LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Will you ever drive anything else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 07:40 PM
DSFBLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will you ever drive anything else?

So i know that i maybe getting ahead of myself, as i just purchased my 06LS less than a week ago; but i absolutely love driving this big-bodied Lexus. Will i ever be happy again driving anything else other than a top-of-the-line flagship automobile? Growing up in a very middleclass family-all i ever thought i needed was a big chevy on some nice wheels, but now ive got all these features that, if we r honest dont really need(e.g. Heated/Cooled seats) Am i spoiled/ruined for life???
Old 07-10-12, 08:05 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes you are
When my friends ride in my car they forget about their new altimas, maximas and infinities. I get compliments on the car all the time. I am a proud owner of an arguably the best car there is.
Old 07-11-12, 05:49 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I also drive my mom's old 99 Saturn SL2 and an 03 Honda Accord. The Accord got totalled in a recent hailstorm though so I've only driven it twice since then.

It's hard for me to go from driving my SC or the LS to driving my step-dad's GX though. It's a nice car and all, but it sure is boring. I plan on getting a Mercedes or an NSX next. I can't see myself going back to plain cars like Accords or Camry unless it's for work.
Old 07-11-12, 06:52 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Next car will likely be a used 2013 or 2014 GS350...probably in 3-4 years time. At that point we won't need a large sedan like the LS anymore. I will likely stick with Lexus from this point on. It is very easy to get hooked on the excellent reliability and thoughtful engineering that goes into these cars.
Old 07-11-12, 06:59 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm more hooked on the reliability and overall feeling of quality of Toyota / Lexus products than the luxury appointments. While I enjoy my Lexus products, I'm also satisfied with my Prius.
Old 07-11-12, 07:16 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I'm more hooked on the reliability and overall feeling of quality of Toyota / Lexus products than the luxury appointments. While I enjoy my Lexus products, I'm also satisfied with my Prius.
same here.i drive my 06 lexus and my 86 mr2 and a 01 tacoma.all run and drive as new with just simple upkeep.
Old 07-11-12, 09:36 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DSFBLEXUS
So i know that i maybe getting ahead of myself, as i just purchased my 06LS less than a week ago; but i absolutely love driving this big-bodied Lexus. Will i ever be happy again driving anything else other than a top-of-the-line flagship automobile? Growing up in a very middleclass family-all i ever thought i needed was a big chevy on some nice wheels, but now ive got all these features that, if we r honest dont really need(e.g. Heated/Cooled seats) Am i spoiled/ruined for life???
Yes you are spoiled/ruined for life, the LS430 is so amazing that even some older Bentley feels inferior to me.

The fact that the LS460 is not as good is a huge problem, hopefully the next LS will be a huge improvement, which I think it will.
Old 07-11-12, 10:42 AM
Dailow
Driver School Candidate

While I do have little nitpicks about the car, the day I stop driving my LS will be the day I grow tired of the boring drive (not too likely) or the day it gets written off in an accident (more likely). Once you've owned/driven a luxury vehicle, it's hard to go back to a vanilla model like a Corolla or Camry.

I'm really curious about those of you going to the new GS though. How does it compare to the LS430 in terms of features and luxury?
Old 07-11-12, 12:03 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dailow
While I do have little nitpicks about the car, the day I stop driving my LS will be the day I grow tired of the boring drive (not too likely) or the day it gets written off in an accident (more likely). Once you've owned/driven a luxury vehicle, it's hard to go back to a vanilla model like a Corolla or Camry.
The LS430 is one very boring drive, but that's the point of it, I love it when I want a total serene drive like Monday and Tuesday to work. But as it get near to the weekend and on the weekend, I must drive my SC430 for fun.

Compare to a vanilla Camry, the LS430 is like sitting on silk while the Camry is like sitting on sand paper.

Originally Posted by Dailow
I'm really curious about those of you going to the new GS though. How does it compare to the LS430 in terms of features and luxury?
The new GS or any GS in general, don't have the same serene feeling at all. The GS is like right in the middle, while the LS is totally serene and boring and the IS is totally sporty, the GS is right in the middle. It is a little sporty while still retain most of the comfort. It is a good compromise if you can only have one car.
Old 07-11-12, 01:41 PM
Mr.Doback
Driver

Definitely enjoy the comfort and quiet of the car, definitely agree that one needs a weekend car to break up the monotony.

