm and fuzzy feeling again that nothing is broken I will probably be like you guys and just keep the key in my pocket
Very interesting info - thanks for sharing - I will have to check it out on my car to verify....a how the smart key behaves may be partially controlled by cbest settings (not sure on that) so there may be some variance.

The smartkey design and implementation in the LS430 is one of my favorite features on the LS - I love it. I really hate cars with a start button. A start button is a really bad, faddish idea that represents terrible ergonomic design and can be a genuine safety hazard under a variety of scenarios.

So the smart key concept with preservation of a multiple position ignition switch is perfect example of great technology implemented with smart ergonomic design.
Old 08-10-12, 07:28 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jabberwock

The smartkey design and implementation in the LS430 is one of my favorite features on the LS - I love it. I really hate cars with a start button. A start button is a really bad, faddish idea that represents terrible ergonomic design and can be a genuine safety hazard under a variety of scenarios..
I agree. Also, with this version, you don't have to step on the darn brakes, you can enter from passenger side and start engine to warm car in winter if you wanted to. And those runaway issues that Toyota had, the steps of holding 3sec to turn engine off is too long in an emergency.
Even Lexus has become slaves to the push start.
Old 08-10-12, 11:19 AM
jwillis123
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Why would anyone fish around in their pocket to find and use a key with a button to unlock the doors when you can just grab the door handle and it unlocks automatically?
Just habit...I've been in the smartkey world for only six weeks
Old 08-10-12, 02:59 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Just habit...I've been in the smartkey world for only six weeks
What's worse is when you get use to using the smart key, you'll start breaking off door handles off regular cars... yanking them with all your might and being surprised why it's not opening.
Old 08-10-12, 07:30 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

OK...so here's the deal. The smart key must be programmed to the smart access ecu and the steering lock ecu. if a dealership makes a duplicate key and forgets to program the key to the steering lock ECU, it will not work in the ignition. it happens all the time. the key should work in the ignition no matter how you unlock the car.
Old 08-11-12, 11:42 PM
jwillis123
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by diagtime
OK...so here's the deal. The smart key must be programmed to the smart access ecu and the steering lock ecu. if a dealership makes a duplicate key and forgets to program the key to the steering lock ECU, it will not work in the ignition. it happens all the time. the key should work in the ignition no matter how you unlock the car.
I stand corrected AGAIN: I thought I had this figured out; however, the key didnt work again today. Something is not right so I'm cool with just remembering to go keyless from now on and have the dealer check it out on the next oil change.

No big deal but I jumped the gun with my post from the other night...

Quick Reply: Smartkey ignition issue