LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What did you pay for your recent LS430 purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-17, 07:09 PM
Jkallinen
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesHuang
I realize there are many threads on this topic but looking to find out what folks who bought in the past few weeks paid for their LS430. Please reply back if you can. Thank you.

Year
Color
Mileage
Package (ML or UL)
Price
Date Purchased
Condition
Complete Lexus Service Records?
Private Party or Dealer
How Long Did You Search?
City & State
Source (eBay, AutoTrader, Cars.com, etc.)
New to Lexus.
Silver
ML
$3636.10 After trading in my 97 Avalon XLS with 222874 miles they gave me $400 for. Car listed at $3690
1/20/2017
Fair to Good
No service records other it came with the complete owners manual with pen and Valet key and original Sticker page.
Dealer, Car Clearance Center, Rochester,MN
Searched for about 3 months online within a 250 mile radius
New Ulm,MN
Old 01-22-17, 07:12 PM
Jkallinen
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Added a link to photos of it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/1001ji...57679433739445
Old 01-22-17, 07:33 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkallinen
New to Lexus.
Silver
ML
$3636.10 After trading in my 97 Avalon XLS with 222874 miles they gave me $400 for. Car listed at $3690
1/20/2017
Fair to Good
No service records other it came with the complete owners manual with pen and Valet key and original Sticker page.
Dealer, Car Clearance Center, Rochester,MN
Searched for about 3 months online within a 250 mile radius
New Ulm,MN
very nice! Saw the pics of your CL. What a bargain!
The following users liked this post:
Jkallinen (01-22-17)
Old 02-06-17, 05:59 PM
jrh356
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Year 2005
Color: Moonlight Pearl
Mileage: 53,700 Miles
Package (ML or UL): ML
Price: $15,500
Date Purchased: 1/19/17
Condition: Interior (9/10) Exterior (9/10)
Complete Lexus Service Records? yes
Private Party or Dealer: Dealer
How Long Did You Search? 3-4 months
City & State: Pittsburgh, PA
Source (eBay, AutoTrader, Cars.com, etc.): cargurus.com

Old 02-07-17, 07:59 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by jrh356
Excellent looking car JR. You're at about the same mileage my 2005 is at. Welcome aboard. By the way, I added this photo to my "Folder of pictures to keep" I love it!
Old 02-07-17, 08:03 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkallinen
For what you've got into it, it's a nice starting point.
The following users liked this post:
Jkallinen (02-08-17)
Old 02-07-17, 09:25 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Very nice indeed. Did not realize how close Moonlight Pearl looks to the Crystal White that I had on my 2005 UL. Stupid low mileage and that car may well outlive us all! Congrats.
Old 02-09-17, 03:57 AM
jbonez89
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1st LS430

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I couldn't give my UL up! Once you have one for a long period, I don't see how you could live without on. 10 year owner of 2004.

I bought my 1st LS430 2006 with UL black on Black 95k miles for $9,000. AMazing deal and wanted to keep it but could not sell my TL, maybe because it was in Stick. My brother warned me that the air ride shocks would go soon and are very expensive to replace to i decided to sell it to a dealer for a profit and used that money to buy the same car without UL, 2004 smart key, nav/back up ML stereo etc. Hopefully i have great luck with this car!!!! This one is the one i described earlier, dark green, almost grey with beige interior 125k miles. Now have 127k on it.
Old 02-09-17, 04:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jbonez89
could not sell my TL, maybe because it was in Stick.
That's sad....almost 2 yrs. ago the USA figure was 7% of all cars were sold with a manual. Today, if you look at BMW and Audi, a manual with a clutch is a $0 cost option. $0 cost, should be $1500+ cheaper!
Old 02-13-17, 02:09 AM
Hwy101
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was perusing the forum and joined up to tell my LS 430 purchase story. It's going to seem hard to believe but absolutely true.

I spent a year with my family in Ireland, so we needed a car. I saw an ad for a 2001 Lexus LS 430 -- 2 owner -- for, wait for it, 1500 euro. I thought it was a typo. But I called up and sure enough that was the price.

I went to the ATM and got cash and went right over to test drive it. I could hardly believe how nice it was, and bought it right there on the spot. The young guy selling it had bought it from the original owner to drive with a buddy to Le Mans in comfort. He had all the service records, and the original owner had kept it garaged and detailed. 130k miles.

The only significant issue was the wheels were peeling and looked terrible -- Irish weather after all. I found a shop that sand blasts and re-dips the wheels for 300 euro for all four, so that was a no-brainer.

All in I got a really nice LS 430 for 1800 euro. That's not the full story, as Ireland has an unusual (read: terrible) tax scheme where cars are taxed on engine size. Naturally the big V8 carries the biggest registration fee -- 1800 euro a year.

When we left Ireland I almost cried at having to give it up. I loved it that much. I even toyed with bringing it back but the right hand drive was too big a hurdle.

I got 2000 euro when I sold it. So the only cost for driving it was the registration.

Here are the pics when I sold it. It still hurts. Deep.

