LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

06 LS on 20" Giovanna Meccas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-12, 03:00 PM
DSFBLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 LS on 20" Giovanna Meccas?

So I just purchased an 06 LS ML Blue/Ash w/ 64k miles, of course now I have some plans on some aftermarket wheels,as well as a couple other musts. The wheels I want are the Giovanna Mecca Chrome on Chrome. 245/35/20x8.5 +35 Front and 275/30/20x10 +40 Rear. My questions are just like alot of other noobies on here: 1. Will they fit? 2. Can I lower it any without having to modify my fenders-I'd prefer not to shave the rears or roll the fronts. 3. If yes, which coilovers or springs do you guys reco? I am not trying to go for the VIP looks or anything, just a nice clean wheel/suspension set up for a 30 year old High School Basketball Coach. I'm coming from a 2004 Chevy Impala LS w/ 20" TIS 01 wheels and eibach springs/kby struts. Thank you guys in advance.
Attached Thumbnails 06 LS on 20" Giovanna Meccas?-honeymoon-214.jpg   06 LS on 20" Giovanna Meccas?-honeymoon-212.jpg   06 LS on 20" Giovanna Meccas?-honeymoon-211.jpg  
Old 07-08-12, 06:59 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You won't need to do any fender mods. You will be ok in the rear even if you use the shorter camber bars which gve you a bit more upright camber. However if you go to a 285/30/20 rear tire you will have to shave the fender a bit. Do not roll the rear fenders, they are double wall steel with some holes in them and any attempt at rolling will result in a wavy fender lip on the outside. Also make sure those wheels will clear the front brake calipers, as most aftermarket wheels will not.
Old 07-08-12, 07:00 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Nice wheels. I think they should fit without any trouble, but I can't say for sure.

As far as coilovers go, what is your budget? Megan Racing sells some cheap coilovers for the LS. If you want to spend $950-$1,500 the BC Racing and Tein CS coilovers are a good choice. Some of our vendors here on Club Lexus can get you custom spring rates on the BC's.

Here is a link to the Vendor Marketplace: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...rketplace-118/
Old 07-08-12, 07:02 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by ancdmd
You won't need to do any fender mods. You will be ok in the rear even if you use the shorter camber bars which gve you a bit more upright camber. However if you go to a 285/30/20 rear tire you will have to shave the fender a bit. Do not roll the rear fenders, they are double wall steel with some holes in them and any attempt at rolling will result in a wavy fender lip on the outside. Also make sure those wheels will clear the front brake calipers, as most aftermarket wheels will not.
That is a great point about the brakes. A lot of aftermarket wheels do have trouble clearing the brakes on the LS400 and LS430.
Old 07-08-12, 07:18 PM
DSFBLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Thnks for the responses so far. Just eyeballn those front calipers i can tell they r a tight fit. As far as coilovers ive seen both the megan lps and ezs-also the tanabe pro 5s. Budget wise the megans r less expensive but i dont want to cut corners on a former $65k flagship. Id hate to get the ezs and they start squickn in 3-4 months.
Old 07-08-12, 07:24 PM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DSFBLEXUS
So I just purchased an 06 LS ML Blue/Ash w/ 64k miles, of course now I have some plans on some aftermarket wheels,as well as a couple other musts. The wheels I want are the Giovanna Mecca Chrome on Chrome. 245/35/20x8.5 +35 Front and 275/30/20x10 +40 Rear. My questions are just like alot of other noobies on here: 1. Will they fit? 2. Can I lower it any without having to modify my fenders-I'd prefer not to shave the rears or roll the fronts. 3. If yes, which coilovers or springs do you guys reco? I am not trying to go for the VIP looks or anything, just a nice clean wheel/suspension set up for a 30 year old High School Basketball Coach. I'm coming from a 2004 Chevy Impala LS w/ 20" TIS 01 wheels and eibach springs/kby struts. Thank you guys in advance.
1. Depends on if they Giovanna's offer BBK clearance (hi pad/hi disk). Other than that the widths and offsets should fit without any modification.

2. Should be able to without issue.

3. Depends on your budget. If it's low budget then just replacement coils would be fine mated to the factory shocks. The factory shocks will eventually wear and warrant the need to replace. You could just swap out for BC coilovers or K-Sport or Tanabe or Tein...again depends on your budget. (I'd buy your factory springs/shocks)
Old 07-08-12, 09:20 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by DSFBLEXUS
Thnks for the responses so far. Just eyeballn those front calipers i can tell they r a tight fit. As far as coilovers ive seen both the megan lps and ezs-also the tanabe pro 5s. Budget wise the megans r less expensive but i dont want to cut corners on a former $65k flagship. Id hate to get the ezs and they start squickn in 3-4 months.
In that case, I'd recommend the BC coilovers or the Teins. I had Megan Street LP's on my SC300 and the ride quality was terrible. They were really stiff, but they could go really low compared to many of the more expensive coilovers.
Old 07-09-12, 11:48 AM
DSFBLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Just got off phone with a wheel guy-said the meccas will not fit the LS because of the caliper clearance. Sux. Its never easy.
Old 07-09-12, 01:11 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

how about these Vossens

http://www.vossenwheels.com/wheels/VVSCV3.aspx
Old 07-09-12, 01:52 PM
DSFBLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

I do really like those Vossens-i've definitely noticed them before. They just aren't chrome. Not sure what it is, but I just can't see myself sittin on anything other than chrome. Never really been able to get into the black w/ a chrome lip, or matte finish, or even the chrome w/ color either. Most cars look great with those type wheels, just not my personal style. I just remember growing up thinking those Chrome Dayton's w/ the spinner, and some Tri-Star Blades were the *****.
Old 07-09-12, 02:05 PM
VIPDrizzy
Driver

You can always buy them and have them chromed if thats honestly the look you want. you could also consider maybe a spacer for the ones you like however your getting closer to having to do fender work.
Old 07-09-12, 02:34 PM
DSFBLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

how much room do I have to work with before I run into the front fender with a spacer? Again, I'm not looking to slam the car to the ground, just eliminate the gap from fender to tire with the coilovers. I'm not sure just how much the meccas don't fit-I'll talk to the guy again tomorrow, but if its only a 5 or 10mm spacer I need; I should be good though, right? Also, I don't want them fronts stickin out much more than the rears. Thank you all for your comments and help.
Old 07-09-12, 04:59 PM
VIPDrizzy
Driver

You would need to know the size and width of the rims as well as the offset to figure that out. It can be fixed with many different adjustments but if you just want to lower the car a little and have some nice wheels your best bet would be to determine what size the rims are and what the offset will be so you can start from that point. as far as not wanting to do fender work its all a matter of how low you go and what size the rims are as well as the offset those are the key factors in figuring out what your trying to figure out.
Old 07-09-12, 07:17 PM
DSFBLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Front specs would be 245/35/20x8.5 +35 then the additional ?mm spacer. My question then is how far out can i space it without rubbn when its lowered? thnks again!
Old 07-09-12, 07:47 PM
DSFBLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

I just cant stand sittn on bs!!! Haha

Quick Reply: 06 LS on 20" Giovanna Meccas?