LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need help with dealership

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-12, 05:09 PM
lexusGTP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with dealership

I purchased an LS 430 on June 25th from North Park Lexus in San Antonio. It was listed for $21,995, and I said I'll take it for $22,000 out the door, tax and everything included. They agreed. They also agreed to throw in three months of XM (it's free for them, I assume, anyway), fix the Smart Key issue (just wasn't working) and to clean up the vehicle in general.

I love the car. Have always wanted one. It has 72,500 miles on it and there are some things I have noticed, such as the front cig lighter not charging properly and the passenger windshield wiper rubber is falling off. No big deal. I just bought two new wipers and they're already on.

The big issue is that one of the reasons I bought the Lexus was for the Mark Levinson stereo. I said this to my sales guy. I also asked him point blank if there were other issues with the car. No, of course, was the answer.

Turns out the rear sub is blown. I found out a few days later that during the test drive the bass was eq'd all the way down so I wouldn't notice the buzz it would make.

Thursday I called my sales guy, explained the situation, and asked for his help for my next steps. He offered 1/2 off to repair it, then mumbled maybe they would just take care of it, then said he would call me back. No call back yet, and I left a message for him today.

I'm easy going, don't want to cause trouble, but feel they should fix the sub. Not only did they not disclose it, it appears they actively hid the issue by eq'ing the bass low.

What are my options? What would you do? Thanks.
Old 07-02-12, 07:59 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

You got 0 days warranty on a $22K transaction? Not a good plan.

This is why its so important to get a car inspected before you buy. And if a certain feature is very important to a person, the time to fully test it and make sure it works on a used car is before you buy it. ON a used car assume everything is suspect until you check it and verify it works.

Unfortunately at this point it is really your word against theirs. And from their perspective how do they know that your crazy kid brother did not turn the bass all the way up the day after you bought it and blasted the stereo until the sub blew?

Your bet bet is to make an appointment to see the dealer used car sales manager (not the salesperson - they are lackeys with no power to decide anything). Do this as fast as possible...bring the car in and show the mgr the problem with the car and ask them to make it right.

Also I would not accuse them of anything - that would be counter productive. Instead tell them you want to be able to tell your many friends, all your coworkers and your huge family that all live in the area what a great deal you got from the dealership and how well you were treated by the dealer. Tell them that you can't do that right now because of the car's problem's and that's why they need to make the repair and restore your faith and confidence in them.
Old 07-02-12, 09:05 PM
gashed
Driver School Candidate

LexusGTP - I encountered the very same problem with my 04 UL that I purchased last year from a Lexus Dealer. Seems my bass was also turned down - once adjusted the blown speaker was very evident. Like Jabber says, you need to address immediately with Sales Manager. I made one call to Sales Person, then quickly went to Sales Manager. We agreed upon a fair resolution.

Good luck. Be positive and firm in stating your issue and expected resolution.
Old 07-03-12, 08:29 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know how you feel. When I test drove my LS, I test ALMOST everything too... it was all good and fine and loving it. Then one day I get home and I have a bird drop on my windshield and I pull to have the wipers wipe and spray fluid. Nothing was happening, I pulled again and no fluid and no noise from the pump either. My first thought was "oh crap, the washer fluid motor is dead... what the hell..." and I was ready to call and get the car looked at, then I read manual and fluid is push that little small button at end. Who knew...

Anyway, worse feeling is thinking that someone pulled something over you, but it could very well be that the previous owner knew the sub was bad, lowered it and during inspection the dealer didn't catch it either. What is the inspection, 120 point inspection or something, I'm sure they're only turning the radio on, making sure FM/AM works, a CD works, and music comes out. I doubt they're doing much more to the radio.

Go in, even keel, and discuss the situation and that you only had the car x-days and noticed that when you raised the bass, the sub seems to be broken. I would not even make it seem like you know it's an apparent issue or such. I think the manager will want to do right, and if you play the sad buyer that's sad, he/she will be willing to help and make you happy. If you play hard a** and demand this and that, the manager will obviously be just as non cordial.

Good luck, and keep us updated, I'm sure you'll come to a good resolution.
Old 07-03-12, 10:15 AM
lexusGTP
Driver School Candidate

Follow-up: I spoke with the Sales Manager, Tom, just now and he was courteous, polite and immediately suggested that what he was going to do was have someone come pick up my car, give me a loaner, replace it with not an ML-brand sub, but an equivalent, which I am fine with. I asked him if this was going to be at no cost to me, he said he wanted to do it right, so he was going to try and make that happen. He wanted me to call him back on Thursday morning.