I am deciding whether to keep the Ls or move back to a sports car.
Old 07-11-12, 02:07 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr.Doback
Definitely enjoy the comfort and quiet of the car, definitely agree that one needs a weekend car to break up the monotony.

I am deciding whether to keep the Ls or move back to a sports car.
It depends on the age, during my teens and in my 20s, I can drive a sports car every day.

Now that I am in my 30s, it is unbearable to drive a sports car daily anymore, on the rough beginning of the week going to work when I am a zombie, the only car I want to be in is my LS430.

As it get near Thursday and Friday and on the weekend, I start to gain more energy and happiness, so the LS430 start to be boring and I must switch to the sporty car.

Like how I am planning on switching to my SC430 tomorrow.

It is braggy to say since 2 cars is double the cost, but that's the reality. For an older car enthusiast, 2 cars is absolutely necessary. Of course more is always better, every car serve a different purpose.

Like how in an ideal world, every man needs a wife and a few mistresses, they serve different purposes
Old 07-11-12, 03:05 PM
sajack
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

My LS is the perfect companion to my Mazda Miata. I'm nuts about the LS after taking my first road trip in it today. I visited the nearest Lexus dealer 100 miles away and got a new timing belt. They gave me a 2012. ES350 loaner car. The ES feels like a POS compared to the LS, especially the herky jerky feel of wrong wheel drive versus RWD.
Another thing I love about the LS430 is the low window sill height, no gun- slit windows and great visibility at the quarters too. This car should become a classic.
Old 07-12-12, 07:36 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The car is the most comfortable and enjoyable car I've ever driven. I've only had it for a few months and every time I get in it I'm happy to be driving it. After my recent 15 hour non stop drive from Florida to the Chicagoland area I jumped in the car the next morning for a two hour round trip to run an errand without hesitation.

When it comes time to sell this one (well after 200K) I will by another one (maybe 2004-2006). I love the fact that I paid cash for my car ($11,000), have no car payments and its better than most new cars on the market that people are in debt 5 years on. Sure it's lacking some of the modern technology but Lexus was so far ahead of the pack that my 2002 has plenty of technology and amenities and they all still work!
Old 07-12-12, 09:51 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For us, the best (comfort, reliability, luxury) car we've ever owned and probably will (except for another LS in future). I've loved the LS since it's introduction, but I was just a snot nosed high school student back then and couldn't afford it of course. Then through the years as I got up in age, so did the price of the LS. Slowly, it alluded me year after year while I continued to love it. At some point, I just never considered it anymore when car shopping came along because it never quite "fit the budget"... until 2008 when quietly at a Lexus dealer it was pointed out to us how affordable a CPO LS430 was. End of story after that.. I've been united with my dream car since.

It was tough at first to get the CFO to go for an LS over say an Accord, but my wife has said many times now, she can't see driving anything but a LS now. Of course it will be a pre-owned LS, but we're fine with the first owners taking the depreciation hits. Since we're going to drive the 430 to the ground (which might take quite a few years/decades), we don't foresee getting a 460 or possibly even the 5th gen LS, but we will definitely replace the 430 with another LS... in 2030
Old 07-13-12, 01:22 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I think I am spoiled and will need luxury or super luxury auto when mine is spent. It does nave 172k and has gotten softer, what would you expect.

I am looking for a Toureg for the wife, cough cough, she wants to sit up high with 4wd and a Rav4 or Highlander or Venza are not super Luxury feeling to me(RX is OK I bet the 470 or 460 are pretty nice but gas "Babe's".

The Vr6 and TDI I drove I would take over my soft LS, certified under warrantee of course. The hybrid I am looking at is 0-60 in 6.2 and all of them are around 45 g's 12K miles heated steering wheel full options, slightly used redesigned in 011(a few quirks like non telescoping side west sun visors, adjustable headrests in the upper models only, I gotta figure out why they blow hot air so long on AC start up.

So yes they are out there but are gonna cost some dough and reliability will never be Lexus like unless it is a Japanese verus european product.

Quick Reply: Will you ever drive anything else?