Old 02-13-17, 03:48 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

It is astonishing the difference between used car prices in UK and Ireland (and probably most of the EU) and in the States. Between watching more episodes of Wheeler Dealers and of course Top Gear and what little time spent there, depreciation is crazy.

Guessing it is a combination of older vehicles not meeting current environmental regulations which in turn add to higher registration, MOT, and whatnot, but still seems surreal.
Edit: Seems that you mention that very thing in regards to engine displacement.

The 25 year import rule here is patently absurd. While I know there are a few exceptions that are allowed over earlier due to extreme rarity, these are cars that cost a fortune such as the Porsche 959 and other exotics.

The Aussies and Kiwis I likewise blessed with being able to have the recent JDM marketplace at their beckon call likewise for silly prices. Would be both shocked and depressed to even ponder what a 2007 LS460 similar to mine sells via auction in both countries. Guessing would be around $7000 USD or less...
Old 02-13-17, 05:19 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hwy101
Ireland has an unusual (read: terrible) tax scheme where cars are taxed on engine size. Naturally the big V8 carries the biggest registration fee -- 1800 euro a year
I don't think that we Americans believe in paying for what we use, as a general rule of thumb. We believe more in that the rich get richer. We still have buffets, we have exclusive clubs, it wasn't until the advent of 4G LTE that unlimited data began going away. There are some states that do tax annually based on value. Off the top of my head: NH, MA, CT, VA. The more expensive your car, the more you pay annually. People even engage in insurance fraud to get around it, but there are crack downs (hey, how come Steve has lived in Greenwich for 12 years, yet he has always had New Mexico plates on his car?). All it takes is one wise-guy who decides to report you, and you've got a big problem. I had one friend who engaged in this practice. He got into an accident, and insurance did not cover his loss.

But you have a good point. If it's on cylinders and displacement, and I suppose 4.3 is larger by today's standards, maybe we all would start driving underpowered and imbalanced 1.5 turbos like in the new CR-V. We're lucky it's not like that!
Old 02-13-17, 05:25 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I don't think that we Americans believe in paying for what we use, as a general rule of thumb. We believe more in that the rich get richer. We still have buffets, we have exclusive clubs, it wasn't until the advent of 4G LTE that unlimited data began going away. There are some states that do tax annually based on value. Off the top of my head: NH, MA, CT, VA. The more expensive your car, the more you pay annually. People even engage in insurance fraud to get around it, but there are crack downs (hey, how come Steve has lived in Greenwich for 12 years, yet he has always had New Mexico plates on his car?). All it takes is one wise-guy who decides to report you, and you've got a big problem. I had one friend who engaged in this practice. He got into an accident, and insurance did not cover his loss.

But you have a good point. If it's on cylinders and displacement, and I suppose 4.3 is larger by today's standards, maybe we all would start driving underpowered and imbalanced 1.5 turbos like in the new CR-V. We're lucky it's not like that!
True that. And let us not forget the whole Montana loophole where owners of super spendy cars sport Montana license plates as registration there is stupid cheap even for Ferraris and whatnot.

There is a whole industry there catering to those wanting to do so as all you apparently need is a PO Box and I think to setup maybe an some quasi legal corporation which is handled by locals in Montana. Saves folks say in California a small fortune, but as this has become more well known they are starting to get wise to this.
Old 02-13-17, 05:28 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430

Thanks for slamming Americans and of course, the rich. What is a day without a comment like that.

FYI-Every state that I have ever lived in levies a tax on automobile, boats, motorcycles. Usually, this tax is based on book value the car, not what you tell them the value is. This is driven by VIN number. Naturally, the more expensive cars like the 430 would generate a bigger tax bill. As the car ages, this goes down.
Old 02-13-17, 05:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by brucelee1
Thanks for slamming Americans and of course, the rich. What is a day without a comment like that.

FYI-Every state that I have ever lived in levies a tax on automobile, boats, motorcycles. Usually, this tax is based on book value the car, not what you tell them the value is. This is driven by VIN number. Naturally, the more expensive cars like the 430 would generate a bigger tax bill. As the car ages, this goes down.
Are you talking about sales tax? I am talking on what relatively becomes a property tax billed perpetually, but is never referred to that.

I've spent time over in Europe, and it would be untruthful to try to portend that we don't consume more resources per capita. Hey, this is the greatest nation in the world. I belong to the largest credit union in the country to prove my loyalty to it. But let's be realistic about how fortunate we are.

edit: had to come back and wonder about hypersensitivity at times. If I were to make a comment, we Americans are a bit overweight as a general rule, and it would be beneficial for us to lose some weight, would someone crawl out of the woodwork and go ballistic on it? It's rather comical imho. It reminded me of my last forum, where you were not allowed to mention that something was off on your car, or say "the steering rack shouldn't be replaced at 20k and the air conditioning at 30k, what is going on with American cars?" Inevitably, someone would say they worked 30 years for the UAW who the **** do you think you are, for real...it's all good.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 02-13-17 at 05:57 AM.

Quick Reply: What did you pay for your recent LS430 purchase?