So, pleased with the response so far. We'll see what happens on Thursday.
Old 07-03-12, 12:23 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ml

Originally Posted by lexusGTP
Follow-up: I spoke with the Sales Manager, Tom, just now and he was courteous, polite and immediately suggested that what he was going to do was have someone come pick up my car, give me a loaner, replace it with not an ML-brand sub, but an equivalent, which I am fine with. I asked him if this was going to be at no cost to me, he said he wanted to do it right, so he was going to try and make that happen. He wanted me to call him back on Thursday morning.

So, pleased with the response so far. We'll see what happens on Thursday.
I think that's fair for both sides. Obviously the ML subs were not that good to begin with, so something comparable might actually be better at this point in long run. I'm sure he'll be able to do a complimentary replacement "this one time" as a courtesy. Most Lexus dealers do try their best to please the customer.
Old 07-03-12, 03:35 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had issues AFTER I purchased my LS 430 and at the time fortunately I had warranty on my car, thank goodness. Let's be real, the car business is tough and the men and woman who sell cars need every dime they can to KEEP there jobs so at times they keep info from us. Is it wrong? we all know the answer to that, YES!!!!!! That said, Id go to the dealership and see if you can get at least half of the cost, truth is they don't have to do the work without a warranty so half of works or you can see if another shop that does radio work can just get u another part thats gone bad in the Levinson all together, may be cheaper that way. When I change my radio, Im doing another system, Mark Levinson failed to deliver bottom line with LExus. Not a quality of sound issue but, the running parts went fast while the sound was quality, the speakers and parts didnt last(maybe dry rot)!

ALL that said, join the club, car dealers have got me many times over the years and when they see your no easy mark, they get mad, you can't win so just try and be kind to get some relief for the repairs if you decide to have the dealer do the repairs on the radio. I'd go to another source because may be cheaper to find a compatible replacement for the Levinson part giving you issues fellow member. Have a good one and best of with this issue, hope its repaired for free!! LGNM
Old 07-03-12, 06:25 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 03 ls430 in 2008 with 48000 miles CPO. The dealer tried to hide numerous things and gave me a runaround you wouldn't believe. I immediately called corporate and they had everything fixed and sent me a $250 dollar credit service voucher. Lexus does not want anyone bad mouthing their cars. I have since changed dealers for service and the new one is fantastic.
Old 07-03-12, 07:23 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Rubber is 20 bucks but ask.
Cigarette liter of mine hardly lites a handroll anyway. The button turned down, who' to blame, proof?

The Lexus is classic to us, but "moving steel", is the game as car manufacturers hold everyone at the dealer more accountable to keep the brand. Five mil remodel/build yes or no. See the contract.

Whats right? Maybe they "got this but missed that". The hand was played, back and forth, and they came down every time. See the warrantee and see if they will install an aftermarket unit.

What is an aftermarket part cost?
Old 07-05-12, 05:27 PM
lexusGTP
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I again spoke with the Sales Manager today and they are going to take care of it for me. The sales guy called and when my plates come in they'll send a loaner to me, pick my car up, fix it and then return it to me. Can't beat that. I'm happy.

Love the car, btw. Have wanted one just about since they came out and it is just spectacular. Also learning so much from reading through this forum. Tons of useful stuff.
Old 07-06-12, 05:24 AM
Forbidden
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Glad to see everything worked out
Old 08-06-12, 01:45 PM
lexusGTP
Driver School Candidate

I wanted to give a follow-up post. My plates came in so Northpark Lexus in San Antonio brought a loaner car to my office, which I thought was nice. I was a bit disappointed as the loaner was a Camry, base model, and not very clean on the inside. I was hoping for one of the IS models. I appreciated that they brought a car to me, however.

Repair took until the next day. New sub was installed and sounds great. I did have a question about the sound level of the sub, but that was answered to my satisfaction by the 3rd party shop that Lexus used to install the sub.

So, all fixed. I did not inquire about the wind noise I get starting at around 60 mph, as I never went to the dealership. It's not that noticeable, and I fully suspect that, present or not, the dealership might just say that whatever they hear is to be expected. I could be wrong.

Love the car, feel great driving it, and hope to keep it for many years.
Old 08-10-12, 07:37 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

LS430 is one of the best luxury cars ever made. and i don't like big, soft cars.
about the Levinson sub.....ever heard of gorilla glue? it's not fun to get the sub out but once you do,......it just pulls the foam off the edge of the speaker. gorilla glue will make it stronger than ever. or you can replace it.....but if you do you should get a cutting wheel and get the magnet from the old sub. it's ridiculously strong
Old 08-19-12, 08:48 PM
BigBoi94
Driver School Candidate

Yea its always a risk when buying a used car even a CPO one. Always have to check things out before you sign on the dotted line. Glad everything worked out for you. Enjoy the car.