LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Mark Levisnon Sub not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-12, 10:59 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No problem. I had all the same issues, so it's piece of cake for me. When I changed my sub second time it took me 30min to do everything.
You should be done in one, one and a half hour.
Old 07-13-12, 10:52 PM
tobe1424
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Taking apart the back deck wasn't all that crazy. Yet again, trying not to scratch or break anything was more stressful...

HELP!!

I now have the kicker comp 88 and can't seem to find that PERFECT fitment. It looks like I will have to shave down the old round speaker mounting holes(GREEN ARROWS/CIRCLE ON PIC 1) for the factory speaker to fit.. Maybe use a saw/dremel tool.

Once this smoothed out and the SUB is flushed with the diameter of the mount/ring, do I now have to drill(i.e.RED DOTS/MARKS ON PIC 1 in order for the speaker to be attached to the mount?

please advise if my theory/procedures are correct or if I am missing anything or need to buy another mount; in order to mount the sub to the factory holes that connect to the car (BLUE ARROW ON PIC 1)

T
Attached Thumbnails Mark Levisnon Sub not working-imag0557.jpg   Mark Levisnon Sub not working-imag0558.jpg  
Old 07-14-12, 03:32 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

You are on the right track. Shave off the "green marked" mounting holes (I used pliers to brake off pieces of plastic on each side of the hole), place your new sub in and use 1/2" screws in red marked holes to secure a sub. Try not to over tighten the screws that will hold sub.
Sorry I forgot those details it was so long ago when I did it.
Old 07-14-12, 10:34 AM
tobe1424
Rookie

I'm not sure if 1/2" screws will do the job. maybe 3/4...I just bought 1/2 screws and they are too short

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 07-14-12, 12:11 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

I have 1.5 and they are too long. 1" might be too long too because tightened all the way you might not get enough clearance to screw in 4 bolts that hold mount itself to rear deck. If you put a screw in one of the mounting holes of sub it should protrude more than 2/3 and it should be just right length to tightly screw in to the mount.
Old 07-16-12, 08:48 AM
tobe1424
Rookie

thanks again for your help. it has been very useful. FTW 3/4" supply the perfect fit. Any longer and you would protrude. Any shorter and it would be insufficient. I also added extra foam tape on top of what was already there from factory.

If you are not in a hurry, i would recommend to add silicone or apoxy in the canal where i marked the red dots. Let it dry and then drill so that the 3/4" screw thread will have more surface area to grab onto.
Old 07-16-12, 08:52 AM
tobe1424
Rookie

as i mentioned before..if you aren't in a hurry...unfortunately i was been rushed since I went on a road trip this weekend...so if you haven't guessed by now..I drop 2 out of the 4 sub mount bolts into the area right beneath the sub.

Would it be possible to get these bolts with a telescoping magnet? or would i have to take apart my trunk in order to get to these?

or am i SOL ?

T
Old 07-16-12, 08:55 AM
tobe1424
Rookie

BTW the speaker sounds great. But I only have 2 out of the 4 sub mounts bolts holding it down. It seems to be good enough. But it bothers me to know I lack 2 screws for the sub mount. Which can possibly cause a little rattle..maybe im just been dramatic
Old 07-16-12, 09:16 AM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tobe1424
BTW the speaker sounds great. But I only have 2 out of the 4 sub mounts bolts holding it down. It seems to be good enough. But it bothers me to know I lack 2 screws for the sub mount. Which can possibly cause a little rattle..maybe im just been dramatic
Well you would have a FIT in my car b/c I dont have any screws holding mine down (JL Audio 8W0 12 ohm), but it fits snug in the existing hole. It will be fne w/the 2 screws.
Old 07-16-12, 01:56 PM
tobe1424
Rookie

haha

well.. my kicker sounds good. But when you crank it up i hear a little crackling..maybe its the speaker cover on stop or may im just hearing things. I guess ill be ok.. thx again

But darn i am pissed that i dropped the bolts into the area below the sub :/
Old 08-11-12, 06:18 AM
darchard
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need clarification on the blown Mark Levinson sub woofer discussion. My sub is clearly blown and I took it to SoundFX yesterday to see how they could help. They told me they wouldn't touch it with an aftermarket sub because of a ML amp power to the sub issue. The guy said he could put in a sub but it would not sound right. He actually said it would sound horrible. To the guys that installed the kicker comp 88 sub. How does it sound?
Old 08-11-12, 07:17 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by darchard
I need clarification on the blown Mark Levinson sub woofer discussion. My sub is clearly blown and I took it to SoundFX yesterday to see how they could help. They told me they wouldn't touch it with an aftermarket sub because of a ML amp power to the sub issue. The guy said he could put in a sub but it would not sound right. He actually said it would sound horrible. To the guys that installed the kicker comp 88 sub. How does it sound?
The SoundFX dude is being silly. Subs produce a very small part of the audio spectrum that is mostly long waves that you feel as much as hear. The kicker is close enough to the ML sub in OHMS that it should sound fine if its installed securely.
Old 08-11-12, 08:41 AM
darchard
Driver

Thanks Jabberwock. I thought that sounded a funny. I appreciate your input.

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
The SoundFX dude is being silly. Subs produce a very small part of the audio spectrum that is mostly long waves that you feel as much as hear. The kicker is close enough to the ML sub in OHMS that it should sound fine if its installed securely.
Old 08-11-12, 10:58 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by darchard
I believe the guy at SoundFX was looking to cover his a... He's aware of the compatibility issue with the aftermarket subwoofer and the factory amp and understandably doesn't want the liability. It's best if you want to go that route, either do it yourself or have someone on the side do it for you.
Old 08-12-12, 06:30 AM
darchard
Driver

I would love to do it myself but I can only imagine my wife's commentary, and she is cool too. But most of my DIY projects don't go that well.

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I believe the guy at SoundFX was looking to cover his a... He's aware of the compatibility issue with the aftermarket subwoofer and the factory amp and understandably doesn't want the liability. It's best if you want to go that route, either do it yourself or have someone on the side do it for you.

Quick Reply: Mark Levisnon Sub not working